U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,301,938 times

Advertisements

What makes LA people not black? not talking about percentage or population. I'm talking Psyche.

The only things i've read so far is interracial marriages and people being ok being called porch monkey(like what??LOL). And the one anecdotal story about the guy from GA who's all of a sudden from CA because he has a hispanic long distance gf. Apparently, you just have to talk to a person from CA & your a goner.

Quote:
I have a younger relative in college here in Georgia who seems to actually embrace and LOVE being the "black friend." He even flew out to Cali for the Holidays to be with his "long distance internet relationship" Mexican girlfriend that he barely knows.
Like c'mon LOL... Even when your not from or live in CA, your "damaged" by CA.

When you congratulate our brother Kendrick Lamar for his Album of the year win (crosses fingers) for the Grammy's. Think about the album he made, and where he came from to make that album.

Last edited by jamills21; 01-15-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM

29,735 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Guess I was looking at wrong data then.
I believe that data comes from recent annual Census estimates, if I'm not mistaken, which can be pretty inaccurate in some instances. We'll see for sure with the 2020 official Census numbers.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 AM

56,286 posts, read 80,465,056 times
While I understand what people are saying, I don't get the attack on CA Black folks, as a whole.

Just curious, but does anyone know of Black people in leadership positions(government, etc) that are affiliated with let's just say non mainstream groups? For instance, in the area I live in, there are a couple of people from such groups that are in such positions and on the local gospel station, you even have another group that has a show on the radio. So, I was wondering if this occurs in other areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 AM

135 posts, read 109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I believe that data comes from recent annual Census estimates, if I'm not mistaken, which can be pretty inaccurate in some instances. We'll see for sure with the 2020 official Census numbers.

I would be wary of the census data, when it attempts to estimate the Black population. The 2010 Census undercounted DC's Black population by a significant percentage. If the estimates are inaccurate now it's probably because they should be higher. I don't know why people put so much faith in the census data.

2010 Census undercount could spell disaster for blacks, Latinos | theGrio

Census Undercounts Minorities by 1.5 Million | Fox News Latino

Old 01-15-2016, 10:53 AM

18,595 posts, read 26,961,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While I understanding what people are saying, I don't get the attack on CA Black folks, as a whole.

Just curious, but does anyone know of Black people in leadership positions(government, etc) that are affiliated with let's just say non mainstream groups? For instance, in the area I live in, there are a couple of people from such groups that are in such positions and on the local gospel station, you even have another group that has a show on the radio. So, I was wondering if this occurs in other areas.
I don't either. There are 2.5 million blacks in California which is a significant amount with a heavy influence on this entire country from a black perspective. I understand it as well but I don't believe it's a very large portion of the population.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
I would be wary of the census data, when it attempts to estimate the Black population. The 2010 Census undercounted DC's Black population by a significant percentage. If the estimates are inaccurate now it's probably because they should be higher. I don't know why people put so much faith in the census data.

2010 Census undercount could spell disaster for blacks, Latinos | theGrio

Census Undercounts Minorities by 1.5 Million | Fox News Latino
I think it is a matter of being the best bet due to the lack of another population counting option. It isn't uncommon for revisions to come out a year later.

Also, the topic above isn't anything new, as Coleman Young when he was the mayor of Detroit, would talk about how the Census would undercount Detroit's population.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't either. There are 2.5 million blacks in California which is a significant amount with a heavy influence on this entire country from a black perspective. I understand it as well but I don't believe it's a very large portion of the population.
Exactly and the L.A. metro still has about 1.2 million Black people. That is actually about 2 and a half times more than the Black population in the Bay Area. People forget that while the percentage isn't as high as it used to be, South L.A. and nearby places like Inglewood, Carson, Gardena, Compton, Hawthorne, Willowbrook, West Athens, the upper middle class areas previously mentioned and some others still have quite a few Black folks that are concentrated in that area of the metro. This isn't counting the outer areas in the metro/region Black people have moved to. So, even in metros out West, you can find areas of metros with a decent to high Black concentration.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Blacks in California are so damaged, psychologically, it's really sad.

They may appear black,but they don't seem to know they're black.

I would not recommend any black live in CA outside the bay area if you're a socially conscious black or believe in black pride.
I know exactly what you mean. Here are a few examples...

1. Black person going to an event that is majority black....

Black person in the south " great event here"
Black person from California " its not diverse. Where are the white and asian people"

Its like they only feel comfortable around other races of people. If its majority black its bad and if its mixed its ok.

2. Dating....a black person approaching another black person for a possible date

Black person in the south "cool lets exchange numbers...let meet up blah blah blah"

Black person in California " wow I cant believe he asked for my number. I didnt think you all liked us out here"

I actually know black people over 30 from California that have moved to the south and they arent comfortable talking to people that look like them of the opposite sex.

I dont know if this is true but i heard some blacks in Cali were eating tacos and sushi for Thanksgiving. California blacks would rather eat tacos instead of soul food. Its like a Mexican that would rather eat collard greens instead of tacos lol. Not saying all black people must eat bbq/etc but you get where im coming from

This mentality is on the entire west coast. I just hope my west coast brothers and sisters can visit the east coast so they can see what the black experience is and soak up some soul while they are visiting

Last edited by fieldm; 01-15-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

1. Black person doing to an event that is majority black....

Black person from California " its not diverse. Where are the white and asian people"

Its like they only feel comfortable around other races of people. If its majority black its bad and if its mixed its ok.

2. Dating....a black person approaching another black person for a possible date

Black person in the south "cool lets exchange numbers...let meet up blah blah blah"

Black person in California " wow I cant believe he asked for my number. I didnt think you all liked us out here"

I actually know black people over 30 from California that have moved to the south and they arent comfortable talking to people that look like them of the opposite sex.

I dont know if this is true but i heard some blacks in Cali were eating tacos and sushi for Thanksgiving. California blacks would rather eat tacos instead of soul food. Its like a Mexican that would rather eat collard greens instead of tacos lol. Not saying all black people must eat bbq/etc but you get where im coming from

This mentality is on the entire west coast. I just hope my west coast brothers and sisters can visit the west coast so they can see what the black experience is and soak up some soul while they are visiting
Are we having a serious conversation or not?

Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 AM

135 posts, read 109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

1. Black person doing to an event that is majority black....

This mentality is on the entire west coast. I just hope my west coast brothers and sisters can visit the west coast so they can see what the black experience is and soak up some soul while they are visiting

This S&*%t is hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or