U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,865,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Blacks in DC and Atlanta are being pushed out as well. Gentrification is the cause of all of this. Metro DC's black percentage has been decreasing, while Houston's has been increasing.

Now that I think about it, I do understand where you are coming from about us being pushed out, but sadly, that's happening almost everywhere. Hopefully, now that Houston has a black mayor, such things won't happen at a large scale. Parts of Third Ward near Grooves and north of Wheeler can stand a makeover though but with us included, BTW.
All the Mexicans taking over and 3rd Ward is pretty much gone at this point. All they will have left is TSU and few black establishments. The area is drawing lots of whites and mexicans and they're bringing their juice shops and burrito stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The grass isn't always greener.
Well I maybe heading out there for a job within the next few years for a job anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:50 PM

3,997 posts, read 1,962,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
i mean...yes, there are black people who do not like soul food. Not sure where though at least for African Americans.

But of course if your from a different region your gonna like certain things more. No matter what color you are. Asian and White CA people love mexican food/tacos too, are they acting mexican? The whole notion is pretty illogical. I'm not sure what liking a particular dish more than another says anything about a person besides taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do your Black Dominican friends even claim their Blackness? That's a whole 'nother issue altogether. Plus they are of another culture so that makes a difference. Soul food is an American Black phenomenon; it's not limited to specific cities or regions. Wherever you have a critical mass of (American-born) Black people, you can find a soul food restaurant.
i've personally witnessed ignorance like "you dont like cauligreens ?; you aint black" or "you havent seen jumping the broom ?; are you sure your black ?". what makes cauligreens and jumping the broom blacker than griot and something like dancehall queen (or even enemy of the state) ? i understand what you mean by it being specifically an african-american thing but i read something recently (probably somewhere in c-d) that if current immigration trends continue, more than half of the black people in the usa will be caribbean/cape verdean/west african/... in the next 2 decades

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-15-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,017,924 times
Wow Black People in Cali eat Sushi for Thanksgiving lmao

This topic probably should close now !!

And not to offend anyone from Atlanta,but alot of the AA's out there embrace a Black homosexual lifestyle ( No pun intended )

Old 01-15-2016, 09:54 PM

2,035 posts, read 1,447,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Integration and progressiveness fails when blacks aren't benefiting from it. Moving into our neighborhoods and destroying our communities while we're pushed out to some far flung suburb only to revert back to being poverty stricken and living in crime ridden areas.
Yep. That pretty much sums it up...

Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 PM

328 posts, read 375,591 times
Default I'll stab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
LOL....smh. Someone please teach me how to be black. I'm damaged. I need to know, graduating from Morehouse wasn't enough.

You can literally have some of the most successful black communities in the USA--including the wealthiest AA community in the whole USA--some of the most professional blacks outside NYC/DC/ATL. Contribute in business, arts, entertainment, education, etc. yet, still hate.

More successful blacks than Houston, Dallas, Philly, Etc. LOL.

"damaged" is how we treat each other in our own community.
Yes successful, but west coast blacks have a different vibe about us, it's an automstic your vanilla on the inside black on the outside rhetoric with blacks especially here in Atlanta. I feel like I grew up way differently than Brothas did down here and on the east coast.

Basically ol'boy blkgiraffe saying the black unity and collectiveness is nonexistent on the west-coast in many aspects, I tend to agree with him.

No doubt you got the View Park/Windsor Hills, Baldwin/Upper Crenshaw-Leimert cluster to be proud of in LA, but there are many parts of LA where blacks feel they have absolutely no business being day or night for multiple reasons.

I don't find racial tension in the south overall that bad since I've lived in Atlanta, and unfortunately that is not something I can say the same for LA. Some parts of HP and NE LA are hostile towards blacks, after all those years have pasted since those hate crime incidents in the mid 2000s. If your black in LA it seems to be a 180 degree of complexity. Either your in the six figure range or make the industry salary to support your lifestyle and do in fact support your black community through charity, volunteering and attending black events in LA.

Then in LA you have the fakers, haters and those who have yet to discover their blackness lol. Many west coast dudes approach white, Hispanic or Asian women before black females in Cali, and it's not uncommon to see a brotha try to avoid contact with another walking across the street in LA. It's a cold reality, but people ignore it because everyone is simple out there to GRIND for themselves!

It's kinda sad, because LA is a great city, but it's black culture aspect is weak, or getting lost compared to other major U.S. Cities (ATL,NY, DC, HOU)

Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,178,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Yes successful, but west coast blacks have a different vibe about us, it's an automstic your vanilla on the inside black on the outside rhetoric with blacks especially here in Atlanta. I feel like I grew up way differently than Brothas did down here and on the east coast.

Basically ol'boy blkgiraffe saying the black unity and collectiveness is nonexistent on the west-coast in many aspects, I tend to agree with him.

No doubt you got the View Park/Windsor Hills, Baldwin/Upper Crenshaw-Leimert cluster to be proud of in LA, but there are many parts of LA where blacks feel they have absolutely no business being day or night for multiple reasons.

I don't find racial tension in the south overall that bad since I've lived in Atlanta, and unfortunately that is not something I can say the same for LA. Some parts of HP and NE LA are hostile towards blacks, after all those years have pasted since those hate crime incidents in the mid 2000s. If your black in LA it seems to be a 180 degree of complexity. Either your in the six figure range or make the industry salary to support your lifestyle and do in fact support your black community through charity, volunteering and attending black events in LA.

Then in LA you have the fakers, haters and those who have yet to discover their blackness lol. Many west coast dudes approach white, Hispanic or Asian women before black females in Cali, and it's not uncommon to see a brotha try to avoid contact with another walking across the street in LA. It's a cold reality, but people ignore it because everyone is simple out there to GRIND for themselves!

It's kinda sad, because LA is a great city, but it's black culture aspect is weak, or getting lost compared to other major U.S. Cities (ATL,NY, DC, HOU)

I don't know man I live in Southern Louisiana, If we're trying to rank places that are hostile to AA's, there are cities all over the south, east and Midwest I would never choose to live in over LA. I don't care how many black people live there. Yes, LA is not ATL, NY, DC, HOU. But people want to act like its portland or austin. I'll just leave it like that.

Last edited by jamills21; 01-15-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,178,678 times
Hopefully one day you guys can come out to a Taste Of Soul Festival. 350,000 people come out every October on Crenshaw BLVD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1CguXI2mJI

Last edited by jamills21; 01-15-2016 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 PM

13,166 posts, read 16,001,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post

And not to offend anyone from Atlanta,but alot of the AA's out there embrace a Black homosexual lifestyle ( No pun intended )
I'm sorry. Was there a pun in your comment? We missed it.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,221,840 times
For real.. Measuring ones 'blackness' based on food choice is REALLY ignorant. Who cares whether someone eats a taco for Thanksgiving dinner.

Now, dating preference? Well...

Old 01-15-2016, 11:11 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,308,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post

Atlanta motto is "the city to busy to hate".....Atlanta doesnt care about sexuality, race, etc. Its all about making money and having fun. I know your region isnt as open as Atlanta culture but its ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or