U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,579,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Oh, I do not agree with that at all! Birmingham still has far more racist attitudes than both Memphis and New Orleans. Atlanta is way more progressive in this respect than most others, expect maybe Houston.
Birmingham is up and coming, and blacks are moving there for opportunities than Memphis and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 PM

1,450 posts, read 802,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Birmingham is up and coming, and blacks are moving there for opportunities than Memphis and New Orleans.
I lost all my text. I am on forms to jeep my mind thinking

Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 AM

3,626 posts, read 4,351,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
This is the best post on this subject in a while, and pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Just because a place is predominately black, has large raw numbers of black people, or was a black cultural hot spot 40 or 50 years ago, that does not make it a black mecca or a good place for blacks to live and thrive in TODAY. There is a lot more to consider, which is why naming cities like Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit, and Baltimore where blacks can't even find decent jobs and decent homes in respectable numbers is a joke.
Are you serious? Detroit is one of the only cities TODAY where blacks don't have to go into college debt to find a decent paying job. Some of that facts posted in this thread alone showed Detroit ranking in the top 10 for most professional jobs that blacks are in. Detroit also has one of the highest amount of black owned businesses in the nation. As for the homes, umm I believe somebody posted in this thread (probably 100 something pages back) that Detroit has some of the wealthiest black communities in the country. The NW area for example (Southfield, Oak Park, Palmer Woods, ect) is probably the largest concentration of black middle class areas in the Midwest outside of maybe Chicago.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,251,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Are you serious? Detroit is one of the only cities TODAY where blacks don't have to go into college debt to find a decent paying job. Some of that facts posted in this thread alone showed Detroit ranking in the top 10 for most professional jobs that blacks are in. Detroit also has one of the highest amount of black owned businesses in the nation. As for the homes, umm I believe somebody posted in this thread (probably 100 something pages back) that Detroit has some of the wealthiest black communities in the country. The NW area for example (Southfield, Oak Park, Palmer Woods, ect) is probably the largest concentration of black middle class areas in the Midwest outside of maybe Chicago.

Detroit has jobs?

Aren't most young black men unemployed there?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 AM

27,765 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
So....anybody see K.dots performance? lol
Bro, he KILLED IT.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:58 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,169,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bro, he KILLED IT.
Yeah, It made me think back to that conversation we were having about black people in CA not being black...well is this black enough for y'all? lol.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:19 AM

27,765 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Here are some national Black statistics posted by the Census Bureau in recognition of Black History Month: FFF: Black (African-American) History Month: February 2016

Old 02-16-2016, 08:30 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Yeah, It made me think back to that conversation we were having about black people in CA not being black...well is this black enough for y'all? lol.
Does he eat tacos?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,293,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Black people think most black folks in Detroit and Chicago smoking PCP everyday, eating out the garbage can , walking around with no shoes on, ashy, no teeth, drinking moonshine everyday, listening to gucci mane mixtapes and eating lemon pepper wings for dinner daily...These people saying Houston and Dallas have more black history than Detroit and Chicago and those cities dont even have that many all black wealthy communities .

Last edited by fieldm; 02-16-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,989,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Black people think most black folks in Detroit and Chicago smoking PCP everyday, eating out the garbage can , walking around with no shoes on, ashy, no teeth, drinking moonshine everyday, listening to gucci mane mixtapes and eating lemon pepper wings for dinner daily...These people saying Houston and Dallas have more black history than Detroit and Chicago and those cities dont even have that many all black wealthy communities .
You seem to have a vendetta against Houston and Dallas. You keep creating these strawman arguments. Nobody has said Houston and Dallas have more "history" than Detroit and Chicago. They're simply talking about the better places to live in 2016.

Also, I don't get why people think black people are new to the Texas cities. Black people have been around here for a very long time. They just never got the media attention that Chicago and Detroit got in the mid-20th century due to northern white fascination with this new culture many of then had never seen before until the great migrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or