Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 10:43 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True; I think it's because while Freaknik was the king of the spring break-type events back in the day, a couple of other places had similar events. Nightlife across the board used to be more club-dominated but things have changed.

Because it's common knowledge that Houston isn't as music- and entertainment-oriented as Atlanta (which drives a significant part of Atlanta's nightlife). Also it's a fact that Houston doesn't have as many large-scale Black events as Atlanta (another driver of nightlife), and it's also factual that Atlanta's nightlife has become tamer over the years. I'd probably say that Atlanta has become even tamer than Houston over the years since it used to be rowdier.

So there's still a difference--a little more if you include Black gay nightlife--but just not as pronounced.
Again, how do you know? I'm not arguing with you.

You'd be surprised.

Houston is definitely "music- and entertainment-oriented"; it's just low-key. The key word is low-key. Houston is not in the "open" like Atlanta is, although Houston is starting to become more known in black America; this is why people are surprised and fall in love with the city on their first visit. When I was working in the Galleria after I was laid-off, sooooooo many black people from LA, Toronto, New York, Dallas (of course), Louisiana (of course), Atlanta, etc. were in the mall shopping for outfits for the club. There were even many gays coming here to go to the gay clubs; I know Atlanta has Houston beat in this aspect.

Of course, Houston isn't on TV as much as Atlanta as far as reality shows. If you notice, many of the establishments that those people on Atlanta's shows go to are empty, and the shows are filmed at the same spots. LOL.

Houston has large black events as well and many smaller ones that happen simultaneously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You are so delusional my brother lol smh. If you want to keep telling yourself that to feel good about your city then so be it. The good thing about our nightlife is we have several scenes and not just one or two scenes. We have the 21-25 crowd, 30+ crowd, 40+ crowd, the neo soul jlll scott listening, green tea drinking natural hair crowd, the house music crowd, ratchet crowd, "black hollywood" crowd, etc. And you just cant compare cities if one city shuts down at 2am and the other shuts down from 3am-4am. If you think Atlanta only has the reality show crowd then you can believe that lol. I about done discussing this because its a waste of time. Its like me telling the KKK that they should hire more blacks lol
Bye.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I would say that DC has better nightlife (and a more diverse venue options) for black folk(both gay and straight) than Houston does.
Lol. Why?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
You are so delusional my brother lol smh. If you want to keep telling yourself that to feel good about your city then so be it. The good thing about our nightlife is we have several scenes and not just one or two scenes. We have the 21-25 crowd, 30+ crowd, 40+ crowd, the neo soul jlll scott listening, green tea drinking natural hair crowd, the house music crowd, ratchet crowd, "black hollywood" crowd, etc. And you just cant compare cities if one city shuts down at 2am and the other shuts down from 3am-4am. If you think Atlanta only has the reality show crowd then you can believe that lol. I about done discussing this because its a waste of time. Its like me telling the KKK that they should hire more blacks lol
But Houston doesn't shut down at 2AM. It stops selling alcohol at 2AM. The clubs can stay open until 4-5am. And Houston also has several different scenes like you just mentioned. Dude. You simply just do not know much about Houston here.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
What are some pros about Augusta?
Blacks don't have to move into majority white areas in order to live in 'exclusive' neighborhoods.. Belair Hill Estates is a majority black thriving area..

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4518...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4544...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4579...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4526...7i13312!8i6656

Nielsen ranked the top 10 metro areas in 2015 with the highest penetration of black households earning more than $100,000.

1. Washington, D.C., 7.2 percent.
2. Baltimore, 5.1 percent.
3. Norfolk, Va., 3.9 percent.
4. Atlanta, 3.6 percent.
5. Richmond-Petersburg, Va., 3.5 percent.
6. Baton Rouge, La., 3.4 percent.
7. Memphis, Tenn., 3.4 percent.
8. New York, 3.1 percent.
9. Columbus, Ga., 3 percent.
10. Augusta, Ga., 2.9 percent.
Why wealthy blacks are leaving Chicago for the South - Chicago Tribune

With the addition of the Cyber Command, NSA expansion, and the other countless investments on Fort Gordon. I would expect for Augusta to jump into the top 5 quickly. Alot of black people from DC, MD, and VA will be relocating to Augusta over the next few years.

While it's harder to argue what's the best overall city for blacks. I think Georgia wins the best overall state contest pretty easy..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Here's an incomplete list of Houston's events/parties:
:: inDmix.com ::

You're missing clubs like, Swagga Bar and Lounge, The Spot, Café 4212, DBar Fresno, Fox Den, DBar North, 8 Lounge, XAO Midtown, Prospect Park, Prospect Park North, Couture, Status Bar and Lounge, etc.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Vlive, Dreams, Wonderland, Oynx, etc. are strip clubs that turn into clubs. There are after hour spots. All establishments are BYOB.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM

The Flat on Fridays is an Afrocentric place! Love that place.

And don't forget the Louisiana/Zydeco/Creole/Blues clubs.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston is definitely "music- and entertainment-oriented"; it's just low-key. The key word is low-key. Houston is not in the "open" like Atlanta is, although Houston is starting to become more known in black America; this is why people are surprised and fall in love with the city on their first visit.
I said that Houston wasn't as music- and entertainment-oriented as Atlanta. These are much bigger industries in Atlanta than Houston, and many nightlife events are related to that.

Quote:
Of course, Houston isn't on TV as much as Atlanta as far as reality shows. If you notice, many of the establishments that those people on Atlanta's shows go to are empty, and the shows are filmed at the same spots. LOL.
A lot of times, those establishments don't have as many people because the filming either happens at slow hours or it's arranged to be like that; in both cases, that works to the advantage of both the film crew and the establishments.

Quote:
Houston has large black events as well and many smaller ones that happen simultaneously.
Right but not as many as Atlanta. I'm making a point of comparison.

I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have these things but that Atlanta has more of them. I mean Atlanta has almost a million more Black people than Houston and almost double the metro Black population by percentage so it only makes sense.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I said that Houston wasn't as music- and entertainment-oriented as Atlanta. These are much bigger industries in Atlanta than Houston, and many nightlife events are related to that.

A lot of times, those establishments don't have as many people because the filming either happens at slow hours or it's arranged to be like that; in both cases, that works to the advantage of both the film crew and the establishments.

Right but not as many as Atlanta. I'm making a point of comparison.

I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have these things but that Atlanta has more of them. I mean Atlanta has almost a million more Black people than Houston and almost double the metro Black population by percentage so it only makes sense.
It's more like 600,000 to 700,000. Don't get beside yourself with the numbers.

List the events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City