U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 02:39 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm in Atlanta for the weekend. I swear Atlanta and Houston are so similar as far as blacks. I didn't see a difference for real in amount; well, the blacks in Atlanta are little more bougie, and there are a ****load of black celebrities that live in Atlanta. The ratchet blacks, the gay blacks, and country blacks are pretty similar. LOL. I felt like I was in Houston every time UNTIL I went outside and saw the beautiful hills and topography of Atlanta.
That's interesting; one of my frat brothers who lives in Houston visited Atlanta a few months ago and remarked about how Black folks were everywhere, as though he's not really used to seeing that (and that wasn't his first time in Atlanta).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:27 AM

52,631 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
My bad. I meant MD. oops!

It's my understanding that most of the growth of middle/upper middle class suburbs in that area (north VA, parts of MD) including PG County is precisely from commuters who work in DC, but were pushed out of the city proper by higher real estate prices. Or they were lured out by the prospect of getting more land/house for their money. Same difference really.

This is what I'd like to see more of. Instead of rehashing the same old places, which is basically a list of Biggest US Metros.

That's why I mentioned Prince George (suburb) and the Triangle (cluster of 3 midsized, somewhat suburban cities).

I think getting caught up in big cities is leaving out a lot of places. I'll say it again, the Triangle is waaaay more integrated than NYC or Chicago could ever hope to be. I mean that in terms of schooling, housing, and entertainment. I see black and white people together (and many other ethnicities) in restaurants, theaters, parks, as couples, etc. That means something.
In terms of the last segment of your post, there are different dynamics at play. NYC, Chicago and many other Northern cities had long time established ethnic enclaves that has some thing to do with housing patterns, to where even Whites were generally concentrated in certain housing patterns based in part on ethnicity.

Cities/areas with newer development appear more integrated due to changes in laws and governing structure prior to their growth. That in turn set the stage for what appears to be more integrated housing patterns. This also doesn't get into socio-historical aspects of demographics.

However, there is a reason why I said it "appears" that things are more integrated: Durham, Raleigh racial segregation by the dots - Bull City Rising

The Sad Return to Segregated Schools in Raleigh, N.C.

With this said, the Triangle is a smaller area that could be considered in regards to some of the criteria in this thread.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:46 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's interesting; one of my frat brothers who lives in Houston visited Atlanta a few months ago and remarked about how Black folks were everywhere, as though he's not really used to seeing that (and that wasn't his first time in Atlanta).
Probably what he meant was, he had never seen places where there were blacks on top of blacks. Whereas in Houston, you see blacks on top of blacks but with a little bit of something else. Who knows, he could have come to Atlanta when there was black event, especially since he's been there before; I know when Houston hosted the Delta convention in July, you would have thought that the city was an overwhelmingly majority black city.

Right now, I'm in Alpharetta over a relative's house, and I see nothing but Indians, whites, and Mexicans, but we already know that North Atlanta isn't really black at all, especially in Forsyth County (similar to Montgomery County in Houston sans Conroe to an extent).

I would, also, say that blacks in Houston and Atlanta are much more similar than blacks in DC are, despite DC and Atlanta being the top contenders for black meccas. The southern culture, styles, and accents of the two are more aligned with each other than they are with DC.

What I like about Houston is that a black person can get the Atlanta and DC experience with a big splash of LA and NYC diversity; this in itself makes Houston unique, and I can see why people have so many debates about its black ranking. Without the diversity, IMO, it would be right there with Atlanta and DC; the diversity the metro has just offsets the blackness a little bit compared to the other two.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 09-20-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Probably what he meant was, he had never seen places where there were blacks on top of blacks. Whereas in Houston, you see blacks on top of blacks but with a little bit of something else. Who knows, he could have come to Atlanta when there was black event, especially since he's been there before; I know when Houston hosted the Delta convention in July, you would have thought that the city was an overwhelmingly majority black city.
That's what I was thinking as well. And there probably was a Black event going on, but those types of events happen with regularity in Atlanta.

Quote:
Right now, I'm in Alpharetta over a relative's house, and I see nothing but Indians, whites, and Mexicans, but we already know that North Atlanta isn't really black at all, especially in Forsyth County (similar to Montgomery County in Houston sans Conroe to an extent).

I would, also, say that blacks in Houston and Atlanta are much more similar than blacks in DC are, despite DC and Atlanta being the top contenders for black meccas. The southern culture, styles, and accents of the two are more aligned with each other than they are with DC.

What I like about Houston is that a black person can get the Atlanta and DC experience with a big splash of LA and NYC diversity; this in itself makes Houston unique, and I can see why people have so many debates about its black ranking. Without the diversity, IMO, it would be right there with Atlanta and DC; the diversity the metro has just offsets the blackness a little bit compared to the other two.
Yeah I lived in the northern 'burbs of Atlanta when I was still there, and Alpharetta is certainly less Black. Forsyth County has a certain history so you're just not going to see as many of us there.

I can agree with you about Blacks in Houston and Atlanta being more similar; both of those cities are more laid back and much less career-obsessed than DC as well, which makes a difference.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,347,621 times
That criteria is a bit ridiculous.

20 mostly black middle class suburbs? 20? It's hard to find even a few in most metro areas.
4 hop hop stations?
It HAS to have an HBCU? why?
The rest can be debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
Historically yes, but with the high crime rates, and urban decay to me it doesn't really speak out. Parts of Maryland, and Atlanta speak out to me more. Also the middle/upper class black neighborhoods in L.A are still very strong.
Quote:
I/m glad you included black middle class/upper class, because people seem to act like Detroit is a black mecca.
Alot of these black meccas have high crime rates, Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, ect. Atlanta has suburbs much more dangerous than Detroit's. Baltimore saw a huge increase in crime this year and is just about leading the nation in homicide rates. Blacks don't dominate the LA area, at all.

Despite what you think of when you hear Detroit, there is a large number of middle class blacks in the metro area. Many reside in the best neighborhoods in the city and in the inner ring suburbs like Southfield. Some in white collar, many in healthcare, many in blue collar, and many own their own businesses. Detroit has one of the highest amounts of black owned businesses in the nation. Not to mention a city government that is mostly black and countless entertainment and events in the area for blacks or put together by blacks. And the black history isn't even debatable.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:39 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,728,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

20 mostly black middle class suburbs? 20? It's hard to find even a few in most metro areas.
4 hop hop stations?

Alot of these black meccas have high crime rates, Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, ect. Atlanta has suburbs much more dangerous than Detroit's. Baltimore saw a huge increase in crime this year and is just about leading the nation in homicide rates. Blacks don't dominate the LA area, at all.

Despite what you think of when you hear Detroit, there is a large number of middle class blacks in the metro area. Many reside in the best neighborhoods in the city and in the inner ring suburbs like Southfield. Some in white collar, many in healthcare, many in blue collar, and many own their own businesses. Detroit has one of the highest amounts of black owned businesses in the nation. Not to mention a city government that is mostly black and countless entertainment and events in the area for blacks or put together by blacks. And the black history isn't even debatable.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's what I was thinking as well. And there probably was a Black event going on, but those types of events happen with regularity in Atlanta.

Yeah I lived in the northern 'burbs of Atlanta when I was still there, and Alpharetta is certainly less Black. Forsyth County has a certain history so you're just not going to see as many of us there.

I can agree with you about Blacks in Houston and Atlanta being more similar; both of those cities are more laid back and much less career-obsessed than DC as well, which makesu a difference.
Houston is having more black events nowadays with Houston Appreciation Weekend, Live After 5 (5 free blues concerts every summer), SWAC championship football and basketball games, Grooves Fest, etc.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

4 hop hop stations?

Here are some census tracts that are predominately Black(some over or under 80%) and have a median household income above the state figure(and at least around or above the metro and national figure) in the Detroit area: Census Tract 162300 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 162400 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 538400 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 538200 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 538100 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 171400 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161800 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 162000 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161900 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 171100 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160700 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160800 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 543000 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 543100 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542900 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542500 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 161500 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 546300 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 546200 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 162200 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161700 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160600 in Oakland County, Michigan

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-20-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some census tracts that are predominately Black(some over or under 80%) and have a median household income above the state figure(and at least around or above the metro and national figure) in the Detroit area: Census Tract 162300 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 162400 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 538400 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 538200 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 538100 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 171400 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161800 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 162000 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161900 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 171100 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160700 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160800 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 543000 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 543100 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542900 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542500 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 161500 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 546300 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 546200 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 162200 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 161700 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Tract 160600 in Oakland County, Michigan
More from the Detroit area: Census Tract 161300 in Oakland County, Michigan

Census Block Group 160500-2 in Oakland County, Michigan (block group)

Census Tract 501800 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Block Group 531200-1 in Wayne County, Michigan (block group in Boston-Edison neighborhood)

I think I've covered the census tracts that fit, but could probably add more census block groups to the list.

Some radio stations: FM 98 WJLB - The D's Hip-Hop & R&B

Mix 92.3 - Detroit's R&B & Old School Jams

Praise 102.7 | Detroit, Inspiration, Gospel, Radio, WPZR

Hot 107.5 | Detroit, Rap, Hip Hop, Urban, Radio

105.9 Kiss-FM | Detroit, R&B, Soul, Radio, WDMK

whpr881

wexl1340.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-21-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 02:53 PM

Here is the same thing for the Philadelphia area(above state median household income and predominately Black census tracts). Census Tract 401700 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 401800 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 402100 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 027000 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 025500 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 025400 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 025800 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 026100 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 202500 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 005400 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 402800 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 406401 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 702802 in Burlington County, New Jersey

Census Tract 702801 in Burlington County, New Jersey

Census Tract 702811 in Burlington County, New Jersey

Census Tract 702810 in Burlington County, New Jersey

Census Block Group 202402-4 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania (block group)

Will search later......

Radio stations: Power 99 - Philadelphia's Hip Hop and R&B

Praise 103.9 | Philadelphia, Inspiration, Gospel, Radio, WPPZ

WDAS - Philly's Best R&B & Old School

Gospel Highway Eleven Gospel Highway Eleven - Philadelphia's FIRST ALL GOSPEL Music Station

Boom 107.9 Philly | Throwback Hip-Hop, WPHI, Philly

Old School 100.3 | The Best Old School Music in Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or