U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 01:58 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times

Advertisements

I said you are acting like Dallas has the amenities of Montgomery, AL. I don't care what Montgomery offers for for just blacks that you somehow are hanging on. Dallas is far more well rounded and has the amenities of cities of it's peers. Clearly Montgomery having an HBCU does not mean it is on the level of Dallas even on it's best day.

I have been browning lipstick alley for the better part of the last decade and many if not most on there have said great things about DFW. You're over exaggerating. The preference is higher for Houston but DFW is still popular for people looking for relocation on there. And it's doing something right if DFW has the second fastest growing Black population since 1990. Also, if your friend says there is no Black people in DFW, he's either lying or he doesn't know much about the metroplex.

As you can see from the posts from Red John earlier in this thread, Houston and DFW black population is about the same so there is no need for any confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 02:31 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I said you are acting like Dallas has the amenities of Montgomery, AL. I don't care what Montgomery offers for for just blacks that you somehow are hanging on. Dallas is far more well rounded and has the amenities of cities of it's peers. Clearly Montgomery having an HBCU does not mean it is on the level of Dallas even on it's best day.

I have been browning lipstick alley for the better part of the last decade and many if not most on there have said great things about DFW. You're over exaggerating. The preference is higher for Houston but DFW is still popular for people looking for relocation on there. And it's doing something right if DFW has the second fastest growing Black population since 1990. Also, if your friend says there is no Black people in DFW, he's either lying or he doesn't know much about the metroplex.

As you can see from the posts from Red John earlier in this thread, Houston and DFW black population is about the same so there is no need for any confusion.
I'm not over exaggerating anything, so get your panties out a bunch, and stop being sensitive. I read Lipstick Alley just like you, and I see what people say.

Houston almost has the same amount of blacks as LA and Philadelphia, but then black feel is different in all 3.

I dismissed you a long time ago as well.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:33 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm not over exaggerating anything, so get your panties out a bunch, and stop being sensitive. I read Lipstick Alley just like you, and I see what people say.

Houston almost has the same amount of blacks as LA and Philadelphia, but then black feel is different in all 3.

I dismissed you a long time ago as well.
How are you going to dismiss anybody on a message board. Grow up for once. If you don't want one responding to you, then stop replying or just simply find another message board. The Houston and DFW MSA's have a larger black population than LA and nearly as large as Philadelphia and are you saying Philadelphia doesn't feel as black as Houston because you would be dead wrong if so. My apologies that I don't make Houston something it is not like you do.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:48 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
Why debate with someone who clearly has no clue what they're talking about?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
From a native Dallasite living in Atlanta- Atlanta gets the edge for the 30 and under crowd focused on the entertainment and party scene. DFW blows Atlanta away if you are career and family oriented due to better infrastructure, amenities, housing, larger corporate presence, GDP and K-12 schools.
I'm a long-time Atlanta resident who returned to Atlanta in 2013 after working 5 years in DFW. There's no aspect of the DFW area that "blows Atlanta away". Especially in relation to the subject matter of this thread. Black life in DFW was better than I expected but that's certainly an area where Atlanta blows DFW away.

I'm not understanding on what basis some are saying DFW is better for black families than Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I'm a long-time Atlanta resident who returned to Atlanta in 2013 after working 5 years in DFW. There's no aspect of the DFW area that "blows Atlanta away". Especially in relation to the subject matter of this thread. Black life in DFW was better than I expected but that's certainly an area where Atlanta blows DFW away.

I'm not understanding on what basis some are saying DFW is better for black families than Atlanta.
Personally I was saying that DFW seems overall more family-oriented and caters more to families than Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Personally I was saying that DFW seems overall more family-oriented and caters more to families than Atlanta.
OK, gotcha.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:26 AM

1,004 posts, read 600,277 times
I could see how DFW is perceived to be much more family-friendly than Atlanta. But Atlanta has its share of family-friendly areas the further away you are from the city itself and the whole Black Hollywood crowd there. However, school districts around DFW are generally better than the school districts around Atlanta. Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton County have the better school districts there. The ISD's around Dallas serve smaller numbers of students than the county K-12 districts you see in Georgia and can vary widely depending on their location, but families do have more variety and choices when it comes to living in certain areas for their school districts. Due to the popularity of the area for families, a lot of activities are geared towards families more than singles. Some of Atlanta's suburbs have bars and lounges that cater to singles. You won't find that as much in the suburbs of DFW.

Also, DFW as a whole seems to be a lot more religious and conservative than ATL. Don't get me wrong, ATL has its share of megachurches and has a strong religious element to it, but due to the presence of the entertainment industry there, it tends to attract a different type of crowd than the DFW area does. ATL has a much more party-type crowd and being single in your 30s isnt abnormal there. People in Texas tend to get married a lot younger than people on the coasts, and with the large number of transplants from the Northeast who moved to ATL in the last three decades, it definitely skews the stats, since their mentality about marriage and family are different from that of southerners. DFW is a lot more corporate than ATL, which is pretty corporate in its own right, but there are way more companies headquartered in DFW, and there seems to be a lot of opportunity there for people looking for jobs and seems to attract more highly-skilled and educated workers than ATL does as of late (yes, I know ATL has more college-educated blacks than DFW). While ATL's economy has improved, it's always been a place where the ratio of people looking for jobs far outnumbers the actual number of jobs. And a lot of black people in ATL tended to work more in Government, education, or had their own hustle. Their presence in the ATL corporate world isn't that high. So for your average black man with a family to provide for is seeking opportunities, I can definitely see how DFW is a more attractive choice if the opportunity is available a lot more readily than it is in ATL.

Sure, You can find a God-fearing, churchgoing man in ATL (or at least outside 285) , but I bet it's a lot easier in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Case in point, I have a ladyfriend who moved to Atlanta from Mississippi. Nice woman, but very naive and not very worldly on a lot of matters. Had very strong views on certain topics that would rub people the wrong way. And she dealt with the issue of being unable to find a man in Atlanta. Black Women in Atlanta have a reputation for being very aggressive when pursuing a man and have no problems with approaching a man. It was the only city I've been to where I would see straight women go to strip clubs to look for men. A lot of the black men there have no problems with this environment, and enjoy what comes with that, so it seems like it's much harder to find a man who is ready to settle down. This is partially due to the perception and myth that black women outnumber black men in Atlanta by some wide ratio. And the fact that ATL has a large number of gay black men, which makes the pickings a lot slimmer so to speak. My friend felt that the men should approach her and let them pull all the weight. And she certainly was not about to go to a strip club...Men in Texas seem to be a lot more aggressive in pursuing women, and when she moved to Dallas, it seemed that her dating life improved immensely.

Yes, this is all anecdotal, and someone else's experiences may be vastly different, but I can definitely see how DFW is PERCEIVED to be more family friendly than Atlanta, but the truth is a lot more complex than that.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:32 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,116,135 times
I thought I listed the criteria for being considered a black mecca.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:41 PM

1,004 posts, read 600,277 times
Also, I will add that one of the reasons why DFW and arguably Houston are perceived to be a lot more family-friendly than Atlanta is partially due to the overall culture of Texas. If you're content enough to just wake up, go to work, go home, watch TV and do that everyday for 40 years (and eating out on the weekends), Texas will be heaven to you. That's great if you're raising a family because you need that type of stability when raising one. Yes, Atlanta has a strong element of this as well (living far out in Lawrenceville or Marietta or Kennesaw) is a much more Texas-like experience than Atlantans care to admit), but the entertainment industry does add a little something in terms of entertainment options and more cultural opportunities due to the history of Atlanta.

But for someone more ambitious and looking for more culture or more out of life will find cities like Dallas and Houston to be boring. Nice people, yes, but they did not seem to be really ambitious or advanced-minded when it comes to taking life by the horns. People who prefer a more energetic place (or lots of outdoor activities) will find the people there to lack that "spark" or it factor that you get in the coastal cities. The culture in the state overall is very sanitized and caters to Whites and Latinos more.

A lot of the Black Texans or the ones who moved there from some other southern state seem to be offended when someone says that the state isn't as progressive or offers as much black culture as they seem to think it has or that they aren't missing anything by not visiting other places like NYC, DC, or even ATL, but a lot of them probably have never left the state or traveled outside of the South and don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or