U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 996,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's crazy to think about the fact that there's no city in which 10% of Black households earn 100k. That's really indicative of the paucity of two-income households.
Honestly, I think a good complementary list would be one that adjusts the 100k to the income of the region or city. Say, what percent of Black households are in the top "x%" of income in a metro. Not to say it would be better, but rather nice to compare with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:12 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,598,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. I was just getting ready to say that. Dallas also had Black Restaurant Week a few weeks ago. Black Restaurant Week is a nationwide thing. It's not just exclusive to Houston.
I never said it was.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,598,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. I was just getting ready to say that. Dallas also had Black Restaurant Week a few weeks ago. Black Restaurant Week is a nationwide thing. It's not just exclusive to Houston.
While we are at it, is this the black weekend you're referring to?
Black Restaurant Week-End | Julia Pearl | Plano, TX | Events | D Magazine

Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,014,686 times
Old Historical Harlem is the best criteria.Today it would have to be Atlanta & D.c like everyone been saying in this thread.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,014,686 times
But BlackWallStreet in Oklahoma was the greatest Black Mecca we ever had.Until Racism & Hate ruined that Great town.People need to learn about it.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 AM

27,817 posts, read 24,873,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
But BlackWallStreet in Oklahoma was the greatest Black Mecca we ever had.Until Racism & Hate ruined that Great town.People need to learn about it.
It was rebuilt but just like other prosperous Black enclaves like Jackson Ward in Richmond, Parrish Street in Durham, Sweet Auburn in Atlanta, etc., the legacy of desegregation rendered them shells of their former selves. For others, urban renewal did the trick.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 AM

7,181 posts, read 3,898,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
It wasn't a Mecca. It was a powerful enclave, but Mecca has DRAWING POWER. Harlem USED to be a Black Mecca. Atlanta was, but much like DC, gentrification is pushing Black people outside of the city. While it hasn't reached Black Mecca status, yet, more and more educated black people seem to be looking towards Houston. Wherever the next Black mecca is, I hope we look towards the CITIES, because reverse white flight is real, and I'd hate to see us stuck in declining suburbs and exurbs.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM

867 posts, read 1,024,293 times
Quote:
And was he doesn't have much of a military presence. There's the a small Coast Guard presence (the least black branch of the military at 6%) and the MEPS at Fort Hamilton
Im not sure what you are saying. Judging from "the MEPS at Fort Hamilton" part of your statement...Im gonna assume youre talking about NYC. And I gather youre trying to tell me they don't have a large military presence? This may speak to why their position is low on the list...or not. In any event, there is a military presence and significant Federal presence in NYC...assuming that's what youre talking about.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM

7,181 posts, read 3,898,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Im not sure what you are saying. Judging from "the MEPS at Fort Hamilton" part of your statement...Im gonna assume youre talking about NYC. And I gather youre trying to tell me they don't have a large military presence? This may speak to why their position is low on the list...or not. In any event, there is a military presence and significant Federal presence in NYC...assuming that's what youre talking about.
That was supposed to say NYC. It was a strange AutoCorrect, and it's too late to edit.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:10 PM

27,817 posts, read 24,873,797 times
Quote:
It wasn't a Mecca. It was a powerful enclave, but Mecca has DRAWING POWER. Harlem USED to be a Black Mecca. Atlanta was, but much like DC, gentrification is pushing Black people outside of the city. While it hasn't reached Black Mecca status, yet, more and more educated black people seem to be looking towards Houston. Wherever the next Black mecca is, I hope we look towards the CITIES, because reverse white flight is real, and I'd hate to see us stuck in declining suburbs and exurbs.
I think you're missing something very important here: the growth of the suburban professional Black middle class is a big part of what pushed cities like Atlanta and DC to mecca status, at least in the post-war/post-Civil Rights era. Also, let's not act as though all Black folks had glamorous lives in the city before opting for the suburbs because that's not true either. The reality is that the issues that plague us as a people will be found in both central cities and suburbs; when we were relegated almost exclusively to central cities, they were "declining" as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or