Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 11:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Moving on to the DC suburbs.

Tract 8004.08 (Glenn Dale, MD) - 54.3%
Tract 8005.13 (Bowie, MD) - 55.5%
Tract 8006.08 (Upper Marlboro, MD) - 54.5%
Tract 8035.13 (Largo, MD) - 49.7%
Tract 7026.01 (Silver Spring, MD) - 49.7%
Tract 7025 (Silver Spring, MD) - 51.8%
Tract 7015.05 (Silver Spring, MD) - 84.3%

In the District.

Tract 16 (Colonial Village/Shepherd Park) - 75.5%
Tract 26 (Crestwood) - 59.6%
Tract 76.04 (Hillcrest) 27.5%
On the Real the DMV area is not only a black mecca but an us economic powerhouse. You will find more family households over 6 figures in the DMV area than anywhere in the country.

The richest counties by family household income 7 of the top 10. I believe are the DMV area.

There are more six figure black households in the DMV metro area than any other area in the entire US.

DMV is the black mecca. NYC,ATL and LA are all really nice but they aint the mecca. Crunch the numbers. More black households make six figure here in the DMV. More than anywhere else in the US.

I bet if you ran a report on the DMV,ATL,LA and NYC. The Dmv would be on the top for most 6 figure black households incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
On the Real the DMV area is not only a black mecca but an us economic powerhouse. You will find more family households over 6 figures in the DMV area than anywhere in the country.

The richest counties by family household income 7 of the top 10. I believe are the DMV area.

There are more six figure black households in the DMV metro area than any other area in the entire US.

DMV is the black mecca. NYC,ATL and LA are all really nice but they aint the mecca. Crunch the numbers. More black households make six figure here in the DMV. More than anywhere else in the US.

I bet if you ran a report on the DMV,ATL,LA and NYC. The Dmv would be on the top for most 6 figure black households incomes.

Study shows Maryland is the wealthiest state in the Union | Washington D.C. Sun Times

Old 09-22-2015, 01:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'll repeat, DC metro is more diverse than Houston.
I'm not disputing that. It's over.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yet blacks in D.C. are more politically powerful and more educated and more wealthy, hence why it's considered a black mecca.

I mean, there's a thread in the Houston forum going on right now about how clubs are discriminating against minorities..lol.
Why are you such a Houston hater?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:

Before I get into the criteria list first lets talk about rich vs expensive. PG is more expensive than rich. Potomac, MD or the Gold Coast is rich, the rest of most of that shyt is just expensive. Most of those areas are in PG County. PG is expensive not rich. Rich places you have top notch shopping, very low crimes, great schools, etc. PG has none of that. People still have to go to VA to shop/etc so lets stop boosting that PG is rich when in reality its a crime infested hell hole. You got a few good communities outside the Beltway but overall the country is extremely ghetto. You cant say "We the black county in America" when it's the worst in crime and schools in the DMV

Nightlife: Atlanta wins. DC nightlife used to be good for blacks until Dream Love/Vip H20 closed around 2008 ish. In DC blacks can either hang with the young professionals or the Go Go crowd. In Atlanta we have the 21-25 crowd, 30+ crowd, house music crowd, neo soul/jazz crowd, black Hollywood crowd, underground hip hop crowd, etc. Plus people outside the Go Go crowd don't really party in DC. The buppies in DC don't know how to let loose and have fun. Now they party at Go Go's but the other spots it's like people are too scared to ruin their easter suit and dance. In Atlanta we turn up all night to our music. I will still give DC props on the HU Homecoming Block parties at Dream/Vip Club back in the day. Those were legendary.

Middle Class/Upper Middle Class neighborhoods: Tie. DC people will say they won this because the houses cost more but it's basically the same house and here but it's just more expensive there.

Radio stations: Atlanta wins. I think DC has two Hip Hop stations and one old school R&B stations. Atlanta has 94.5, 107.9, 103.3, 97.5, 97.9, 104.1, 102.9 and 89.3 on late Friday/Saturday night.

Black Events: DC has the CBC Weekend and HU Homecoming. There are a few other smaller events but these are the big events. Atlanta has Honda Battle of the Bands, 2 Hair Shows (70k each show), One Musicfest, A3C Music Festival, Neighborhood Awards, BET Hip Hop Awards, House in the Park, Jerk Chicken Festival, V-103 Car and Bike Show (60k), Luda Weekend, Jeezy Bday Weekend, etc, etc, etc. (Not including national music tours or festivals)

HBCU: Atlanta wins. Atlanta has the AUC (Clark/Spelman/Morehouse) and DC has HU.

History: What significant national history does your city have regarding African Americans? Tie. Atlanta had the Civil Rights Movement which happened in DC lol. Both cities had other events/ and other prominent people so I will just make this a tie.

Trends: What trends have your city created? Not local trends but national trends. Atlanta has had mainstream black entertainment on lock since the late 90s. Music trends. Go Go is still a local thing. Yeah they had a few songs that went mainstream and a few people that have copied that sound but overall it's still a regional sound.

Black businesses: Tie

Mayor: Tie

Unemployment Rate: DC wins

Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Back to talking about DC vs ATL smh....

Old 09-22-2015, 06:24 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

There are quite a few predominately Black neighborhoods/areas with 6 figure in the NYC area as well. I don't know or think it is as many as the DMV, but there are quite a few in the NY part of the NYC metro. There is a thread that I posted info on that is mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:26 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's only natural that they will be fixtures in a conversation like this, but other cities have been talked about a good deal as well.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Don't worry. I'm going to add some info for Chicago soon, like I did for Philly and Detroit. I'll try to do the same for other areas as well. It will show that most of the original criteria, with some slight adjustments, can actually be found on other areas.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

Income levels is one thing, but it's not everything. It must also be considered that the DMV has a significantly higher cost of living than Atlanta in particular and is close to being on par with NYC.

While rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt and these types of lists don't come out nearly as much as they used to, here are two relatively recent lists here to consider:

The Cities Where African-Americans Are Doing The Best Economically - Forbes

Best Places for Black-Owned Businesses - NerdWallet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City