Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 04:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times

Advertisements

There's seriously going to be a Love and Hip Hop Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
There's seriously going to be a Love and Hip Hop Houston?
I sincerely hope not.

*edit*
It appears to be true.
http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/...p-houston.html

Old 06-26-2016, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 7,221 times
I'm in LA an recently I've been seeing a trend where western black people who want to be in black areas but still stay in the west coast are moving here from the other west coast cities that are losing black pop, like I know some black ppl who moved here since 2010 from Portland, Bay Area, and Seattle I know that census wise we've been losing black pop in the but I think it will stabilize by the 2020 census, Cali in general is becoming more popular in the black community then the northeast cities, maybe cause of all the black related media coming out of SoCal recently (Straight Outta Compton movie, the OJ documentaries, all the hip hop coming out here: Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, YG etc.)

Old 06-27-2016, 05:07 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Gucci Mane View Post
I'm in LA an recently I've been seeing a trend where western black people who want to be in black areas but still stay in the west coast are moving here from the other west coast cities that are losing black pop, like I know some black ppl who moved here since 2010 from Portland, Bay Area, and Seattle I know that census wise we've been losing black pop in the but I think it will stabilize by the 2020 census, Cali in general is becoming more popular in the black community then the northeast cities, maybe cause of all the black related media coming out of SoCal recently (Straight Outta Compton movie, the OJ documentaries, all the hip hop coming out here: Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, YG etc.)
Probably LA natives are leaving the West Coast for the south, generally speaking. The rest of the blacks on the West Coast still want to be close to home and not move across country so they move to LA.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Aren't you also getting some Black people on the West Coast moving a little inland to say Sacramento(second Blackest major city in CA actually behind Oakland), the Inland Empire, Lancaster/Palmdale, as well as Las Vegas. I believe that Vegas is the Western metro with the highest Black percentage at about 10-11% Black.

Also, a similar thing is occurring in the Northeast, where some Black people just move a little further inland or to the suburbs, if they don't move Down South. That is partially why cities such as Rochester and Harrisburg are the Blackest major cities in their states.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Quote:
I'm working to get back there one day to LA. The cultural vibe is amazing and I prefer the West Coast to my current location in the South. Although the cost of living is excellent, and you can by a home for next to nothing compared to greater LA, there is still many things to be desired. I do know a lot of ATL people always talk about moving to California. every since I moved here, Ive known two people that were in the process of moving from ATL to LA. You might be on to something! Wages suck in GA, and I think career wise black people can get ahead and both places equally with a bachelors degree. Ive gotten work in both so I am speaking from experience.

However, I do think it would bottom out untill 2025, there's a lot of areas east of the 110 Freeway that are still shedding black populations that have been rooted there almost 60-70+ years. A lot of migration out of LA is still happening, and a lot of it is due to the COL and other factors. Like the above poster said, a lot of blacks are moving to Sacramento, Las Vegas, Phoenix and suburbs of LA (I.E. and High Desert cities).

Old 06-27-2016, 02:10 PM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Watched the BET Awards last night, a big platform for black media and entertainment and no better place to have it than Los Angeles. Yeah LA is still a black mecca... anyone who doubts this is blind or delusional. Visits don't count, you have to entrench yourself in the history of the city. Visit Leimert Park, Exposition; Watts Towers...then take a drive on Angeles Vista. Gotta show respect to what the metro has done for black people as it got a fairly late start in the growth game.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Watched the BET Awards last night, a big platform for black media and entertainment and no better place to have it than Los Angeles. Yeah LA is still a black mecca... anyone who doubts this is blind or delusional. Visits don't count, you have to entrench yourself in the history of the city. Visit Leimert Park, Exposition; Watts Towers...then take a drive on Angeles Vista. Gotta show respect to what the metro has done for black people as it got a fairly late start in the growth game.
LA is more of a legacy Black mecca; it doesn't have the current momentum of ATL, DC, Houston, Dallas, etc. but nobody can deny the cultural contributions it has made to Black America over the years.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
a lot of award shows are filmed in l.a. because of all the celebrities.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 7,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Aren't you also getting some Black people on the West Coast moving a little inland to say Sacramento(second Blackest major city in CA actually behind Oakland), the Inland Empire, Lancaster/Palmdale, as well as Las Vegas. I believe that Vegas is the Western metro with the highest Black percentage at about 10-11% Black.

Also, a similar thing is occurring in the Northeast, where some Black people just move a little further inland or to the suburbs, if they don't move Down South. That is partially why cities such as Rochester and Harrisburg are the Blackest major cities in their states.
Yeah that's going on here, but Lancaster-Palmdale is part of LA county and the I.E. Is part of the Greater La metro area, idk about percentage wise but the LA area is still has the largest number of black people in the west and in the top 10 in the country just by numbers, even higher if you add Riverside-San Bernardino to it as well, you gotta remember that unlike the south, LAs black population didn't boom till the 1950s and 60s when it suddenly blew up so there wasn't much of a foundation here then after the riots people stated leaving for the south where there already was a "bedrock" of black population that grew even more with immigration, eventually when the black population stabilizes here and black people start coming back I think the whole LA region could become more of a "black capital", maybe not to Atlanta levels but like NYC, but blacks still have a lot of political and cultural representation here, the CEO of LA Metro Phillip Washington is black for example.

Last edited by Los Angeles Gucci Mane; 06-27-2016 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City