U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2016, 03:39 PM
 
52,659 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Reputation: 11628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Gucci Mane View Post
Yeah that's going on here, but Lancaster-Palmdale is part of LA county and the I.E. Is part of the Greater La metro area, idk about percentage wise but the LA area is still has the largest number of black people in the west and in the top 10 in the country just by numbers, even higher if you add Riverside-San Bernardino to it as well, you gotta remember that unlike the south, LAs black population didn't boom till the 1950s and 60s when it suddenly blew up so there wasn't much of a foundation here then after the riots people stated leaving for the south where there already was a "bedrock" of black population that grew even more with immigration, eventually when the black population stabilizes here and black people start coming back I think the whole LA region could become more of a "black capital", maybe not to Atlanta levels but like NYC, but blacks still have a lot of political and cultural representation here, the CEO of LA Metro Phillip Washington is black for example.
Yes, I knew about this. I'm wondering who are these people that will come back. Will it be those that went to Vegas, Phoenix or TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,291,154 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
I'm working to get back there one day to LA. The cultural vibe is amazing and I prefer the West Coast to my current location in the South. Although the cost of living is excellent, and you can by a home for next to nothing compared to greater LA, there is still many things to be desired. I do know a lot of ATL people always talk about moving to California. every since I moved here, Ive known two people that were in the process of moving from ATL to LA. You might be on to something! Wages suck in GA, and I think career wise black people can get ahead and both places equally with a bachelors degree. Ive gotten work in both so I am speaking from experience.

However, I do think it would bottom out untill 2025, there's a lot of areas east of the 110 Freeway that are still shedding black populations that have been rooted there almost 60-70+ years. A lot of migration out of LA is still happening, and a lot of it is due to the COL and other factors. Like the above poster said, a lot of blacks are moving to Sacramento, Las Vegas, Phoenix and suburbs of LA (I.E. and High Desert cities).
Atlanta and LA have some type of connection for blacks. A good number of blacks from one city want to move to the other city and vise versa. I dont know why its like that. Take me for example. Im a GA native and I always had the urge to visit LA. I visit there often. I dont know why I keep going back but I do. I didnt care to much for the cold water on the beach,traffic or the overall nightlife but I still go back again and again and have fun so IDK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,899 posts, read 1,515,181 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Atlanta and LA have some type of connection for blacks. A good number of blacks from one city want to move to the other city and vise versa. I dont know why its like that. Take me for example. Im a GA native and I always had the urge to visit LA. I visit there often. I dont know why I keep going back but I do. I didnt care to much for the cold water on the beach,traffic or the overall nightlife but I still go back again and again and have fun so IDK
hmmm I don't really find that to be true....most black people I've meet in LA don't really talk about Atlanta in a desirable light. I find that many act like it's low-key country and I've even had a lot of people tell me they don't want to move there because it seems " too ratchet". I actually have a huge soft spot for Atlanta and whenever I tell any of my black friends or cousins in LA that I wouldn't mind leaving LA and moving to Atlanta one day they sort of laugh at me/give me major stink face. This isn't to say that EVERY black person in LA has no desire to move to ATL, that would be absurd, but I don't really think that Atlanta is on a lot of peoples mind out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,691 posts, read 1,232,519 times
Reputation: 2058
I think it's important to remember that black people (just like any other group) are not monolithic in their tastes so what might be a "mecca" for one individual might be a terrible place to live for another black person.

That being said for northern cities Chicago and Philadelphia have very large black populations and pretty extensive African-American history as well cultural contributions.

Mother Bethel AME church was founded in 1787 in Philadelphia, the church rests upon the oldest parcel of land continuously owned by African-Americans.

Chicago has a rich history of black entrepreneurship where African-Americans who started with nothing built business empires and redefined black culture in the U.S. (Jack Johnson, Anthony Overton, Annie Malone the first black female millionaire, Madam CJ Walker etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,220 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I think it's important to remember that black people (just like any other group) are not monolithic in their tastes so what might be a "mecca" for one individual might be a terrible place to live for another black person.

That being said for northern cities Chicago and Philadelphia have very large black populations and pretty extensive African-American history as well cultural contributions.

Mother Bethel AME church was founded in 1787 in Philadelphia, the church rests upon the oldest parcel of land continuously owned by African-Americans.

Chicago has a rich history of black entrepreneurship where African-Americans who started with nothing built business empires and redefined black culture in the U.S. (Jack Johnson, Anthony Overton, Annie Malone the first black female millionaire, Madam CJ Walker etc.)
Jack Johnson the boxer? He's from Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,220 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8983
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
hmmm I don't really find that to be true....most black people I've meet in LA don't really talk about Atlanta in a desirable light. I find that many act like it's low-key country and I've even had a lot of people tell me they don't want to move there because it seems " too ratchet". I actually have a huge soft spot for Atlanta and whenever I tell any of my black friends or cousins in LA that I wouldn't mind leaving LA and moving to Atlanta one day they sort of laugh at me/give me major stink face. This isn't to say that EVERY black person in LA has no desire to move to ATL, that would be absurd, but I don't really think that Atlanta is on a lot of peoples mind out here.
Most Blacks from LA if they move South, head to Houston or Dallas. It's not surprising since many of LA's black population comes from Texas. There is a map that shows just that as a matter of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,899 posts, read 1,515,181 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Most Blacks from LA if they move South, head to Houston or Dallas. It's not surprising since many of LA's black population comes from Texas. There is a map that shows just that as a matter of fact.
Yup that's true, but a lot of blacks out in the west don't have a huge desire to move to Atlanta like the other poster stated. My dads family moved from Houston to Long Beach and Oakland and I have family members who have moved from the LA area back to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,291,154 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
hmmm I don't really find that to be true....most black people I've meet in LA don't really talk about Atlanta in a desirable light. I find that many act like it's low-key country and I've even had a lot of people tell me they don't want to move there because it seems " too ratchet". I actually have a huge soft spot for Atlanta and whenever I tell any of my black friends or cousins in LA that I wouldn't mind leaving LA and moving to Atlanta one day they sort of laugh at me/give me major stink face. This isn't to say that EVERY black person in LA has no desire to move to ATL, that would be absurd, but I don't really think that Atlanta is on a lot of peoples mind out here.
I can't speak for everyone but I know that the average black person that has lived in Atlanta their entire life and wants to move out the region to experience something different even if its only for a few years generally speaking will put LA on the list of cities to possible move to even though it might not make the cut because of the increase COL. The average person here doesn't want to move to the NE where it is more expensive with colder weather. We arent trying to move to the Midwest or TX so if one moves to the West Coast they will generally pick LA over San Fran, Vegas, Seattle or Phoenix. Generally speaking

The blacks that I know from LA that live in Atlanta now they mostly moved because of the crazy violence in LA back in the days even though its different now they still bring up the 90s violence, COL and the black females who aren't into interracial dating move to be around more black men. But everyone is different. I met this black guy from LA in Atlanta that was moving back to LA because he wasnt used to talking to black women. He had white girlfriends his entire life but he didn't feel comfortable around black women. I told him that there are white women in Atlanta lol. Everybody is different. LA isn't on everyone mind here. Most blacks here go to either Miami, New Orleans, Vegas or the Caribbean for fun but I like overall if someone from Atlanta wants a totally different experience outside of the south they might choose LA and a black person looking for a completely different experience than LA will more than likely consider ATL. Or maybe its just me and I'm all wrong


Also the thing is when people move from LA/etc strictly because of the cost of living they will either go to Dallas or Houston or Atlanta. They might choose Dallas/Houston over Atlanta because its closer to home but Cali is deep in Atlanta. They even have a CALI picnic here that has been going on annually for over 20 years.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Gk_mjAA9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afcUvs6ie_s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
hmmm I don't really find that to be true....most black people I've meet in LA don't really talk about Atlanta in a desirable light. I find that many act like it's low-key country and I've even had a lot of people tell me they don't want to move there because it seems " too ratchet". I actually have a huge soft spot for Atlanta and whenever I tell any of my black friends or cousins in LA that I wouldn't mind leaving LA and moving to Atlanta one day they sort of laugh at me/give me major stink face. This isn't to say that EVERY black person in LA has no desire to move to ATL, that would be absurd, but I don't really think that Atlanta is on a lot of peoples mind out here.
The entertainment industry today is what allows for a certain level "cross-pollination" between Atlanta and LA, particularly for Blacks in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Jack Johnson the boxer? He's from Galveston.
I think he meant John H. Johnson, founder of Johnson Publishing Company (Ebony, Jet, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM
 
2,178 posts, read 1,542,169 times
Reputation: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I think it's important to remember that black people (just like any other group) are not monolithic in their tastes so what might be a "mecca" for one individual might be a terrible place to live for another black person.

That being said for northern cities Chicago and Philadelphia have very large black populations and pretty extensive African-American history as well cultural contributions.

Mother Bethel AME church was founded in 1787 in Philadelphia, the church rests upon the oldest parcel of land continuously owned by African-Americans.

Chicago has a rich history of black entrepreneurship where African-Americans who started with nothing built business empires and redefined black culture in the U.S. (Jack Johnson, Anthony Overton, Annie Malone the first black female millionaire, Madam CJ Walker etc.)
Madame CJ Walker started her empire in Pittsburgh's Hill District before moving to Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top