U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM

872 posts, read 472,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
This post is accurate. It seems many of the black California's that moved to ATL have a desire to either stay here and conform 100% or like you said are "indifferent" and are dying to move back. I visited a friend in March who had moved to LA in December. I remember how he mentioned at first he didn't like how vast, noisy and crowded LA was and the huge culture shock with the larger hispanic population that lives there. When I came to visit, his attitude changed, and it seemed like LA made a positive influence on him. He had no desire to ever live in Atlanta again, and couldn't stop raving about LA in general, it was quite shocking what that city does to people. It's definitely called tinsletown for a reason.

Interesting. I didn't like Los Angeles enough to remain living there (I realized I prefer visiting there), but there is an energy, vibe, and attitude there that was pretty refreshing after living in ATL and other parts of the South for many years. When I made my decision to leave LA, ATL wasn't on my mind. I may return to ATL on down the road when I'm older though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,589,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I will not say Houston is seen as Louisiana's big city. I still think that honor belongs to New Orleans. Especially for Southern Louisiana and culturally, it's been THE city for hundreds of years.
Many people in New Orleans see Houston has the biggest city close by. My good friend from New Orleans has told me. He and our friend (also from the N.O.) agree. But hey, this is all opinionated.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:56 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,838,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Many people in New Orleans see Houston has the biggest city close by. My good friend from New Orleans has told me. He and our friend (also from the N.O.) agree. But hey, this is all opinionated.
I wouldn't think Houston would be automatically be seen as Louisiana's "big city" since the northern part of Louisiana is closer to Dallas. Seems as though the state is split in terms of the big city residents gravitate towards.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't think Houston would be automatically be seen as Louisiana's "big city" since the northern part of Louisiana is closer to Dallas. Seems as though the state is split in terms of the big city residents gravitate towards.
The bulk of Louisiana is in Houston's pull. Most of Louisiana lives between Lake Charles and New Orleans, pretty much the whole I-10 corridor. The article I just posted sorta backs my claim up.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,838,814 times
Quote:
The bulk of Louisiana is in Houston's pull. Most of Louisiana lives between Lake Charles and New Orleans, pretty much the whole I-10 corridor.
But there are enough people in north Louisiana so that it couldn't be said that Houston is THE big city of choice for all of Louisiana.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM

872 posts, read 472,506 times
Quote:
But there are enough people in north Louisiana so that it couldn't be said that Houston is THE big city of choice for all of Louisiana.
Right, Shreveport and Monroe see Dallas as their big city. People in the cities along the I-10 Corridor defer to Houston.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:06 PM

3,987 posts, read 1,948,612 times
Quote:
This is some great info in this thread.
+1. i'm surprised even though the op had such a narrow focus on what should be labeled as black culture, the info shared on these 200+ pages expanded my perception of how black people in each region contribute to u.s.a. culture.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM

Also, the evacuation of New Orleans and Louisiana people to Houston only strengthened the relationship between the two.

Great sources about Houston and Louisiana:
The Influence of Louisiana Transplants on Houston | Houston Matters
Katrina evacuees shift Houston's identity - CNN.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_people

Old 06-29-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. Many people in Louisiana don't even consider anything north of Alexandria to be the real Louisiana. LOL. This is the part of the state that Houston pulls from and is also the area of the state that has more of the state's black population and popular culture. This can be seen as true because many people from Dallas that I know haven't experienced crawfish or Zydeco fests until moving to Houston.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,947,876 times
Quote:
I understand that as Houston has more big city amenities and it is right down the street. But culturally, Louisiana still revolves around New Orleans. Southern Louisiana anyway. As far as the rest of the state, I will say that you are right that Houston has more pull on most of Louisiana but the I-20 corridor is probably favored towards Dallas. I've heard one time that Shreveport is Dallas easternmost suburb so tifwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or