U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 AM
 
508 posts, read 310,707 times
Reputation: 500

Advertisements

What does everybody think of places like Seattle,PHX, LV, or Denver for blacks? Never hear these places brought up really even if there are african Americans living there.

the only place where I would not move to as a black person is Idaho. Sounds weird right? We never consider places like boise right? You know why? because it's one of the bastions for white supremacy along with Eastern Washington. Just throwing that out there.

https://thebluereview.org/most-say-aryan-nations/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2016, 10:27 AM
 
9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Unbelievable arrogance. I don't even think New Yorkers act this arrogant.
How is cost of living and its effect on the type of people attracted to a region seen as arrogant? If you can't afford an area, it's not going to be attractive to that person. You can't have it both ways. You guys complain about the cost of living in DC, yet you're trying to discount the effect it has on the type of people an area attracts. People who can't afford DC won't be attracted to it. People that want a cheap alternative will move to areas that are cheaper. An area's cost of living is based on supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,248 posts, read 25,954,697 times
Reputation: 9013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How is cost of living and its effect on the type of people attracted to a region seen as arrogant? If you can't afford an area, it's not going to be attractive to that person. You can't have it both ways. You guys complain about the cost of living in DC, yet you're trying to discount the effect it has on the type of people an area attracts. People who can't afford DC won't be attracted to it. People that want a cheap alternative will move to areas that are cheaper. An area's cost of living is based on supply and demand.
This is your quote.

Quote:
Now we are definelty on the same page. Atlanta is definelty more attractive to the less educated black population in comparison to DC. DC is for very educated black people which is also the case for other races too. That's why we're the most educated metro area in the entire nation. This is not really a place for those people who don't have a college degree and more so masters degree these days. Maybe a distinction should be made for a Black Mecca for certain socioeconomic and educational classes. DC is clearly the place to be for the upper crust of black society.
You don't see this as arrogance? Especially the last quote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 AM
 
27,788 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Reputation: 16518
Newsflash: there are lots of people who do relatively well for themselves in cities with a higher COL that still seek out and move to cities with a lower COL, and for various reasons. This mischaracterization of people moving to less expensive cities as uneducated losers needs to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 AM
 
9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is your quote.



You don't see this as arrogance? Especially the last quote?
It is definelty arrogant without the context of what I meant. I should have elaborated that I was saying that in relationship to the discussion of cost of living. The whole exchange leading up to that post was examining the cost of living in DC and the poster claimed that the cost of living was pricing black people out of the DC area. There is truth to that though and the black people who are attracted to DC are typically those that are highly educated and move here for career reasons while also being able to afford to live here.

I don't have stats for this, however, I would think people who happen to be lower income in the DC area are actually from here and have chosen to stay here even though it's expensive to live here. Atlanta, on the other hand, attracts people from all walks of life who don't really have to have an education or be highly accomplished. People looking to get into the film industry, or entertainment, or music can move to Atlanta and live because it's cheaper to live there. That's really what I meant by that post. Both metro areas have very accomplished African Americans, but Atlanta attracts a more diverse African American populace from an educational and socioeconomic standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 PM
 
9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Newsflash: there are lots of people who do relatively well for themselves in cities with a higher COL that still seek out and move to cities with a lower COL, and for various reasons. This mischaracterization of people moving to less expensive cities as uneducated losers needs to stop.
Read my post above. I wasn't saying that's all that Atlanta attracts. I was saying that Atlanta attracts a more diverse class of African Americans who may not be educated or may be at a lower socioeconomic status because they can afford to live there. As someone mentioned before, DC is very competitive and expensive so we attract the highest level of the black professional class because they're the only ones who can afford to live here. If you don't have an education or strong resume, most people don't consider DC because of the competition and cost of living. This also means that the population that does live here will only get even more educated and wealthy overtime. Do you agree or disagree with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,634 posts, read 24,856,537 times
Reputation: 11195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It is definelty arrogant without the context of what I meant.
I know what you mean. I know someone else whose statements are always being taken out of context.

"They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Hard to understand what this means without the proper context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:08 PM
 
9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know what you mean. I know someone else whose statements are always being taken out of context.

"They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Hard to understand what this means without the proper context.
So, what do you think about the type of black people DC attracts? What are the demographics? Would you say lower income people from other cities try to move to DC? How about Atlanta? I know a ton of people who have moved to Atlanta from NYC and DC that couldn't afford to live here and didn't have the education to move up the career ladder here so they moved south because of the cost of living.

On a side note, I build affordable housing and I know you don't rent your house to lower income residents so I'm probably the only one in this whole thread that is helping the problem. If you care so much about low income housing and affordability, how about you provide some in Ledriot Park where your house is?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-31-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,248 posts, read 25,954,697 times
Reputation: 9013
Oh boy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:37 PM
 
9,592 posts, read 10,938,206 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh boy
And you keep making side comments like this for what reason? What are you doing to provide opportunity for lower income communities? You guys can call me arrogant all you want, but what I said is a fact period. That's why it's so important to build affordable housing and fight for improvements to the inclusionary zoning requirements in our cities.

DC just lowered their threshold from 80% AMI down to 60% AMI. What is NYC, Atlanta, Houston, or any of the other cities doing in comparison? This is a thread on a website. Get into the real world and make a difference if you care so much.

By the way, Houston and Atlanta are getting more expensive by the day and black people are currently being priced out of those cities also to the far flung suburbs. This is not just a DC problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top