U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What are the educational census stats for African Americans between the two cities? That would say more about the discussion. Would you say cost of living is one of the main reasons people choose to move to Atlanta? What would you say are the main reasons people choose to move to DC?
COL is one of the main reasons anyone moves anywhere. But I do not necessarily think it has to do with education levels with all. I know my neighbor moved to Charlotte because he said the COL in DC isn't worth it and he's a UVA grad. Also, it isn't like inner cities are cheap even in the sunbelt. As you said before, inner Houston and Atlanta are becoming very expensive with apartments starting in the 2,000 dollar range and newer homes starting around 500,000 dollars. Jobs are still the main reason why most choose to move to a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 PM
 
27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Reputation: 16460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Read my post above. I wasn't saying that's all that Atlanta attracts. I was saying that Atlanta attracts a more diverse class of African Americans who may not be educated or may be at a lower socioeconomic status because they can afford to live there. As someone mentioned before, DC is very competitive and expensive so we attract the highest level of the black professional class because they're the only ones who can afford to live here. If you don't have an education or strong resume, most people don't consider DC because of the competition and cost of living. This also means that the population that does live here will only get even more educated and wealthy overtime. Do you agree or disagree with that?
To me, that's one of the downsides of DC. In terms of COL, it's in the same orbit as NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, yet it's not nearly as much of a "lifestyle city" generally speaking. DC is all about work, work, work in comparison and not nearly as many people move to DC primarily because they want to be there. I know when it comes to Black folks in particular, not many of us have that luxury of having jobs/careers as a second or third priority but it's still an interesting point to make. Atlanta (and other Southern cities like Houston, Dallas, etc.), in comparison, isn't nearly as buttoned up and appeals to a more diverse set of Black folks so if that's truly the point you're getting at, then I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no black mecca at least today. Atlanta and DC, both, have areas of concentrated poverty. Black wealth doesn't cluster. High income blacks are less likely to live around fellow blacks.

Here's a video of a Youtuber dispelling the myth of Atlanta being a black mecca.
https://youtu.be/r-kVYCJAEM8
He's lived there 20 years. I mean, of course he's gonna run out of things to do. That was nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM
 
9,585 posts, read 10,919,739 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
COL is one of the main reasons anyone moves anywhere. But I do not necessarily think it has to do with education levels with all. I know my neighbor moved to Charlotte because he said the COL in DC isn't worth it and he's a UVA grad. Also, it isn't like inner cities are cheap even in the sunbelt. As you said before, inner Houston and Atlanta are becoming very expensive with apartments starting in the 2,000 dollar range and newer homes starting around 500,000 dollars. Jobs are still the main reason why most choose to move to a city.
Are young professional African Americans buying homes and gentrifying the inner cities of Houston or Atlanta like they are in DC? I never hear people talking about that at least from people I know. They always complain about how expensive it is and buy out in the suburbs. That has always seemed to be the biggest difference between African Americans that choose to live in an expensive smaller house per square foot in the city up north versus getting a big cheaper house per square foot in the suburbs down south.

Many African Americans that leave the cities up north don't see the value in urban neighborhoods and being able to walk to amenities and take the train so they choose to live out in the suburbs. Since they have migrated south for a cheaper cost of living, I would gather the last thing they want to do is move into the city and pay more for less. Do you know what the trends are in Atlanta or Houston inner city housing markets for African Americans?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-01-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 PM
 
9,585 posts, read 10,919,739 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To me, that's one of the downsides of DC. In terms of COL, it's in the same orbit as NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, yet it's not nearly as much of a "lifestyle city" generally speaking. DC is all about work, work, work in comparison and not nearly as many people move to DC primarily because they want to be there. I know when it comes to Black folks in particular, not many of us have that luxury of having jobs/careers as a second or third priority but it's still an interesting point to make. Atlanta (and other Southern cities like Houston, Dallas, etc.), in comparison, isn't nearly as buttoned up and appeals to a more diverse set of Black folks so if that's truly the point you're getting at, then I agree.
It's pretty well known that DC is all about making money and climbing the career ladder. The black population is very educated, wealthy, and motivated. It's almost an anomaly in the black community nationally which, unfortunately, is very different from most other regions in the black community. It really upsets me when I visit other cities and see the state of the African American community around the nation.

There is still poverty in DC, however, we just raised minimum wage to $15 an hour which will go along way to helping even service workers be able to live comfortably in all of our 60%-30% of Area Median Income (AMI) Affordable Dwelling Unit (ADU) or Low Income Housing Tax Credit Units (LIHTC). HUD is changing their section 8 rules which will springboard redevelopment across most of our cities. They are going to calculate Fair Market Rate (FMR) rent numbers by zip code which has sent ripples through our low income communities across the nation. No longer will landlords be able to get hundreds of dollars over market rent because the government has been using one rate for the entire metro area. Now, they will only get what the market rate is for that zip code. Section 8 tenants will be able to move to higher income areas because the money that used to go to the slum lords in low income areas will go to help afford high rents in nice areas. It is huge for our cities.

Example:

Old:

Low Income Area X Section 8 Apartment Rent: $1,300

Low Income Area X Market Rate Apartment Rent: $900

High Income Area Z Section 8 Apartment Rent: Not Eligible, over limit for section 8

High Income Area Z Market Rate Apartment Rent: $1,700

New: ($400 that used to go to slum lord will pay for High Income Area Z rent)

Low Income Area X Section 8 Apartment Rent: $900

Low Income Area X Market Rate Apartment Rent: $900

High Income Area Z Section 8 Apartment Rent: $1,700

High Income Area Z Market Rate Apartment Rent: $1,700

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-01-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 04:24 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are young professional African Americans buying homes and gentrifying the inner cities of Houston or Atlanta like they are in DC? I never hear people talking about that at least from people I know. They always complain about how expensive it is and buy out in the suburbs. That has always seemed to be the biggest difference between African Americans that choose to live in an expensive smaller house per square foot in the city up north versus getting a big cheaper house per square foot in the suburbs down south.

Many African Americans that leave the cities up north don't see the value in urban neighborhoods and being able to walk to amenities and take the train so they choose to live out in the suburbs. Since they have migrated south for a cheaper cost of living, I would gather the last thing they want to do is move into the city and pay more for less. Do you know what the trends are in Atlanta or Houston inner city housing markets for African Americans?
They are in Houston. I know plenty of black gentrifiers. Half of my circle lives in houses, townhomes, or new apartments inside the loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 PM
 
9,585 posts, read 10,919,739 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
They are in Houston. I know plenty of black gentrifiers. Half of my circle lives in houses, townhomes, or new apartments inside the loop.
Nice! I'm not that familiar with Houston, what is the demographics of those neighborhoods inside the loop? Mainly black? Also, what are the housing prices like in those neighborhoods compared to other parts within the loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:15 PM
 
Location: LA, California
93 posts, read 60,110 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Yeah. Mostly in the entertainment industry. Making movies. Some professionals but as the earlier lists showed, proportionally very small.

LA is no place for us. I'm not leaving but that's the truth.
LA is great for blacks, or anyone for that matter, everyone can get behind living in California if u don't like it doesn't mean u should discourage others, LA black population is large and growing, Census Estimates Show Black Pop in LA County Rising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,969 posts, read 1,938,119 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

DC just lowered their threshold from 80% AMI down to 60% AMI. What is NYC, Atlanta, Houston, or any of the other cities doing in comparison? This is a thread on a website. Get into the real world and make a difference if you care so much.

...
i read in the boston globe that now 15 % of new condos in somerville have to be section-8. many developers dont wanna' build fearing they wont profit quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Nice! I'm not that familiar with Houston, what is the demographics of those neighborhoods inside the loop? Mainly black? Also, what are the housing prices like in those neighborhoods compared to other parts within the loop?
Of course, whites are moving there in droves. There a lot of blacks inside the loop, but the bulk of them live in historic black hoods. Apartments start at $1300 and homes/townhomes start at $250,000. There are areas inside the loop that are cheaper due to their stage in gentrification.

Prices outside the loop start at $800 in places like Cypress, Spring, Texas City and $150,000 in such places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top