Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 03:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Thank you!!! I Couldn't have said it better myself. LOL @ asking for "sources" and statistics for personal observations that can only come from LIVING in a place and interacting with the locals on a daily basis. Also, he's down there in Houston and trying to tell me how the black community here in Dallas and is, and trying to tell me I need to get out of Dallas. I've already made it clear my family and I love DFW. We're not going anywhere. I was just speaking on behalf of the topic of the thread and how it relates to DFW.
Can't say I'm sure what either of you are actually trying to say, but I no longer respond to insults so I won't bother with most of it.

You brought up these "countless" transplants in order to discredit me suggesting that your issues might be personal. I was simply saying you can't discredit that without proof. I have no reason to believe you, otherwise, since the transplants I know in DFW don't seem to share your sentiments.

I never said you were absolutely wrong, but I simply questioned where you were coming from. I never have any problems in Dallas that I didn't have in Atlanta or any other city for that matter. Maybe they just don't like you.

Also, when did I move to Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
On second thought, many people (not me) seem to think Dallasites can be pretty rude. Maybe that's the problem you're having.

Rudest Cities

Old 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
It's DC, dude. It was Chocolate City and full of progressive blacks with educations, great jobs, and high incomes even before Atlanta become the "Black Mecca."
Don't underestimate Atlanta when it comes to any of this. There is a substantial and proud history here.

Alonzo Herndon (1858-1927) | New Georgia Encyclopedia

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/atlanta/aub.htm

Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
It seems that in Texas that Houston has had and still has a much stronger educated and affluent black middle class than Dallas or Fort Worth ever did and that still affects perception of which metro area in the state is the 'better' choice for black transplants to this day.
Yes! This is so true.

Houston has a better reputation than DFW for blacks; the blacks from DFW that move here seem to like Houston much better because of this reason.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Wow, that sounds sad that the native blacks are like that. I am considering a move to DFW or Houston in the future, but I've had reservations about Dallas for a reason, and you describe one of them to a T.
It's part of the reason why my Mom prefers Houston to Dallas as well. She has seen this regarding Dallas herself and says that Houston's black population is far more welcoming and far more inclusive than Dallas. She says they are slow and reserved. I mean she flat out dislikes Dallas. Also growing up in Killeen-Ft Hood area, you had people that were not from Texas. I got the same sentiments from the vast majority of young Black GI's and who visited the bigger cities of Texas. They tolerated Dallas but liked Houston way better.

I don't want to diss the native Black population of Dallas or Dallas as a city at all. It's a great place to raise a family with a diverse economy thus why DFW has a slightly faster growing black population since 1990. But there is a reason why Houston is more popular socially than Dallas and DFW as a whole.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 PM

163 posts, read 156,124 times
Perspective from a native Dallas black professional. I usually agree with most of what Mentallect has to say, but not this time. There is a very large native black professional class in Dallas and it has always been that way. During the 70's and 80's large sections of South Oakcliff and Redbird areas were predominately middle class professional blacks. I graduated from a DISD school during the eighties and many of my classmates wanted for nothing. Most had late model cars and the latest designer clothing and our parents were professionals or small business owners. Many of my classmates went on to college and returned to Dallas. I think part of the problem with the transplant professionals connecting with the native professionals is geographical. Most of the native black professionals remain on the south side of Dallas and in communities such as Desoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill and GP; while most of the transplants settle in the northern suburbs. I do not know any Dallas native (hood or professional) that has not explored different parts of DFW (I did that as a teenager).

Old 08-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's part of the reason why my Mom prefers Houston to Dallas as well. She has seen this regarding Dallas herself and says that Houston's black population is far more welcoming and far more inclusive than Dallas. She says they are slow and reserved. I mean she flat out dislikes Dallas. Also growing up in Killeen-Ft Hood area, you had people that were not from Texas. I got the same sentiments from the vast majority of young Black GI's and who visited the bigger cities of Texas. They tolerated Dallas but liked Houston way better.

I don't want to diss the native Black population of Dallas or Dallas as a city at all. It's a great place to raise a family with a diverse economy thus why DFW has a slightly faster growing black population since 1990. But there is a reason why Houston is more popular socially than Dallas and DFW as a whole.
I've heard this so many times.

Houston has taken the lead in black growth since 2014. Red John posted the values somewhere in this thread. I guess they go back and forth.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I've heard this so many times.

Houston has taken the lead in black growth since 2014. Red John posted the values somewhere in this thread. I guess they go back and forth.
No Houston took the lead for growth THIS decade. Meaning from 2010-2015. But since 1990, DFW still has attracted more blacks than Houston. DFW's black population grew faster in the 90s, the 00s, and is toe to toe again in the 10's. With Houston's slow growing economy, DFW will probably start growing faster again this decade.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No Houston took the lead for growth THIS decade. Meaning from 2010-2015. But since 1990, DFW still has attracted more blacks than Houston. DFW's black population grew faster in the 90s, the 00s, and is toe to toe again in the 10's. With Houston's slow growing economy, DFW will probably start growing faster again this decade.
Look at this:

CenterPoint's customer growth shows Houston's 'resilience'

Houston is still growing by leaps and bounds. I still think Houston will continue to hold onto the lead; it's really becoming popular now in Black America. Sometimes, I think Houston's black population is not counted all the way; Houston feels way more than 18%.

Also, will you post the figures for 2010-2015, if you can? I would love to see those figures.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Look at this:

CenterPoint's customer growth shows Houston's 'resilience'

Houston is still growing by leaps and bounds. I still think Houston will continue to hold onto the lead; it's really becoming popular now in Black America. Sometimes, I think Houston's black population is not counted all the way; Houston feels way more than 18%.

Also, will you post the figures for 2010-2015, if you can? I would love to see those figures.
I have to find it but I've seen that link. People go where the jobs are. If Houston continues to struggle in job growth in the coming years, no Houston will not hold onto the lead. Being popular only doesn't put food on the table.

Found this link. According to this article, DFW black population is growing a little faster.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...501-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City