U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,872,706 times
Reputation: 7537

Advertisements

Can we chat about self-segregation for minute? Not historical segregation, but intentional self-segregation by transplants.


I'm definitely not comfortable living somewhere without a sizable black population. I don't feel compelled to live in a black neighborhood, but I need easy access to black people, if that makes sense. My first year in Chicago, I live in Hyde Park, and while I loved the neighborhood, it's felt disconnected from the rest of the city by virtue of not being served by the El/Subway. It was on the light rail line, but that's not the same. It's more expensive, and you can't transfer it directly onto the subway.

When my lease was up, I moved to the north side, and felt of the city completely opened up to me. I completely fell in love with Chicago, and didn't miss New York at all. My social circle was pretty diverse, but happened to include a lot of black professional transplants, most of whom elected to live on the South Side. With only one exception, all of the black transplants who stayed on the southside left Chicago. Of those who settled on the northside, I'm the only one in my circle who left the city (for a career opportunity my wife couldn't refuse, not because we wanted to leave).

Those who left cited weather, high crime, bad schools and lack of conveniences as their reason for leaving Chicago, yet all of them could've afforded to live in neighborhoods that provided them conveniences, safety and good schools. None actually became a part of the communities they chose to live in.

And do you guys seek out black neighborhoods, if so, do you find yourself becoming part of the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,972 posts, read 1,940,197 times
Reputation: 2440
^ i have aunts and uncles who only speak french-creole so living in dorchester/mattapan was convenient. that being said i am sure they were put their because of red-lining because i dont think even haitian immigrants would want to live in any inner-city during the cocaine epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM
 
27,750 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Reputation: 16469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Can we chat about self-segregation for minute? Not historical segregation, but intentional self-segregation by transplants.


I'm definitely not comfortable living somewhere without a sizable black population. I don't feel compelled to live in a black neighborhood, but I need easy access to black people, if that makes sense. My first year in Chicago, I live in Hyde Park, and while I loved the neighborhood, it's felt disconnected from the rest of the city by virtue of not being served by the El/Subway. It was on the light rail line, but that's not the same. It's more expensive, and you can't transfer it directly onto the subway.

When my lease was up, I moved to the north side, and felt of the city completely opened up to me. I completely fell in love with Chicago, and didn't miss New York at all. My social circle was pretty diverse, but happened to include a lot of black professional transplants, most of whom elected to live on the South Side. With only one exception, all of the black transplants who stayed on the southside left Chicago. Of those who settled on the northside, I'm the only one in my circle who left the city (for a career opportunity my wife couldn't refuse, not because we wanted to leave).

Those who left cited weather, high crime, bad schools and lack of conveniences as their reason for leaving Chicago, yet all of them could've afforded to live in neighborhoods that provided them conveniences, safety and good schools. None actually became a part of the communities they chose to live in.

And do you guys seek out black neighborhoods, if so, do you find yourself becoming part of the community?
My personal preference is to live in areas with at least some visible Black presence while having a somewhat decent commute to work. The 'least Black' place I've lived is Canton, GA which is less than 10% Black but is still located in metro Atlanta, so I didn't have to travel far to be around more Black people and the town itself had a Black barber, Black churches, etc. so there was a visible Black presence. I lived there because my job at the time was about 45 minutes away in a town in the north Georgia mountains which is only about 1.5% Black; that simply wasn't an option for me whatsoever. Here in the DC area, I live in Silver Spring which is pretty diverse, even within the Black community itself (large Ethiopian population), and I'm only 15 minutes from work. So basically I'm of your mindset: I don't have to live in a Black neighborhood per se, but I need easy access to Black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
There are only so many places you can live if you want all of those urban amenities (transit, 90+ walkscore, restaurants, etc.) in a majority Black neighborhood. Almost all of them are in NYC with maybe one or two in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 AM
 
27,750 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Reputation: 16469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are only so many places you can live if you want all of those urban amenities (transit, 90+ walkscore, restaurants, etc.) in a majority Black neighborhood. Almost all of them are in NYC with maybe one or two in DC.
If you relax those standards just a bit to a walkscore of around 65-70 or so and a neighborhood that's at least 25% Black, more options open up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Here is the Black educated Black population in a few select zip codes in central cores. The first number in parentheses is the Black educational attainment rate and the second number is the square mileage of the zip code.

11216 - 7,593 (27.1%)(0.94 sq. mi.)
11233 - 6,740 (18.1%)(1.35 sq. mi.)
11238 - 5,061 (31.1%)(1.11 sq. mi.)
20002 - 4,755 (21.3%)(5.26 sq. mi.)
10027 - 4,751 (27.7%)(0.87 sq. mi.)
60653 - 4,637 (25.8%)(2.33 sq. mi.)
10026 - 4,116 (27.3%)(0.33 sq. mi.)
10031 - 3,684 (25.5%)(0.87 sq. mi.)
20001 - 3,565 (29.8%)(2.18 sq. mi.)
10030 - 2,947 (20.8%)(0.87 sq. mi.)
20009 - 2,560 (35.8%)(1.32 sq. mi.)
11205 - 2,347 (25.5%)(0.95 sq. mi.)
30314 - 1,967 (19.0%)(4.67 sq. mi.)
11217 - 1,904 (34.0%)(0.75 sq. mi.)
94606 - 1,366 (25.5%)(2.29 sq. mi.)

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-25-2016 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you relax those standards just a bit to a walkscore of around 65-70 or so and a neighborhood that's at least 25% Black, more options open up to you.
I'm sure, but a walkscore of 65 to 70 simply isn't that good of a neighborhood. At least from an urbanity/walkability perspective. Shepherd Park in DC is a wonderful neighborhood in terms of safety and educational attainment, but few people without kids and under the age of 40 are going to find a SFH-dominated neighborhood with few bars and restaurants that appealing. When it comes to the urban amenities and walkability so cherished by C-D posters, there are few Blacks actually enjoying that type of lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 10:30 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,872,706 times
Reputation: 7537
My current neighborhood is only about 5% Black, but it's over 30% minority. I have a walk score of 94, and I'm three blocks away from a predominantly black neighborhood. It's a good fit for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
My current neighborhood is only about 5% Black, but it's over 30% minority. I have a walk score of 94, and I'm three blocks away from a predominantly black neighborhood. It's a good fit for me.
I think Living Single and Brown Sugar made me want to live in Brooklyn. I think it was Brown Sugar that did it for me.

I wanted to live in Chicago after a while after I saw Love Jones. But a friend from Chicago told me "The Sanctuary" didn't actually exist. I was depressed for about 3 months after learning that.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttBHlnnMxE

That's the way it was supposed to be. Engaged in deep conservation with Afro-centric friends over the smooth rhythms of D'Angelo. But it was not to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 AM
 
7,177 posts, read 3,872,706 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Living Single and Brown Sugar made me want to live in Brooklyn. I think it was Brown Sugar that did it for me.

I wanted to live in Chicago after a while after I saw Love Jones. But a friend from Chicago told me "The Sanctuary" didn't actually exist. I was depressed for about 3 months after learning that.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttBHlnnMxE

That's the way it was supposed to be. Engaged in deep conservation with Afro-centric friends over the smooth rhythms of D'Angelo. But it was not to be...
Fort Greene was really like that from roughly 1998-2003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top