U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,378 posts, read 2,484,152 times
Reputation: 1477

Advertisements

What would be keeping philly as a black mecca?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 AM
 
27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of a concentration of predominately Black, middle class neighborhoods. Keep in mind that the info on the wiki entry is from 2000. If you look at the 2010 info, 3 of the 4 cities in that area are predominately Black and Duncanville, which was about 30% Black(ok 29.8%) in 2010, still had a predominately Black census tract or two that is adjacent to DeSoto(68.6% Black in 2010). In 2010, Lancaster was 68.8% Black and Cedar Hill was 51.9% Black. When adding them all together, in an area of roughly 169,000, there were roughly 93,000 Black residents in 2010.

Also, DeSoto, Cedar Hill and Lancaster had/have Black median household incomes above the state and national figure. Duncanville's Black median household income is around the state figure and a little bit under the national figure.
Thanks for that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM
 
27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
What would be keeping philly as a black mecca?
It has the history and culture for sure; it's tough to beat in those categories. I consider it a legacy Black mecca, but to be considered one today along the same lines as DC and Atlanta, I'd say it would need higher levels of Black in-migration, higher Black educational attainment levels, and higher Black income levels.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:26 AM
 
12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
You try too hard to place Houston on a platform where it doesn't belong. As far as "Black Meccas" (I prefer Spade's term "Black Magnets"), Dallas is more of a peer to Houston than either DC or Atlanta. Especially, considering the data BajanYankee has posted. I worked in Dallas over the past two years and came back somewhat impressed. They have the Dallas Black Dance Theatre, 2 small HBCUs, several black football classics, some upscale predominatley black neighborhoods in Duncanville & Cedar Hill and many other amenities. I believe DFW also ranked second in the nation for black population growth from 2000-10.

But, like Houston, Dallas lacks the depth of black leadership and history that DC, NYC and Atlanta have achieved.
I don't try hard at all. Houston is up there. A lot of y'all are so threatened by Houston; it's sad. Mutiny and I had a loooooong discussion about Houston and Atlanta, so don't go there with me. Although Houston and Dallas have similar AA populations, they are NOT peers; Houston is more black friendly than Dallas; the black Dallas people know this. I have a classmate who lives in DFW. He says he cannot find many black people; he is coming to Houston next month because he has heard that Houston is blacker than Dallas. I, also, know this other black girl who lives in Dallas and says that Houston has a ****load of black; she says it's too black.

It's people like you that need to be reminded that Houston can hold a candle to Atlanta and DC. I've lived in Atlanta for over 3 years, and I now live in Houston; they are very similar, and moving Houston didn't expose any type of lacking in the black department. When I went to Atlanta this past weekend, blacks there were speaking highly of Houston.

Also, Houston doesn't lack any history like Dallas does. Research Houston's black history. Please don't be ignorant.

Trust me, I know black Houston.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 AM
 
12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
Reputation: 3350
Again, I took Bajan's criteria with a gain of salt. I would place Houston in 1b. Houston played an important part in black history. Some of y'all who are not giving Houston the benefit of the doubt probably have not gone to Houston.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Again, I took Bajan's criteria with a gain of salt. I would place Houston in 1b. Houston played an important part in black history. Some of y'all who are not giving Houston the benefit of the doubt probably have not gone to Houston.
Since we're ignoring all of the facts, I'll place the Bay Area in Tier 1 and Houston in Tier 3. Blacks in the Bay Area are more affluent and better educated than Blacks in Houston (that is actually a fact even though I said I was ignoring facts).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,504 posts, read 2,727,471 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Since we're ignoring all of the facts, I'll place the Bay Area in Tier 1 and Houston in Tier 3. Blacks in the Bay Area are more affluent and better educated than Blacks in Houston (that is actually a fact even though I said I was ignoring facts).
Which is more important is really the crux of including other cities not named Atlanta and DC--high income/educational attainment, or high AA population/cultural significance? It seems all the other contenders not named Atlanta or D.C. do well in one area, but lag in the other...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM
 
52,613 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Thanks for that.
No problem....I will say about the Detroit area, the Southfield/Lathrup Village area has about 75,000 people. Southfield was 70.3% Black with about 71,000 and a Black median household income over the state figure and just under the national figure(same overall) in 2010(2008-2012 for income). Lathrup Village had only about 4000 people, but was 61.2% Black in 2010 and has an overall and Black median household income above the state and national figure. You do have tracts/areas in other cities(Detroit and Oak Park) next to/nearby that are predominately Black and middle class as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post

Trust me, I know black Houston.
But you're showing you don't know black DFW. I know personally you will hear it both ways. Many Black Houstonians like Dallas more because it's more family friendly. There is nothing like a DeSoto or a Cedar Hill in the Houston area. I think the closest is Missouri City. Houston is more socially Black than DFW but it doesn't dominate DFW either. DFW has been the second fastest Black area in America since 1990. In fact, out of the two Texas metros, more Black people have chosen DFW than they have chosen Houston the last 25 years.

Let's go by the criteria even though much of it is arbitrary and useless but just to keep within the spirit of the thread.


Nightlife: Houston wins over DFW here.
Middle Class/Upper Middle Class neighborhoods: Tie: DFW has better black suburbs. Houston has better inner city neighborhoods.

Radio stations: DFW. Houston just recently got its 2nd hip hop station so it puts the total number of stations to three. DFW has had two for 15 years going now. Not to mention, they have two R&B stations one being old school and other from the 90s to today.

Black Events: Houston probably wins this one.

HBCU: Houston. Nothing like a Prairie View or Texas Southern in DFW

History: Houston

Trends: Houston

Black businesses: Tie

Mayor: Tie and this is one of the big ones that separate Houston from Atlanta and DC. Houston and DFW has had one black mayor the last 30 years. DC and Atlanta has had several black mayors the last 30 years.

Houston is definitely in the same tier as DFW which are in the same tier as Chicago and Philadelphia. What's wrong with this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
 
52,613 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't try hard at all. Houston is up there. A lot of y'all are so threatened by Houston; it's sad. Mutiny and I had a loooooong discussion about Houston and Atlanta, so don't go there with me. Although Houston and Dallas have similar AA populations, they are NOT peers; Houston is more black friendly than Dallas; the black Dallas people know this. I have a classmate who lives in DFW. He says he cannot find many black people; he is coming to Houston next month because he has heard that Houston is blacker than Dallas. I, also, know this other black girl who lives in Dallas and says that Houston has a ****load of black; she says it's too black.

It's people like you that need to be reminded that Houston can hold a candle to Atlanta and DC. I've lived in Atlanta for over 3 years, and I now live in Houston; they are very similar, and moving Houston didn't expose any type of lacking in the black department. When I went to Atlanta this past weekend, blacks there were speaking highly of Houston.

Also, Houston doesn't lack any history like Dallas does. Research Houston's black history. Please don't be ignorant.

Trust me, I know black Houston.
What part of Houston would you consider to be similar to the Best Southwest area of Dallas or would you say that such areas are more spread out in the Houston area?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top