U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,295,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Grow up.
I am grown. With great credit and I got a few muscles on my chest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,355,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I am grown. With great credit and I got a few muscles on my chest
Why do think Houston is whack?

Old 07-09-2017, 01:27 AM

18,242 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
He's never been. He only "heard"it was wack.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,818,747 times
Quote:
He's never been. He only "heard"it was wack.
By some other hater that has never been. Call Houston ugly, sure, but no one who's been there will take you seriously for calling it wack.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Depends on where you have lived prior. If you lived in maybe Seattle, Phoenix, Memphis, etc it is probably a step up but you are from Atlanta, NYC or LA is wack. If I had to live in TX I don't know if I would choose Dallas or Houston I would probably choose Houston but I would have to research it more to see what's the best. It depends on the person though. Some people might not like to be out on the scene all the time so those cities might be ok. But if you like to be out and about constantly there are no better cities to choose from than Harlem/Brooklyn in NYC and Atlanta. I would put DC on there but I would have to go back and visit again but for black professionals the scene in DC has fell off a little. Back when I was there or near DC from 2002-2009 its was popping with Dream/Love, VIP Club, Ozios, 1223 on Wednesday, Pearl, Fur, Ibiza, Sequoya, etc. Now people just go to The Park and a couple of other spots. The scene has just changed so much since then. Heck I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this weekend because like just about every weekend is so much to do.

Take this weekend for example...Friday. I got like multiple events that I want to go to at the same time. Castleberry Hill Arts Stroll is at 7pm, Fernbank Museum After Dark is at the same time, also this once a quarter black professional networking event is also at the same time at 7pm. Then at night I want to go to this Kanye vs Kanye Party at Sound Table.

Saturday.....I was invited to a boat party at Lake Lanier at 2pm, I was planning on going to Slide the City at the same time in Downtown where they put a big slide Downtown and you slide down like a kid at 2pm. Also at the same time is the Atlanta Field Day which is basically like a field day for Adults at noon. Then at the same time our radio station is having a huge car and bike show and they are expecting like 50k people for that. Then that night all the artist are having after parties all over the city. Its still a couple of other events that I want to go to on both of those days but I can't be everywhere. For me I love cities where there is lots of shyt going on all the time. With Atlanta, the thing is the average person doesn't even know all the stuff that goes on here because you have to know where to look to find it and its so many different categories for blacks here. You have to ratchet events, the professional events, the old school crowd events, house music crowd events, 21-25 events, 30+ events, the black hippie crowd events, the super boogie events, the thot and dope boy events lol, etc, etc. The average person just stays within their particular crowd and they don't know what else is going on in the city unless its advertised on the radio. Now we got like 8 hip hop/etc radio stations so now even those events are hard to find because every radio station doesn't advertise the same event so if you only listen to 2 stations you will not know what else is going on unless you seek it out.

The good events in Atlanta isn't in your face, you have to find it so if you don't know where to go to find out what is going on in Atlanta you might think Atlanta is wack because once you meet people and they really show you how to find out whats goin on in Atlanta like with being on the right email listings, having the right people saved on FB, Meetup.com, Eventbrite, etc, etc the things to do here is crazy. That's why I said what I said. Those cities are cool but as a black professional you aren't going to have multiple events that you can go to just about every weekend to choose from. Thats how I judge a city. I figure I only have one life to live so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

Take this past weekend for example. I went up to NYC. Plenty of good black events going on. Grits and Biscuits at Coney Island, reggae concert at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, etc, etc. How many homegrown events are there? That's how I judge if a city is wack or not. People hate on the A all the time but if you want to live in a large city (I consider NYC a mega city) with black professionals everywhere, always something to do, decent COL, great concerts and festivals, a 2 hour flight to 80% of the US population Atlanta can't be beat. Not saying the city is perfect because we can improve in plenty of areas but we differently have more pros than cons

Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Depends on where you have lived prior. If you lived in maybe Seattle, Phoenix, Memphis, etc it is probably a step up but you are from Atlanta, NYC or LA is wack. If I had to live in TX I don't know if I would choose Dallas or Houston I would probably choose Houston but I would have to research it more to see what's the best.

That's why I said what I said. Those cities are cool but as a black professional you aren't going to have multiple events that you can go to just about every weekend to choose from. Thats how I judge a city. I figure I only have one life to live so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
Clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about. You can do the exact same things in Houston, Dallas, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and Chicago as you can in Atlanta, NYC, and LA. You can visit the same sites, utilized the same social sites, and see the same crowds that you will see in the other three cities.

Last edited by Spade; 07-13-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about. You can do the exact same things in Houston, Dallas, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and Chicago as you can in Atlanta, NYC, and LA. You can visit the same sites, utilized the same social sites, and see the same crowds that you will see in the other three cities.
I'm talking about quality and amount of options one has available.

For example there are clubs in Vegas, Salt Lake City and in Buffalo NY so in your opinion it's all the same because you can go to a club in either city or comparing a beach in Miami to a beach in Galvestion TX or in San Fran because in your words if it's a beach it's all the same everywhere. Not really into going back and forth with y'all. If you think a black professional has the same amount of options in all those cities than you can think that. I can party in Vadolsta and in Manhatttan but I guess it's the same to you since a club is a club. But I don't feel like blabbing with y'all allday about this

Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
[b]I'm talking about quality and amount of options one has available.
I know you are.

Quote:
For example there are clubs in Vegas, Salt Lake City and in Buffalo NY so in your opinion it's all the same because you can go to a club in either city or comparing a beach in Miami to a beach in Galvestion TX or in San Fran because in your words if it's a beach it's all the same everywhere. Not really into going back and forth with y'all. If you think a black professional has the same amount of options in all those cities than you can think that. I can party in Vadolsta and in Manhatttan but I guess it's the same to you since a club is a club. But I don't feel like blabbing with y'all allday about this
Oh please. everything that you named is done in large scales within the black communities in the cities I named. Can you go on eventbrite and see the numerous amount of events that happens every weekend in the cities I named? Yes. Can you go on meetup and see the numerous amount of events that happen every weekend in the cities I named? Yes. Can you go on facebook and see the multiple amount of events that happened every weekend and day during these cities? Yes. You have little to no experience of Houston or any of these cities but then you turn around and act like you are the ultimate tour guide or promoter for these cities.

Quote:
Those cities are cool but as a black professional you aren't going to have multiple events that you can go to just about every weekend to choose from.
This is just pure ignorance and shows how little you know about these cities.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I know you are.

Oh please. everything that you named is done in large scales within the black communities in the cities I named. Can you go on eventbrite and see the numerous amount of events that happens every weekend in the cities I named? Yes. Can you go on meetup and see the numerous amount of events that happen every weekend in the cities I named? Yes. Can you go on facebook and see the multiple amount of events that happened every weekend and day during these cities? Yes. You have little to no experience of Houston or any of these cities but then you turn around and act like you are the ultimate tour guide or promoter for these cities.

This is just pure ignorance and shows how little you know about these cities.
Ok. Thank you. So in your words why move to NYC for events when you can find the same events in Phoenix. Great job with your analysis. Every city have events on all the social sites so every city is the same for black professional so black professionals don't move to D.C. or Atlanta move to Seattle and Phoenix because it's all the same is what she said

Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 AM

27,786 posts, read 24,826,396 times
Quote:
Ok. Thank you. So in your words why move to NYC for events when you can find the same events in Phoenix. Great job with your analysis. Every city have events on all the social sites so every city is the same for black professional so black professionals don't move to D.C. or Atlanta move to Seattle and Phoenix because it's all the same is what she said
He specifically mentioned Houston, Dallas, DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago, not Seattle or Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or