U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM

18,596 posts, read 26,973,638 times

Advertisements

This comment:

Quote:
Those cities are cool but as a black professional you aren't going to have multiple events that you can go to just about every weekend to choose from.
shows your ignorance. There is a very large black professional population in Houston, Chicago, and Philadelphia. You will have multiple events every weekend to choose from. These are facts. You are trying to say they have events, festivals, parties, etc. every once in a while and not every weekend. Maybe cities with smaller black population that is true such as a Seattle or Phoenix. But for the former cities I named, this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM

28,200 posts, read 26,136,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Does anyone know of any old school hip hop lounges or clubs in NYC on Saturday and Sunday night?
Try Mo's in Fort Greene, Bedford Hall or Corner Social.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This comment:

shows your ignorance. There is a very large black professional population in Houston, Chicago, and Philadelphia. You will have multiple events every weekend to choose from. These are facts. You are trying to say they have events, festivals, parties, etc. every once in a while and not every weekend. Maybe cities with smaller black population that is true such as a Seattle or Phoenix. But for the former cities I named, this is not the case.
I can't speak for Chicago and Houston, but what is there to do for younger educated professionals on any given weekend in Philly?

I am sure there are things to do in Philly, but a chief complaint of many of my friends who have gone to school or worked there temporarily is that there aren't many options for their particular demographic.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I would put DC on there but I would have to go back and visit again but for black professionals the scene in DC has fell off a little. Back when I was there or near DC from 2002-2009 its was popping with Dream/Love, VIP Club, Ozios, 1223 on Wednesday, Pearl, Fur, Ibiza, Sequoya, etc. Now people just go to The Park and a couple of other spots. The scene has just changed so much since then.
You're just talking about clubs and The Park became played out years ago. Clubs aren't really that popular in many cities beyond Miami and Vegas.

Day parties have become a big thing because you basically get a club-like atmosphere without getting home at 3AM. Makes it a lot easier to get ready for church or work the next morning.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 2,512,725 times
Quote:
This comment:

Sure but they don't have as manyoptions has Atlanta. Just like Vegas and Kansas city both have clubs but Vegas has more and better options. Miami and Coney Island both have beaches but Miami has better beaches.

I'm the next several months we have plenty of events bringing tens of thousands of AA to the city such as...

Afropunk
One Musicfest
HBCU weekend
House in the Park
BET Hip Hop Awards
Luda Weekend
Bronx/NYC Weekend.
CAU/Spelman/Morehouse Homecoming
National Black Arts Festival
Etc etc etc

These are just the larger events not even counting the small to mid range events.

How many huge events (no national tours) are coming to Houston from now until October ? Events bringing in at least 10k people?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM

4,011 posts, read 2,512,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You're just talking about clubs and The Park became played out years ago. Clubs aren't really that popular in many cities beyond Miami and Vegas.

Day parties have become a big thing because you basically get a club-like atmosphere without getting home at 3AM. Makes it a lot easier to get ready for church or work the next morning.
Vegas is cool but I didn't care for all the top 40 and EDM I heard but it's still fun but not catered to us

Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 PM

29,748 posts, read 27,173,522 times
Quote:
I can't speak for Chicago and Houston, but what is there to do for younger educated professionals on any given weekend in Philly?

I am sure there are things to do in Philly, but a chief complaint of many of my friends who have gone to school or worked there temporarily is that there aren't many options for their particular demographic.
You have a point; that demographic is somewhat limited in Philly compared to DC, Atlanta, etc. But there's still enough offered at least periodically to keep them occupied.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Sure but they don't have as manyoptions has Atlanta. Just like Vegas and Kansas city both have clubs but Vegas has more and better options. Miami and Coney Island both have beaches but Miami has better beaches.

I'm the next several months we have plenty of events bringing tens of thousands of AA to the city such as...

Afropunk
One Musicfest
HBCU weekend
House in the Park
BET Hip Hop Awards
Luda Weekend
Bronx/NYC Weekend.
CAU/Spelman/Morehouse Homecoming
National Black Arts Festival
Etc etc etc

These are just the larger events not even counting the small to mid range events.

How many huge events (no national tours) are coming to Houston from now until October ? Events bringing in at least 10k people?
You seem to think I'm comparing Houston to Atlanta. I'm not. I'm responding to your ignorant comment that outside of Atlanta, NYC, and LA, other cities with large black populations have little to do weekly for black people. Yes Houston will have large events from now until October such as the Texas Greek Picnic, Heritage festival, and Labor Day Classic Weekend, etc. etc. Point is, most cities with large black populations (especially ones with over one million black people) will have large black centric events weekly. So your comment that you heard Houston was wack when you never been there was not only ridiculous but childish.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Well I'm surprised to hear that about Philly. I thought they had much to do weekly but I don't think Black Philadelphians leave the metro every weekend because of this so called belief of there is nothing to do civilly.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM

29,748 posts, read 27,173,522 times
Quote:
Well I'm surprised to hear that about Philly. I thought they had much to do weekly but I don't think Black Philadelphians leave the metro every weekend because of this so called belief of there is nothing to do civilly.
Nah that's not the case, but its shortcomings are somewhat amplified being right between NY and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or