U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Stuff to do" is subjective. If your preferred crowd is Miami Urban Beach Weekend, you will probably have more to do in most cities than if your preferred crowd is Oak Bluffs.
Stuff to do is having stuff to do for every group of black folks. If you are 35 you shouldn't be forced to have to go to events that cater to people 21-25 or over 50. If you are a buppie you shouldnt be forced to hang with the ratchets. If you want to go to a spot with no dress code but not be around the ratchets you have also have that option. Etc. If you are 38 and want to hear old school music and not this bs that is out now you should have that option. Also you should be forced to go to the same spots every weekend. You should also have other options within your social scene to do other stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,350,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i can relate. i convinced a girlfriend to come visit me in boston while we were in summer break from college. big mistake. she made up her mind that boston was a horrible city and forced herself to have a bad time. i asked her if she wanted to go to my cousins club; she said no. do you wanna' go to a film festival (one of the sites for the ifc just happened to be down the street); no. sox game; no. shopping at copley; no. walk in the common; no. reggae summer concert series at the zoo; no, i just wanna' chill and watch t.v. in the hotel room. 15 minutes later shes like: i hate boston, theres never nothing to do here.
Lmao so you offered her 7 different things to do in the same day and she still wasn't satisfied? smh. Next time ask her "what would you like to do?" that way she can't be picky. Orrrr maybe she only came to Boston to have fun with you in the hotel room and she wanted to get straight to it . I mean, she obviously didn't want to be out in public so it seems like the conclusion is she wanted to be with you in private . Ijs.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

52,673 posts, read 75,557,228 times
While this is old, here is some information in terms of Black owned firms by state: United States - Total Black-owned firms, percent, 2007 by State

For the top 100 cities: List of the 100 largest cities ranked by Total Black-owned firms, percent, 2007

At that time, the national percentage was 7.1%. Wouldn't be surprised if it is a bit higher now.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 AM

434 posts, read 285,161 times
Two cities that pop into mind would be Atlanta and Montgomery.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Two cities that pop into mind would be Atlanta and Montgomery.
Why Montgomery?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,943,310 times
i posted this link in the boston forum but it seems more apropo here:
Boston. Racism. Image. Reality: The Spotlight Team takes on our hardest question - The Boston Globe
Quote:
The Globe ran a data analysis of census tracts nationally to see which met three criteria: At least 15 percent of the residents are black; and among the black residents, at least 30 percent had a four-year college degree and their household income was at or above the median for their metro area. (That is about $75,000 in Greater Boston.)

Here in Greater Boston there are just four such enclaves: two in Stoughton, one in Milton, and one in Boston’s Hyde Park neighborhood. If the search were done looking for neighborhoods that met these criteria for white residents, the results would be a bountiful choice of 516 enclaves. The Boston area also reflects a pattern of segregation that is more extensive than in most other metro regions, studies show.

Forty-five other metropolitan areas have far more black enclaves than Boston, including some major metropolitan centers, such as New York, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta, each with more than 100 enclaves, and other smaller urban areas, particularly — but not only — in the South.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i posted this link in the boston forum but it seems more apropo here:
Boston. Racism. Image. Reality: The Spotlight Team takes on our hardest question - The Boston Globe
Interesting, but Iím curious about if they used the same exact criteria for white residents or did the Globe adjust for a percentage just above the national white percentage?

Iím actually surprised that there werenít more tracts in the Boston area that fit in places like Cambridge, Malden, Randolph, some of the other southern Boston neighborhoods and maybe even Medford, Lynn and Somerville. Iím thinking in terms of a census tract in these places.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,943,310 times
^ good question (+1); the way it reads, the only changed variable was black/white. how many total enclaves are there in boston ?

if it defined that 15% is approximate to the u.s. black (+ black/mixed race) percentage then it would make sense for them to do the same for caucasion (+caucasion/mixed race) percentage as well.
maybe a large amount of caucasions in metro boston are not bachelors or do not earn more than the metro median household income ?

Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times
Jeezy, TLC and Tyrese to perform at Peach Drop

Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What's the relevance of this to the topic at hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or