U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Missouri City/Frenso/SW Houston

However, blacks in Houston are more spread out. Blacks in Houston are not mostly confined to one area like in DFW. They are all over the metro, making Houston more socially black than its neighbor to the north. You won't find too many areas in Houston where you won't see any blacks (maybe Montgomery County, but even then, I see many blacks up there shopping and eating out.) In DFW, I didn't see many at all many times, and it was based on the area I was in. I did see more when we were heading back to Houston.
Blacks are all over DFW as well. Many in Irving, Arlington, GP, Plano, Richardson, Flower Mound, Lewisville, etc. etc. etc. Blacks in Houston are more spread out but it's not you won't see Blacks all over the rest of the metroplex either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know how it stacks up in the history department, but it has an HBCU and a strong engineering/tech economy for sure.

Well the most basic definition of a mecca is a place that attracts many people. Some of the other things being discussed are more subjective, but I think most can agree that factors relating to history, culture, and various facets of influence should be included as well.
Huntsville has the history of the typical black south. Other than that, most of its history is tied to A&M.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Blacks are all over DFW as well. Many in Irving, Arlington, GP, Plano, Richardson, Flower Mound, Lewisville, etc. etc. etc. Blacks in Houston are more spread out but it's not you won't see Blacks all over the rest of the metroplex either.
Not to the extent of Houston, however. You can look at the 2010 Census map to come up with that conclusion.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:54 PM

183 posts, read 172,885 times
Quote:
I don't try hard at all. Houston is up there. A lot of y'all are so threatened by Houston; it's sad. Mutiny and I had a loooooong discussion about Houston and Atlanta, so don't go there with me. Although Houston and Dallas have similar AA populations, they are NOT peers; Houston is more black friendly than Dallas; the black Dallas people know this. I have a classmate who lives in DFW. He says he cannot find many black people; he is coming to Houston next month because he has heard that Houston is blacker than Dallas. I, also, know this other black girl who lives in Dallas and says that Houston has a ****load of black; she says it's too black.

It's people like you that need to be reminded that Houston can hold a candle to Atlanta and DC. I've lived in Atlanta for over 3 years, and I now live in Houston; they are very similar, and moving Houston didn't expose any type of lacking in the black department. When I went to Atlanta this past weekend, blacks there were speaking highly of Houston.

Also, Houston doesn't lack any history like Dallas does. Research Houston's black history. Please don't be ignorant.

Trust me, I know black Houston.
Recounting anecdotal third-party conversations is not a good way to relay information on public forums. None of us were with you to confirm or deny the accuracy of the conversatons you were involved in. One could say it comes across as disingenuous.

Anyways, I in no way, shape or form feel threatened by Houston.

My response to you was to present some facts based personal experiences to acknowledge that Houston isn't even the sole "Black Mecca" within it's own state.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:59 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying.

Some posters have come up with good questions and reasoning about the whole mecca thing. I guess it is subjective to a major extent. And who gives a crap about radio stations? Lol. We all probably listening to our phone music in the radio more than anything. The radio stations play the same thing!
Well radio might not be as important today as it was in times past, but it's still an important communications channel that goes well beyond music; it's also how information about community events are broadcast, how community leaders and members communicate to audiences, etc.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well radio might not be as important today as it was in times past, but it's still an important communications channel that goes well beyond music; it's also how information about community events are broadcast, how community leaders and members communicate to audiences, etc.
OK. I see where you're going.

Houston has 3 hip hop stations (1 being classic - Boom92), 2 R&B stations, and a radio station at TSU and PVAMU each that play all types of black music.

Honestly, most major black metros are getting classic hip hop stations and a hip hop station that is entitled "The Beat."

Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Recounting anecdotal third-party conversations is not a good way to relay information on public forums. None of us were with you to confirm or deny the accuracy of the conversatons you were involved in. One could say it comes across as disingenuous.

Anyways, I in no way, shape or form feel threatened by Houston.

My response to you was to present some facts based personal experiences to acknowledge that Houston isn't even the sole "Black Mecca" within it's own state.
Go a few pages back when Mutiny and I were conversing.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,531,523 times
Radio stations are important. It sets the mood of the city. I always knew I was close to NYC when Hot 97 would come on and Flex would be dropping nothing but heat back in the day

Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
OK. I see where you're going.

Houston has 3 hip hop stations (1 being classic - Boom92), 2 R&B stations, and a radio station at TSU and PVAMU each that play all types of black music.

Honestly, most major black metros are getting classic hip hop stations and a hip hop station that is entitled "The Beat."
You can't discount radio stations at HBCUs and I'm glad you mentioned them; a lot of times they play the good non-syndicated material.

In most metro areas with a sizable Black population, you're at least going to get one hip hop/R&B, one old school jams, and one Gospel radio station.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You can't discount radio stations at HBCUs and I'm glad you mentioned them; a lot of times they play the good non-syndicated material.

In most metro areas with a sizable Black population, you're at least going to get one hip hop/R&B, one old school jams, and one Gospel radio station.
That's true. Most of the times, the HBCU stations will play music from black artists that we've never heard of or music that we aren't aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or