U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,230 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Serious questions with no shade or pun intended.

I've been looking at data for hours now and have noticed that Dallas and Houston take turns growing faster than one another in terms of black growth. However, since DFW has a fast growing black population, where are the blacks moving to? Why do a lot of black people complain about DFW not having ENOUGH black culture? Why are many blacks having a hard time finding a black community (of course, many people don't try to look for anything)?

When I've visited the times I did, it didn't seem "as black as Houston." I know blacks are there because the numbers show it! What's really the deal?
It's a mix of Atlanta and Houston. It's Houston in that Blacks are spreading all over the metro. From East Fort Worth to South and North Dallas to the various suburbs. Mesquite, Garland, Plano, Arlington, etc. and such receives a decent share of relocated Blacks from within the state and out of state. It's Atlanta in that probably about 50% or so of DFW's black population resides in the South Dallas County suburbs of Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, etc ;as well as South Dallas.

It's not hard to find a black community in the metroplex. Cities like Lancaster are nice communities in South Dallas. As well as Cedar Hill, Duncanville, etc. But there have been many conversations about why Dallas does not have that strong black presence like you get in Houston, Atlanta, or DC numerous times on here. A big part is a lack of a strong HBCU culture inside the metro. DFW doesn't have this unfortunately and with TSU and PVA&M presence and influence growing in Houston, the gap may widen slightly when it comes down to influence and presence. What will keep DFW close to Houston is the fact that DFW has a more diverse economy and more diverse array of opportunities than Houston. This is pretty much why DFW was catching up to Houston the last couple decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,230 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
1) Most blacks who move to the DFW area move to the suburbs rather than the central cities themselves (unlike Houston, where you'll see blacks in the Central city inside the loop and the suburbs) and are more dispersed throughout the metro, particularly in the northern suburbs like Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney...one of my nephews moved there with some friends of his, all in their early 20s, and they didn't even think to look in the city of Dallas because apartments were either too expensive in the "hot" areas, or too ghetto/ratchet in South Dallas or in the Five Points area in NE Dallas. They chose Arlington and Grand Prairie instead.

1a) Anecdotally, it seems that DFW is more popular for black families while black singles seem to prefer Houston. Family-oriented people aren't going to be in the scene/mix the way singles are and have more important things to worry about than nightlife or going to the latest art events, therefore, reflecting the comparative lack of black culture (which is usually driven by singles or DINKs) in DFW in contrast to Houston.

2) The native blacks tend to stick to areas south of Interstate 30. And there was never an extensive middle-class black community in Dallas or Fort Worth that was equivalent to the Third Ward in Houston. And a lot of black neighborhoods in Dallas were torn down for freeways roughly 50 years ago.

3) A few black posters from the DFW area who transplanted there also refer to the whole dynamic of Black Natives vs. Transplants there and how the two don't get along or mix well with each other (because the natives seem to be quite insular and hostile to newcomers), but I'll leave that to them to discuss that. There's more that I could say, but the natives of DFW tend to get very defensive about this particular issue.
Yeah I've read about this as well on other forums. You don't get that type of dynamic with Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,579,516 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
1) Most blacks who move to the DFW area move to the suburbs rather than the central cities themselves (unlike Houston, where you'll see blacks in the Central city inside the loop and the suburbs) and are more dispersed throughout the metro, particularly in the northern suburbs like Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney...one of my nephews moved there with some friends of his, all in their early 20s, and they didn't even think to look in the city of Dallas because apartments were either too expensive in the "hot" areas, or too ghetto/ratchet in South Dallas or in the Five Points area in NE Dallas. They chose Arlington and Grand Prairie instead.

1a) Anecdotally, it seems that DFW is more popular for black families while black singles seem to prefer Houston. Family-oriented people aren't going to be in the scene/mix the way singles are and have more important things to worry about than nightlife or going to the latest art events, therefore, reflecting the comparative lack of black culture (which is usually driven by singles or DINKs) in DFW in contrast to Houston.

2) The native blacks tend to stick to areas south of Interstate 30. And there was never an extensive middle-class black community in Dallas or Fort Worth that was equivalent to the Third Ward in Houston. And a lot of black neighborhoods in Dallas were torn down for freeways roughly 50 years ago.

3) A few black posters from the DFW area who transplanted there also refer to the whole dynamic of Black Natives vs. Transplants there and how the two don't get along or mix well with each other (because the natives seem to be quite insular and hostile to newcomers), but I'll leave that to them to discuss that. There's more that I could say, but the natives of DFW tend to get very defensive about this particular issue.
Makes sense!

1. True about Houston. You have three historic black communities inside the Loop: Third Ward, Fifth Ward, and Fourth Ward. Third Ward is the home of Texas Southern and a lot of wealthy blacks. Fifth Ward is the home of Houston's Creole population, which still has strong influences today. Fourth Ward (partially) is still standing in the midst of "Midtown."

I do realize that most of DFW's blacks are south of I-20, which plays a big role in visibility overall. From what many people have said, they are poorer. I visited Uptown and points north, so I didn't see as much as I had hoped.

1a. This is also true. Places that are more family oriented seem to be more sleepy, so I can see why single blacks feel a certain way about Dallas. I believe this is a reason why DFW has had many years where its black population has grown faster than Houston's; families bring in more population than singles, obviously. I think with Houston being more of a singles type of place and gaining more blacks than most places including DFW during some years shouldn't go unnoticed.

2. Honestly, I didn't know Dallas's black neighborhoods were torn down to make freeways; it's not hard to believe for obvious reasons.

3. I've heard about the crab in the bucket mentality up there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,579,516 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's a mix of Atlanta and Houston. It's Houston in that Blacks are spreading all over the metro. From East Fort Worth to South and North Dallas to the various suburbs. Mesquite, Garland, Plano, Arlington, etc. and such receives a decent share of relocated Blacks from within the state and out of state. It's Atlanta in that probably about 50% or so of DFW's black population resides in the South Dallas County suburbs of Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, etc ;as well as South Dallas.

It's not hard to find a black community in the metroplex. Cities like Lancaster are nice communities in South Dallas. As well as Cedar Hill, Duncanville, etc. But there have been many conversations about why Dallas does not have that strong black presence like you get in Houston, Atlanta, or DC numerous times on here. A big part is a lack of a strong HBCU culture inside the metro. DFW doesn't have this unfortunately and with TSU and PVA&M presence and influence growing in Houston, the gap may widen slightly when it comes down to influence and presence. What will keep DFW close to Houston is the fact that DFW has a more diverse economy and more diverse array of opportunities than Houston. This is pretty much why DFW was catching up to Houston the last couple decades.
Gotcha. I know I've been shady before, but I've really always wanted to know this. LOL. And TBH, your comment, other posters' comments, YouTube commentary, LipStick Alley commentary (I AM NOT SOUTHERN DUDE LOL), and my friends' comments and experiences have all said the same thing. I guess, it's true.

I think DFW is mostly set up like Atlanta, because despite Atlanta having most of its blacks south of I-20, you still have enclaves (not historic) in Cobb and Gwinnett Counties. Based on the demography maps, DFW has enclaves outside of its majority, but it's on a much lesser scale than Atlanta. Houston has actual historic black communities in different areas like Acres Homes (NW), Sunnyside/South Park (S), Fifth Ward/Third Ward/Fourth Ward (Central), and others, so based on what biscuit_head said about DFW's lack of a black community, I see some type of disagreement; the areas in Houston surrounding these black communities are budding/have budded off these communities like 1960/Willowbrook/Humble/Atascocita (Acres Homes/Greenspoint - don't know if it's historic), Pearland (Sunnyside/South Park), Mo City (Hiram Clark), and Richmond (Alief - don't think it's historic). Even Prairie View and Cypress have some type of connection. I think DFW, as well as Houston and other places, are seeing more blacks move to areas outside of black communities. Examples include DFW's Frisco and Houston's Katy.

Also, the HBCU culture is true. I have never lived in a city that didn't have an HBCU, so IDK how it would feel to live in a city without a one.

Houston is finally starting to diversify economically! FINALLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 AM
 
27,767 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Also, the HBCU culture is true. I have never lived in a city that didn't have an HBCU, so IDK how it would feel to live in a city without a one.
Well Dallas does have Paul Quinn College but it's a small private college and has only been there since 1990 (it moved from Waco). Before that there was Bishop College which closed in 1988.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,579,516 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Dallas does have Paul Quinn College but it's a small private college and has only been there since 1990 (it moved from Waco). Before that there was Bishop College which closed in 1988.
Paul Quinn? Lol.

Austin has one too.

I’m speaking on an HBCU with prominence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 PM
 
198 posts, read 72,812 times
Reputation: 166
https://mobile.twitter.com/deray/sta...41979633913857


Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,283 posts, read 3,347,532 times
Reputation: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
Smh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,119,661 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Serious questions with no shade or pun intended.

I've been looking at data for hours now and have noticed that Dallas and Houston take turns growing faster than one another in terms of black growth. However, since DFW has a fast growing black population, where are the blacks moving to? Why do a lot of black people complain about DFW not having ENOUGH black culture? Why are many blacks having a hard time finding a black community (of course, many people don't try to look for anything)?

When I've visited the times I did, it didn't seem "as black as Houston." I know blacks are there because the numbers show it! What's really the deal?
I trying wrap my head around this post

1. I never heard of people complain there a lack of Black culture in DFW. Compare to Atlanta yes but compare to Houston?. No............. I tend to put NY, ATL, and Chicago, DC, as the top tire. Then Houston, DFW, LA, Detroit, Philly, New Orleans and etc as a second.

2. Where heck did you go in DFW?

There are Historic Black neighborhoods In South Dallas, and different Parts of Fort Worth. As well as significant number of blacks in the Midcities like Arlington and etc. As well a smaller numbers outside of Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Dallas actually has a lot black history in regarding Blues, Jazz and ragtime music. Deep Em was a important center of this but you would hardly tell now, cause it more alternative

One of the most influential black pastors church T.D. Jakes Church is in Dallas,

And a lot of the ratchet dances and music in late 2000's came from DFW like the Dougie and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,230 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I trying wrap my head around this post

1. I never heard of people complain there a lack of Black culture in DFW. Compare to Atlanta yes but compare to Houston?. No............. I tend to put NY, ATL, and Chicago, DC, as the top tire. Then Houston, DFW, LA, Detroit, Philly, New Orleans and etc as a second.

2. Where heck did you go in DFW?

There are Historic Black neighborhoods In South Dallas, and different Parts of Fort Worth. As well as significant number of blacks in the Midcities like Arlington and etc. As well a smaller numbers outside of Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Dallas actually has a lot black history in regarding Blues, Jazz and ragtime music. Deep Em was a important center of this but you would hardly tell now, cause it more alternative

One of the most influential black pastors church T.D. Jakes Church is in Dallas,

And a lot of the ratchet dances and music in late 2000's came from DFW like the Dougie and etc.
I wouldn’t put Chicago in that same tier as DC, Atlanta, or NYC today. While I do disagree with him that Houston is much stronger than DFW for Black culture, Houston is still seen as the more popular city between the two with a slightly stronger culture. It helps that Houston has two large HBCU’s in its metro area. Dallas doesn’t have this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top