U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,738,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I wasn’t aware that Atlanta was going through a decrease in the percentage of black folks either. I was under the impression based of people moving down south that the black percentages grew like crazy down there but in reality it was one of the major American cities that was loosing percentages in Black folks!
It is in the city proper, but it's for economic reasons. Between 2002 and 2010, all of the public housing projects were closed down and in their place mixed income apartment blocks were built. When that occurred though, the same capacity wasn't added back so a lot of people ended up moving out to the inner ring suburbs where more affordable housing could be found. The jury is out though about exactly how many people fell in to that latter bucket.

One of the big debates during the last mayoral race however was how handle gentrification and developers who seemingly only want to build "luxury" apartments in the city now. The new Mayor has a affordable housing plan she's working on that aims to make sure poor and working class folks have a place to live in the city proper.

Basically we're facing the same challenge DC and NYC are facing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:49 AM

7,248 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Black Panther was filmed in Atlanta, therefore Atlanta is Wakanda.

Unrelated, related story: I had an opportunity to be an extra in the film as a friend was on the local casting team, but sadly I could not partake. They were casting passers-by for the Wakanda street scenes with "classically African features". My high yellow self would stick out like sore thumb.
It's settled: Atlanta is the disputed black Mecca. I almost forgot one of the biggest movies in history, with an all black cast, was filmed in Atlanta.

DC is in at #2

Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 PM

684 posts, read 427,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's settled: Atlanta is the disputed black Mecca. I almost forgot one of the biggest movies in history, with an all black cast, was filmed in Atlanta.

DC is in at #2
It was also filmed in South Korea too.

27,775 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
“Is Atlanta in danger is losing its Black Mecca status”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...status-n825996

Mutiny77 what do you think or make of this article?
What waronxmas said.

Not sure if you paid attention to the last mayoral election in Atlanta, but a lot of my Black friends and associates on FB were tuned in--especially here in DC--because it was almost like a referendum on the state of the prosperous gentrifying Black city. For all of the flack Atlanta gets from some Black folks, it was very evident in that moment that they still recognized the city's stature and importance in Black America and that what happens there can be a harbinger of things to come elsewhere.

1,922 posts, read 656,353 times
Quote:
Black Panther was filmed in Atlanta, therefore Atlanta is Wakanda.

Unrelated, related story: I had an opportunity to be an extra in the film as a friend was on the local casting team, but sadly I could not partake. They were casting passers-by for the Wakanda street scenes with "classically African features". My high yellow self would stick out like sore thumb.
So the opening scene of the movie wasn’t filmed in actual Oakland?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It is in the city proper, but it's for economic reasons. Between 2002 and 2010, all of the public housing projects were closed down and in their place mixed income apartment blocks were built. When that occurred though, the same capacity wasn't added back so a lot of people ended up moving out to the inner ring suburbs where more affordable housing could be found. The jury is out though about exactly how many people fell in to that latter bucket.

One of the big debates during the last mayoral race however was how handle gentrification and developers who seemingly only want to build "luxury" apartments in the city now. The new Mayor has a affordable housing plan she's working on that aims to make sure poor and working class folks have a place to live in the city proper.

Basically we're facing the same challenge DC and NYC are facing.
Thats good and important information and totally debunks the theory made on this thread that some thriving black communities are irrelevant. Atlanta still seems to be a nice go to spot for Blacks even though Blacks are being pushed out into the burbs.

I was relatively shocked to bring this up cause it was major decrease in Black percentages between 1990 and 2014!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What waronxmas said.

Not sure if you paid attention to the last mayoral election in Atlanta, but a lot of my Black friends and associates on FB were tuned in--especially here in DC--because it was almost like a referendum on the state of the prosperous gentrifying Black city. For all of the flack Atlanta gets from some Black folks, it was very evident in that moment that they still recognized the city's stature and importance in Black America and that what happens there can be a harbinger of things to come elsewhere.
Yea I followed a bit through black social media!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:16 PM

Charlotte, NC should be a discussed city. I assume it’s not speaked on because it’s a quite place. I was looking online and Columbus, Ohio seems to have a growth in Black businesses!

Old 03-30-2018, 04:47 PM

796 posts, read 794,232 times
the top cities where black people have the highest populations, do well (middle and upper class status) and have the most amenities available to them (network, education, cultural amenities) are NYC, DC, and ATL metros and this isn't debatable. Anyone discounting the NYC metro has likely never lived there or left because they couldn't afford it.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
the top cities where black people have the highest populations, do well (middle and upper class status) and have the most amenities available to them (network, education, cultural amenities) are NYC, DC, and ATL metros and this isn't debatable. Anyone discounting the NYC metro has likely never lived there or left because they couldn't afford it.
Thank you. Apparently KodeBlue made the claim that NYCs successful black communities are “irrelevant”. Despite them being middle class and 90% black. Obviously some of the blackest communities in America.

I’m still trying to understand what exactly is an “irrelevant” successful black commubity. Hopefully someone else can answer this question because Kodeblue will hide from his foolish comments like he usually does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or