U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 1,941,937 times

Advertisements

^ i was questioning peter because he listed charlette and nashville as possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 PM

134 posts, read 36,927 times
I'll say the Miami Dade area for Black Carribeans. I know African Americans and West Indians are two distinct ethnic groups, but a lot of Caribbean in South Florida have resided there for generations so their technically African Americans despite not have the long history of slavery in the US.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 AM

^ um. no, we're still west-indians. just because you werent born in the west-indies doesnt automagically make you african-american.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 36,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ um. no, we're still west-indians. just because you werent born in the west-indies doesnt automagically make you african-american.
I'm talking west indians who are American born not those who are immigrants.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I'm talking west indians who are American born not those who are immigrants.
e.g. i was born in boston. i am haitian-american; not, african-american.

not a diss against african-americans. its like saying a japanese-american born in the u.s. transforms into a chinese-american after 2 generations ?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:11 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,711,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
e.g. i was born in boston. i am haitian-american; not, african-american.

not a diss against african-americans. its like saying a japanese-american born in the u.s. transforms into a chinese-american after 2 generations ?
As far as I know African American is a politically correct way to say "oh, you have melanin."

Old 06-07-2018, 06:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 653,776 times
Isnít Nashville by far a white city?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
As far as I know African American is a politically correct way to say "oh, you have melanin."
i think it used to be. but statistically there will be more non-african-american black persons than african-americans in the u.s.a. so most tend to refer to us as generically black.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:09 PM

281 posts, read 133,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why did we bother desegregating everything when the blacks obviously would rather just be amongst themselves anyway?
+1

Seems hypocritical to ask for integration...then proceed to voluntarily self-segregate. I also don’t see whites seeking out the white Mecca, Asians seeking out the Asian Mecca, Hispanics seeking out the Hispanic Mecca, etc.

Imagine if someone made this same thread but replaced “black” with “white.” They would be labeled a Neo-Nazi KKK member.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:10 PM

9,587 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
+1

Seems hypocritical to ask for integration...then proceed to voluntarily self-segregate. I also don’t see whites seeking out the white Mecca, Asians seeking out the Asian Mecca, Hispanics seeking out the Hispanic Mecca, etc.

Imagine if someone made this same thread but replaced “black” with “white.” They would be labeled a Neo-Nazi KKK member.
I think self-segregation is associated with cultural differences. America is such a diverse place with so many cultures that you’re going to see self-segregation to some degree. People like different things and typically would rather hang with people that act like they do. People tend to act a certain way based on their race in general.

As for Black Mecca, I think you have to separate that based on living preference. I think the urban Black Mecca’s will always be DC and NYC. I think the suburban Black Mecca’s are definitely Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston. Living in DC proper and NYC offers a very different lifestyle than Atlanta, Charlotte, or Houston. People looking for a slower, less dense, cheaper lifestyle are moving to those cities in droves. People who still want an urban lifestyle in a dense city are still moving to NYC and DC. Different strokes for different folks even within the same race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or