U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think it used to be. but statistically there will be more non-african-american black persons than african-americans in the u.s.a. so most tend to refer to us as generically black.
How do you come to this weird conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 PM

427 posts, read 643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
+1

Seems hypocritical to ask for integration...then proceed to voluntarily self-segregate. I also don’t see whites seeking out the white Mecca, Asians seeking out the Asian Mecca, Hispanics seeking out the Hispanic Mecca, etc.

Imagine if someone made this same thread but replaced “black” with “white.” They would be labeled a Neo-Nazi KKK member.
Except, all of those races you mentioned, do seek out places where their kind are doing well, or share common cultural nuances and values/views. Especially Asians and Hispanics. I'm not sure how you don't see it, it's not hard to find. Miami wouldn't be what it is today if not for it being perceived as a "Hispanic mecca", mainly by Hispanics themselves.

Why label it "self-segregation" instead of "self-empowerment"? "Self-sufficiency"? Seems this society is too used to blacks being coddled by others. It's not about alienation, it's racial autonomy. When East Asians do it and invest within their community, they're praised as model citizens, but blacks are made to be some type of rebel entity "segregating" from society as if it's some threat.

Desegregation was a move to mobilize blacks as legitimate members of society and break the pattern of disenfranchisement and discrimination, and the affluence of prominent black communities in cities listed in this very thread is a result of that effort. The thread is to highlight these communities that are often overlooked/ignored/forgotten in American society.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:43 PM

1,991 posts, read 866,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think self-segregation is associated with cultural differences. America is such a diverse place with so many cultures that you’re going to see self-segregation to some degree. People like different things and typically would rather hang with people that act like they do. People tend to act a certain way based on their race in general.

As for Black Mecca, I think you have to separate that based on living preference. I think the urban Black Mecca’s will always be DC and NYC. I think the suburban Black Mecca’s are definitely Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston. Living in DC proper and NYC offers a very different lifestyle than Atlanta, Charlotte, or Houston. People looking for a slower, less dense, cheaper lifestyle are moving to those cities in droves. People who still want an urban lifestyle in a dense city are still moving to NYC and DC. Different strokes for different folks even within the same race.
That’s true. Whenever I check black women on Tinder I notice a lot of southern black transplants who live in NYC, Philly and DC so lifestyle is definitely a plus!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
I'm not saying Houston or Atlanta (don't know about Charlotte) are as urban as DC or NYC. But if you move to those two sunbelt city cores and expecting a "suburban" lifestyle, chances are, you will be disappointed. The fact is, Blacks aren't moving to Houston and Atlanta proper more than they are moving to their suburbs. But the ones that do move to the cores aren't exactly getting an urban lifestyle akin to DC or NYC, but they also aren't getting a suburban lifestyle similar to Woodbridge or Naperville either. It also comes down to which suburban you're talking about when it comes to their cores? Upper Marlboro or Rosslyn?

Last edited by Spade; 06-10-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 10:57 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
Quote:
i think it used to be. but statistically there will be more non-african-american black persons than african-americans in the u.s.a. so most tend to refer to us as generically black.
Non African? You're as African as I am. Why do islanders deny African heritage?

Old 06-10-2018, 12:37 PM

4,549 posts, read 2,322,628 times
Quote:
+1

Seems hypocritical to ask for integration...then proceed to voluntarily self-segregate. I also don’t see whites seeking out the white Mecca, Asians seeking out the Asian Mecca, Hispanics seeking out the Hispanic Mecca, etc.

Imagine if someone made this same thread but replaced “black” with “white.” They would be labeled a Neo-Nazi KKK member.
their are a few hispanic/italian/irish/asian/indian/portuguese/...-centric threads.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:13 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
+1

Seems hypocritical to ask for integration...then proceed to voluntarily self-segregate.
We voluntarily self-segregated after Whites made it clear they didn't want to live in the same neighborhoods as Blacks or have their children attend schools with Black children. Don't sit here and imply that White America enthusiastically embraced desegregation and Black folks voluntarily self-segregated without cause or reason. That's extremely disingenuous on your part but it's not surprising at all that folks have such an ill-informed perspective.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How do you come to this weird conclusion?
huh ?

the term afro-american is kinda' passé. especially since a growing number of black persons in this country identify with the nation they (or their parents) immagrated from. since the 90's i've noticed that most black persons refer to themselves as black. maybe it depends on where one grew up ?

Old 06-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Non African? You're as African as I am. Why do islanders deny African heritage?
african usually pertains to ralating to africa.

african-american usually pertains to southern u.s.a. slave descent heritage and culture.

are cap-verdeans considered to be afro-american ?

par example, southern style soul-food is drastically different than what (and how) one eats at a moroccan restaurant.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 PM

1,043 posts, read 632,033 times
Quote:
huh ?

the term afro-american is kinda' passé. especially since a growing number of black persons in this country identify with the nation they (or their parents) immagrated from. since the 90's i've noticed that most black persons refer to themselves as black. maybe it depends on where one grew up ?
Not the terminology. The notion that other Black ethnicities ( Non African Americans) will outgrow African Americans. Where does that notion comes from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or