U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,426,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait a second man...let's be factual about this. Any city undergoing rampant gentrification like Nashville is only getting less Black and more White over time: https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ods/936368001/

Another hint at how to see how Diverse Nashville has become, it seems Blacks and other minorities are involved and head a lot of Nashville-Metro Government/ politics especially black women there...

http://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Counc...l-Members.aspx

Last edited by oobanks; 06-11-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM

9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yep Nashville blacks at least the average ones are being pushed further out to the burbs. The only thing that really helps saves Nashville's proper with it's black population though is the Consolidation so areas like Antioch is were they are mainly fleeing to so Davidson County still retains it's black population to a degree. With places like Atlanta city proper though which have been going through Similar is once your out of the city limit your out of the city limit. Areas like Clayton and DeKalb County gets to claim the majority of the black population. Atlanta has been getting whiter as well inner city wise but they are much better with affordable housing which helps retain a bit of that black population.
Is Atlanta proper actually losing their black population though? Has anyone ran the numbers to see whether the raw number is decreasing or increasing? I know in D.C. proper, people assumed the black population was decreasing, however, D.C. has gained 14,000 black people since 2010 despite the percentage of black people in the total population dropping. When you add 100,000 White, Hispanic, or Asian people and 14,000 Black people, the overall percentage is going to drop, however, that doesn't mean you're losing people.

Is Atlanta proper actually losing black people?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Close in area's close to Downtown maybe so but Nashville is a consolidated Metro-Government so most of the blacks are in areas like Antioch, Madison, and further in the burbs etc. If you are in Georgia these areas will give you more of a Decatur to Clarkston feel to some degree just to give you a better understanding but still considered to be Nashville-Davidson.
I'm not arguing that metro Nashville is losing Black people but as far as the city proper, that appears to be the case--at least in the core of the city.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Is Atlanta proper actually losing their black population though? Has anyone ran the numbers to see whether the raw number is decreasing or increasing? I know in D.C. proper, people assumed the black population was decreasing, however, D.C. has gained 14,000 black people since 2010 despite the percentage of black people in the total population dropping. When you add 100,000 White, Hispanic, or Asian people and 14,000 Black people, the overall percentage is going to drop, however, that doesn't mean you're losing people.

Is Atlanta proper actually losing black people?
I know that the Black share of Atlanta's population has decreased but I'm not sure about raw numbers.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:16 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It will be decades, if not centuries, for that to happen. The vast majority of every states black population besides maybe Massachusetts and Connecticut is still African American. In fact, I donít ever see that happening in our lifetimes.
Even those 2 states may be questionable/close due to other parts of those states outside of the biggest city/area. Rhode Island may have a case and even then, it is likely close.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:05 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,221,288 times
Quote:
Is Nashville proper gaining black population or losing it over the last 8 years since the census? How about Austin proper? That's a very interesting question for all these cities actually? Which cities are gaining black population and which cities are losing it to the suburbs or other metros since 2010?

I know D.C. proper has gained about 14,000 new net black residents since 2010. How about Atlanta proper or NYC?
During gentrification, some cities have increasing black growth in raw numbers but may have stagnant to declining black percentages. See DC.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 06-11-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,221,288 times
I was scrolling down on Instagram in traffic and saw that clubs in Deep Ellum in Dallas aren’t allowed to play rap music on weekends anymore. I find this quite sad because some of the comments were saying that there aren’t enough black spaces for blacks in Dallas. This is not a shady post, but I hate how we’re still being kicked outta spaces!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM

9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
If you’re ever in DC looking for black owned restaurants:

20 Black owned eateries in DC

Old 06-22-2018, 10:50 PM

1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Quote:
If youíre ever in DC looking for black owned restaurants:

20 Black owned eateries in DC
Going to DC in a few weeks and will try Po Boy . Btw didnít know Ben Chili bowl
Was black owned and Iíve eaten there before smh!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 625,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i have to look up the thread... iirc, someone posted a stat a while back about by the 2030 census the number of south-american, central-american, african, caribbean blacks both immigrate at a faster rate and give birth at a faster rate than african-americans whose lineage are from the united states during the slave trade give birth.
They might have a faster rate but it doesn't equate to larger numbers overall. The Black american population alone is around 20 to 40 times largee than each of those ethnicities individual and probably 10 -12 times larger than them as a collective. Additionally the Black american community is steadily growing as well. Not happening in 2030.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or