U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 05:46 PM

819 posts, read 526,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I agree with this as being an regular American Black. I don't believe in the Term African American for a regular American born black person who's roots have been here for hundreds of years and are a by product of slavery. We are simply Black Americans.. That's like Whites trying to say they are European Americans, they are as mixed up as we are. Not going fly and not understanding where or why the term came about for an American Black person. It's far too confusing really. Most true African immigrants don't even use the term African American but the country in Africa they are from. IMO the standard white and black Americans are far too mixed up and interconnected due to slave history to be reaching back to our previous ancestors lands to claim an identity.. Even in that in doing DNA testing you will probably as I have find you have connections to several African regions, several European regions, Asia, Native Americans, and etc., which will leave you even more confused than before. We are simply American period, like it or not and related in more ways than you know.. I think us as Americans work too hard to separate our selves, that's the problem
The term African American was coined in a poem written by a Black man and if i recall it correctly Jesse Jackson used it in a public forum back in the 60s/70s. My opinion as a Black man on that term is mutual. The heritage of mixed African ethnicities in my DNA so I don't mind it. At the end of the day if you identify as Black, African, Afro, Nubian, or terminology that arrives from the past , present, or future it's still synonymous with your roots back to the atlantic slave trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:13 PM

1,991 posts, read 783,257 times
Step inside the Bronx's first hip hop-themed restaurant

Step inside the Bronx's first hip hop-themed restaurant

Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 PM

12,346 posts, read 17,960,548 times
The BET Awards is considering moving to Houston or Atlanta. Austin is on the list too.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2018/07/...fter-16-years/

Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM

28,861 posts, read 26,178,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The BET Awards is considering moving to Houston or Atlanta. Austin is on the list too.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2018/07/...fter-16-years/
Austin...alrighty then.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM

143 posts, read 39,597 times
Lets see how NYC looks based on the criteria

Nightlife: One of the best nightlife cities in the country for pretty much any race of people including
black people since the city is the Diaspora Capitol of America.

Middle Class/Upper Middle Class neighborhoods: Plenty of Middle Class black communities in Southeast Brooklyn,Southeast Queens and Northern Bronx. Outside of the city limits there also a few in Nassau County and NJ.

Radio Stations: I think we have three (I might be wrong) but nationwide 105.1 and the Breakfast club is the most popular station.

Black Events: Theres way too much black events in NYC and thats a good thing.

HBCU: We have Medgar Evers College which is technically a black college but doesnt fall under the title of an HBCU. York College could be another.

Trends: Black hip hop fashion is literally based of NY innovations. Timberland boots and the Yankee Fitted are the most popular and respect brand of clothes in hip hop and all the black owned brands that were very popular back in the day were mostly from NYC. Till this day a lot of Black folks are found in the fashion industry in NYC and its not just black New Yorkers either.

Black Businesees: Too many of that in NYC. Sadly high rent is messing up a lot of them.

Mayor: in 30 years we only had one black mayor but this question puts NYC in a tough spot compared to other cities like DC, Atlanta and Detroit since all those cities are black cities. Having a black mayor period in a diverse city should be a qualification.

Unemployment Rate: Not sure where NYC ranks on this list but NYC has never been known for being harsh on Black folks when it comes to employment. That is not a REAL issue in NYC.

The big nightmare in NYC is the COST OF LIVING!

Old 09-13-2018, 03:01 PM

12,346 posts, read 17,960,548 times
19 black women are running for judgeships in Houston, which is the largest number ever recorded for an American county (Harris) in history!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
In 2018? It's gonna have to be more than the sheer numbers. NYC's black neighborhoods are being gentrified beyond recognition, and it's being well documented.

Before the 2000s, NYC was no doubt a top tier city.
I disagree with your reasoning on this one. In my opinion any city that draws black people for a positive reason is a top tier city for black people. Black people from all over the country still move to NYC for opportunities. As far as gentrification, its 2018, gentrification is no longer just a NYC phenomenon. Gentrification is hurting black people in every major or popular city in America. Oakland, Boston, Philly, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta etc. Since you like to use statistics and per cap data you should know that percentage wise the city of Atlanta and DC both lost a higher percentage of their black population than New York did. According to Wiki which uses the census as a reference, between 1990 and 2010 Atlanta percentage of black people dropped by more than 15%. DC black percentage dropped by more than 15% as well. NYC black population didn't even drop more than 5% between those years.

2010 1990
51.4% 67.1% Atlanta -15%+
50.7% 65.8% Washington DC -15%+
25.5% 28.7% NYC -3%+

I also disagree that NYC was a top tier city for blacks between the years of 1970 and 2000 and agree with Brooklynjo. NYC was broke and looked like Detroit in the 1970s and was going through a heroin epidemic and since the late 1960s crime was getting worse. NYC in the 1980s through 1995 was going through a crack epidemic and the city was literally unsafe for both black people and Hispanics. If anything black life in NYC didn't start becoming top tier until after 1995.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 2,153,488 times
^ i cant think of a city as being considered a black mecca if its not even mostly black.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ i cant think of a city as being considered a black mecca if its not even mostly black.
That's actually a very poor way to view a black mecca because a lot of MOSTLY black cities are actually unhealthy. I dont consider Baltimore to be more BLACK MECCA than DC or Atlanta because its more "MOSTLY" black. I also do not consider Detroit or St. Louis to be more BLACK MECCA than Chicago because they are both more black than Chicago. Black populations in world class cities will never ever be a majority in their respective city because world class cities tend to be very diverse. There is no world class city in America that has ever had a black population that surpassed 50% of the population.

For example. Chicago probably had the highest percentage of blacks in a world class city and the percentage of black people in Chicago never exceeded 40% or reached 50% for that matter. There is a lot of other reasons why being a majority black city has nothing to do with being a Black Mecca that I can get into.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,190,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I disagree with your reasoning on this one. In my opinion any city that draws black people for a positive reason is a top tier city for black people. Black people from all over the country still move to NYC for opportunities. As far as gentrification, its 2018, gentrification is no longer just a NYC phenomenon. Gentrification is hurting black people in every major or popular city in America. Oakland, Boston, Philly, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta etc. Since you like to use statistics and per cap data you should know that percentage wise the city of Atlanta and DC both lost a higher percentage of their black population than New York did. According to Wiki which uses the census as a reference, between 1990 and 2010 Atlanta percentage of black people dropped by more than 15%. DC black percentage dropped by more than 15% as well. NYC black population didn't even drop more than 5% between those years.

2010 1990
51.4% 67.1% Atlanta -15%+
50.7% 65.8% Washington DC -15%+
25.5% 28.7% NYC -3%+

I also disagree that NYC was a top tier city for blacks between the years of 1970 and 2000 and agree with Brooklynjo. NYC was broke and looked like Detroit in the 1970s and was going through a heroin epidemic and since the late 1960s crime was getting worse. NYC in the 1980s through 1995 was going through a crack epidemic and the city was literally unsafe for both black people and Hispanics. If anything black life in NYC didn't start becoming top tier until after 1995.
Yeah, but since 2010, DC and ATL have been gaining African Americans and NYC has been losing them.

Major City Black Population Stats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or