U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,487 posts, read 3,018,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Wow, according to the recent lists, Washington, DC is the real black mecca.
That's because historically it has been, Atlanta just got hot around the late 90's and early 2000's and has been doing its thing ever since. DC however kind of layed out the blue print, if you will, originally. Thus DC has a further established successful black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:49 AM

27,638 posts, read 24,856,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I tend to think of Houston as a half-tier above Dallas, but they are pretty close.
I don't know too much about either. I know some people, most Nigerian, who think very highly of Houston. Then I know some others who like Dallas. I could see Houston having the edge but I've always thought of both as being more or less on the same level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a decent methodology, but I think the sociocultural category should also be inclusive of a city's history in terms of important developments that have shaped Black American history. Black-oriented special events that draw large crowds should also be considered. I know these things can be very subjective but they should be accounted for somehow.
I think the cultural institutions would capture much of that. But I agree that you could also factor in Black-oriented events and things of that nature. I would still, however, put much more weight on educational attainment since cities with lots of educated Black people are bound to have more cultural things geared towards Blacks anyway.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM

27,796 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's because historically it has been, Atlanta just got hot around the late 90's and early 2000's and has been doing its thing ever since. DC however kind of layed out the blue print, if you will, originally. Thus DC has a further established successful black population.
Very true, although I'd argue that Atlanta started getting hot in the post-war era in the 70's when the reverse migration began taking hold, and historically the AUC institutions in particular have been big draws for Blacks. DC is unique in that it had a sizable Black population since the city was established and was also a recipient of large numbers of Black migrants during the Great Migration. Also, being that Blacks have historically been disproportionately employed by the government, DC has also had an advantage on that front.

538 posts, read 362,441 times
I think NY, DC, Houston, DFW, Miami are attracting too much of a range of people to be singled out as a Black mecca.

However, Atlanta is also picking up on their Asian (especially korean and Indian) and hispanic population so Atlanta is getting to be a everybody Mecca too.

I don't see NY, DC, Houston, DFW, Miami, LA, SF, Boston or Chicago as Chocolate cities.

I see Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, etc as chocolate cities but Atlanta is the only one in the last few decades that has been growing their black population at a super fast pace.

So in my opinion, because it is just catching up in the Asian and Latin category and growing fast in the black category I think it is the reigning Black mecca. All other big cities are disqualified.

Quote:
That's not accurate. Read about the history of Atlanta's Black community.

The federal government and federal contractors are the biggest advantage DC has over every other city. Federal contractors are required, by law, to implement affirmative action plans.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/hiring/affirmativeact.htm

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-27-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 10:59 AM

18,248 posts, read 25,954,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think NY, DC, Houston, DFW, Miami are attracting too much of a range of people to be singled out as a Black mecca.

However, Atlanta is also picking up on their Asian (especially korean and Indian) and hispanic population so Atlanta is getting to be a everybody Mecca too.

I don't see NY, DC, Houston, DFW, Miami, LA, SF, Boston or Chicago as Chocolate cities.

I see Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, etc as chocolate cities but Atlanta is the only one in the last few decades that has been growing their black population at a super fast pace.

So in my opinion, because it is just catching up in the Asian and Latin category and growing fast in the black category I think it is the reigning Black mecca. All other big cities are disqualified.
Which is why magnet is a better term to use than mecca.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:08 AM

27,796 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

The federal government and federal contractors are the biggest advantage DC has over every other city. Federal contractors are required, by law, to implement affirmative action plans.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Hiring - Affirmative Action
Yep; this is why Black folks have historically been disproportionately employed by the government, at all levels.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Which is why magnet is a better term to use than mecca.
Isn't that whole point in calling it a "mecca"? Whether you call it a "magnet" or a "mecca," you're saying the same thing.

Quote:
A black mecca, in the United States, is a city to which African Americans, particularly professionals,[1] are drawn to live, due to some or all of the following factors:

superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
black political power in a city
leading black educational institutions in a city
a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
harmonious black-white race relations in a city
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_mecca

Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,487 posts, read 3,018,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Hiring - Affirmative Action
That vast majority of blacks in high level positions you just posted in which DC leads almost every category, were not federal government contracting positions.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
That vast majority of blacks in high level positions you just posted in which DC leads almost every category, were not federal government contracting positions.
That has nothing to do with whether Atlanta "just got hot in the 90s." You need to read about Maynard Jackson and how he expanded Black political and economic influence in Atlanta during the 1970s. He was every bit as instrumental in expanding the Black middle class in Atlanta as Marion Barry was in DC.

The Reverse Migration cast a brighter spotlight on Atlanta but it wasn't like Black affluence and political clout was something new there (the Reverse Migration has also helped DC but fewer people talk about that since it's not in the Deep South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or