U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 04:16 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't compare Atlanta's nightlife to NYC's because of the very big difference in numbers between the two, so I'm being consistent in my reasoning here. I'm sure you can find any type of scene you want in Houston for Black folks when it comes to nightlife, but again, the sheer difference in the size of the Black population between it and Atlanta makes a difference quantitatively. And I'm just including gay nightlife in overall nightlife, as it is a significant subset. Another one is strip clubs and I'm not sure if Houston has a comparable scene there either.
Have you been out in Houston? I wanna know cause shole know a whole lot about HTown lol.

I know I'm CD, so over exaggeration is just part of the game. A sheer difference is Atlanta and NYC compared to Atlanta and Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not only the size, but also the percentage. The Atlanta MSA is 33.5% Black. The Houston MSA is 17.2% Black. What that means at ground level is that Black people are seemingly everywhere in Atlanta. You don't even have to go to a club. Just go to one of the 115,000 W Hotels that have been built in Atlanta since 2009 and you'll see hordes of Black people. Atlanta has more Black people, has a higher Black % than Houston, and has nearly twice as many Black professionals as Houston. I'm not sure why this is even being argued.
They are everywhere in Houston as well. You don't have to go to the clubs to see them here either. Have you been to Houston?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Not only the size, but also the percentage. The Atlanta MSA is 33.5% Black. The Houston MSA is 17.2% Black. What that means at ground level is that Black people are seemingly everywhere in Atlanta. You don't even have to go to a club. Just go to one of the 115,000 W Hotels that have been built in Atlanta since 2009 and you'll see hordes of Black people. Atlanta has more Black people, has a higher Black % than Houston, and has nearly twice as many Black professionals as Houston. I'm not sure why this is even being argued.
Right. You can find nightlife options for Blacks in most parts of the metro easily, even in the northern 'burbs which don't have as many Blacks as other parts of the metro. That's just how "Black dense" metro Atlanta is LOL.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Have you been out in Houston? I wanna know cause shole know a whole lot about HTown lol.

I know I'm CD, so over exaggeration is just part of the game. A sheer difference is Atlanta and NYC compared to Atlanta and Houston.
I don't claim to be intimately knowledgeable of Houston's Black nightlife scene, just as I don't claim to be intimately knowledgeable of NYC's. But from what I do know, Atlanta doesn't compare to NYC for Black nightlife, and Houston doesn't compare to Atlanta--with the big size differences in their Black populations being the primary reason. That's just instinctive.

The interesting thing is that out of all of the people I know from Houston or who have lived there, either here or in real life, you're the only one who says Houston is on the same level as Atlanta as far as nightlife goes.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I don't claim to be intimately knowledgeable of Houston's Black nightlife scene, just as I don't claim to be intimately knowledgeable of NYC's. But from what I do know, Atlanta doesn't compare to NYC for Black nightlife, and Houston doesn't compare to Atlanta--with the big size differences in their Black populations being the primary reason. That's just instinctive.
See, you can't do that. That's not a good way to compare, especially if you don't know for sure. Houston has nightlife for blacks all over too. Houston and Atlanta are way more comparable than either city is to NYC.

You need to come down.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
The other thing about school district data is that it's harder to make it an apples to apples comparison. For one, school districts are structured differently in different places. How do you compare a school district that covers a few towns to a school district that covers a whole county and nearly 1 million people? Then there's the problem of trying to compare one school to another. I'm not exactly sure how you do that.
True and perhaps do it by HS information or in relation to nearby schools for a community.

Quote:

The interesting thing is that out of all of the people I know from Houston or who have lived there, either here or in real life, you're the only one who says Houston is on the same level as Atlanta as far as nightlife goes.
The people from Atlanta that live here or visit say they are the same thing. lol. I just left Atlanta 2 weeks ago, and it was just another Houston.

Quote:
See, you can't do that. That's not a good way to compare, especially if you don't know for sure. Houston has nightlife for blacks all over too. Houston and Atlanta are way more comparable than either city is to NYC.

You need to come down.
What do you mean "that's not a good way to compare"? LOLOLOL, that's instinctive and makes sense on its face. What's next, you're going to tell me that Houston has just as many Black churches and soul food spots as Atlanta too?

Now if you're speaking qualitatively, since that's more subjective you might have an argument there, along with a couple of other cities.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "that's not a good way to compare"? LOLOLOL, that's instinctive and makes sense on its face. What's next, you're going to tell me that Houston has just as many Black churches and soul food spots as Atlanta too?

Now if you're speaking qualitatively, since that's more subjective you might have an argument there, along with a couple of other cities.
Man, get outta here! Lol.

When are you coming down here?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:32 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
They are everywhere in Houston as well. You don't have to go to the clubs to see them here either. Have you been to Houston?
I don't know Houston well at all. But the numbers speak for themselves. I don't see how you can say this.

Quote:
Also, Houston has greater percentage of blacks than DFW, which is way whiter than Houston. This fact in return, for DFW, makes DFW feel less black as a whole than Houston.
And then argue that Houston is on the same level as Atlanta. Houston is not even as Black as Philadelphia little less Atlanta. So I have a hard time believing that the experience in Houston would be anything close to the experience in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or