U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,237,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good; it's gotta be tough making a go of it alone.
Go to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are several black posters from Houston on this forum that would disagree with you as well. They love Houston and perhaps even prefer it over Atlanta. But they will not say Houston is at the level of DC/Atlanta/NYC.
I'm live in Houston and CD is the only place I here people complain or say Houston lacks in black nightlife.

What people fail to realize is that it wasn't long ago that Houston and Atlanta were neck and neck in black population size. Atlanta's black population didn't boom until the 90s.

The problem is Houston has no hype or media attention like Atlanta. While Atlanta had Freaknik, Houston had Kappa Beach Party. Atlanta has Magic City, Houston has Onyx.

At this point we're simply arguing quantity over quality. Celebrities are ALWAYS here.

It's nothing to see celebrities here. Either you know about Houston or you don't. However, if you only getting your information from the media, then you have no idea what Houston has to offer when it comes to the black experience. Ask anyone who has visited both cities, Atlanta offers more, but Houston does not lack.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I'm live in Houston and CD is the only place I here people complain or say Houston lacks in black nightlife.

What people fail to realize is that it wasn't long ago that Houston and Atlanta were neck and neck in black population size. Atlanta's black population didn't boom until the 90s.

The problem is Houston has no hype or media attention like Atlanta. While Atlanta had Freaknik, Houston had Kappa Beach Party. Atlanta has Magic City, Houston has Onyx.

At this point we're simply arguing quantity over quality. Celebrities are ALWAYS here.

It's nothing to see celebrities here. Either you know about Houston or you don't. However, if you only getting your information from the media, then you have no ide what Houston has to offer when it comes to the black experience. Ask anyone who has visited both cities, Atlanta offers more, but Houston does not lack.
Thanks, man. Let the haters and unbelievers know!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:

It's nothing to see celebrities here. Either you know about Houston or you don't. However, if you only getting your information from the media, then you have no idea what Houston has to offer when it comes to the black experience. Ask anyone who has visited both cities, Atlanta offers more, but Houston does not lack.
Houston has VLive and Dreams too.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston has VLive and Dreams too.
Houston has an underrated nightlife scene. People listen to a few rap songs and watch a few reality shows and think they got it all figured out.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:

I certainly never argued that Houston was lacking in Black nightlife, but as you said, Atlanta offers more. That was the point of contention.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Houston has an underrated nightlife scene. People listen to a few rap songs and watch a few reality shows and think they got it all figured out.
I'm telling you!

Houston was going to get Love and Hip Hop, but the rappers didn't want it.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:09 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,036,369 times
Perhaps the biggest name in hip hop right now, Drake, sure is infatuated with Houston, that's for sure.

"All the Houston References On Drake's Nothing Was the Same"
All the Houston References On Drake's Nothing Was the Same | Houston Press

"Drake Is Cheating on Toronto With Houston"
Drake Is Cheating on Toronto With Houston*|*Giselle Phelps

"Drake’s Houston Appreciation Weekend"
Drake

Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More radio stations: WPFC 1550 AM Radio Station | About Us

KBCE | BANGING HIP HOP AND R & B (owner: Executive Team - Urban Radio Broadcasting) (owns these stations as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Radio_Broadcasting )

Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM

48,220 posts, read 45,519,102 times
I kind of get why the idea of a "Black mecca" is being mentioned. This is something I am thinking about. Couldn't I, as a Black man, go anywhere and succeed, if I'm willing to put in the effort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or