U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 06:40 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston has VLive and Dreams too.
What? lol

Them clubs aint got nothing on Onyx, Magic City on Monday, DOA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I'm live in Houston and CD is the only place I here people complain or say Houston lacks in black nightlife.

What people fail to realize is that it wasn't long ago that Houston and Atlanta were neck and neck in black population size. Atlanta's black population didn't boom until the 90s.

The problem is Houston has no hype or media attention like Atlanta. While Atlanta had Freaknik, Houston had Kappa Beach Party. Atlanta has Magic City, Houston has Onyx.

At this point we're simply arguing quantity over quality. Celebrities are ALWAYS here.

It's nothing to see celebrities here. Either you know about Houston or you don't. However, if you only getting your information from the media, then you have no idea what Houston has to offer when it comes to the black experience. Ask anyone who has visited both cities, Atlanta offers more, but Houston does not lack.

You can't compare Onyx to Magic City. You damn sure can't compare Freaknik to Kappa Beach Party...Come on now. Freaknik birthed all the black events nationwide. Magic City birthed the real strip club experience nationwide

Last edited by afdinatl; 10-05-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Congrats on that in producing her, however DC made Cathy Hughes what she is today.
I don't know if DC made her who she is, as she grew up on Omaha's North Side and I would think her parents and community shaped her.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if DC made her who she is, as she grew up on Omaha's North Side and I would think her parents and community shaped her.
I think the point he was making is that it was DC that launched her career and in all likelihood, she would not have been able to start Radio One in Omaha.

But speaking of notable Black natives of Omaha, there's one even more famous than Cathy Hughes: Malcolm X.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the point he was making is that it was DC that launched her career and in all likelihood, she would not have been able to start Radio One in Omaha.

But speaking of notable Black natives of Omaha, there's one even more famous than Cathy Hughes: Malcolm X.
I get the career aspect, but one is shaped in their earlier years. Her former husband helped in getting Radio One started as well.

There's also Bob Gibson from Omaha as well.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
I get the career aspect, but one is shaped in their earlier years. Her former husband helped in getting Radio One started as well.

There's also Bob Gibson from Omaha as well.
I don't think he meant shaped her as a person, but as a business mogul. DC made that possible because of the opportunities it provides.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
I don't think he meant shaped her as a person, but as a business mogul. DC made that possible because of the opportunities it provides.
Yeah. You could say the same thing about the Harlem Renaissance. People came from everywhere but it was Harlem that allowed the movement to flourish.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM

3,626 posts, read 4,347,621 times
Quote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the 2 major TX areas, Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia are right behind those 3. You have your up and coming areas like Raleigh, Charlotte, Columbus and perhaps a few others(perhaps Indianapolis and Nashville).
I'd agree with that. Probably Los Angeles somewhere in there too for entertainment industry purposes at least.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
What? lol

Them clubs aint got nothing on Onyx, Magic City on Monday, DOA, etc.
Really? OK.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I got that....Prior to Radio One, she was an instructor at Howard. So, it all fell in line.

With the Harlem Renaissance, it was a planned movement that was a way for Black people to express themselves in a way that is outside of the control of the larger culture. So, it was something more powerful than what people may think it was and other cities also had their local versions(5 Points in Denver was called the Harlem of the West/Rockies, as an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or