U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 04:36 AM

11,806 posts, read 9,749,941 times

Advertisements

Chicago was a "black Mecca" long before Atlanta. The South Side along with Harlem were THE destinations for black people during segregation, not only economically but socially and politically. I mean come on...Farrakhan and Elijah Mohammed, Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Harold Washington, Ebony/Jet, etc etc etc. The black middle and upper class are just as influential and refined in Chicago as ànywhere else in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 AM

52,805 posts, read 75,793,114 times
This a good source for looking for such developments/neighborhoods mentioned in the original criteria: USA Location information - USA.com

You can view this information on the census tract and census block level. Examples of info from the site start in the post and then go from there: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,681,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
By these standards, a mecca doesn't exist for any group anywhere in the world.
Perhaps not, but those criteria are more important and relevant than how many hip hop radio stations a city has.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,543,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Perhaps not, but those criteria are more important and relevant than how many hip hop radio stations a city has.

Well I been to plenty of cities that maybe had only one hip hop station. Hell I been to cities that only had a top 40 station and it sucked. Yeah having that as a criteria might be silly to some people but try visiting cities without any music that you can relate to and see how your view on that city changes. Basically having no hip hop station or one station will let people know right then the number of cultural events that city has. I know when Im in a new city the first thing I do is turn on the radio station so I can hear what is going on there and to better understand the vibe of that city. Not having a hip hop radio station automatically cuts me out on what is going on there.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:51 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,443,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Chicago was a "black Mecca" long before Atlanta. The South Side along with Harlem were THE destinations for black people during segregation, not only economically but socially and politically. I mean come on...Farrakhan and Elijah Mohammed, Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Harold Washington, Ebony/Jet, etc etc etc. The black middle and upper class are just as influential and refined in Chicago as ànywhere else in the country.
WAS is the keyword.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM

27,834 posts, read 24,901,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'd have to agree. Black-owned radio stations in general would be a better criterium.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 AM

52,805 posts, read 75,793,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to agree. Black-owned radio stations in general would be a better criterium.
While this site hasn't been kept up in years due to no one buying it, it still lists radio stations that are relevant and shows which ones are Black owned: Darnell's Black Radio Guide, World-Wide Black Radio Stations

So, while it needs to be updated, much of the information is still pretty relevant.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,681,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Well I been to plenty of cities that maybe had only one hip hop station. Hell I been to cities that only had a top 40 station and it sucked. Yeah having that as a criteria might be silly to some people but try visiting cities without any music that you can relate to and see how your view on that city changes. Basically having no hip hop station or one station will let people know right then the number of cultural events that city has. I know when Im in a new city the first thing I do is turn on the radio station so I can hear what is going on there and to better understand the vibe of that city. Not having a hip hop radio station automatically cuts me out on what is going on there.
My point is, what you are talking about are just symptoms - not a cause. If you have a lot of black people in your city, businesses and events will spring up to cater to their needs. It doesn't mean your city is doing particularly well at producing successful black people. I would not expect Des Moines to have several hip hop radio stations. I would expect Memphis to have a couple. Neither is considered a black mecca. With the criteria Lexus spoke of, those would be the cause - a mecca, a utopia even, for blacks to go somewhere to thrive and succeed. All the other jazz, the radio stations, the nicer black owned businesses, the upscale black neighborhoods, etc - all that would come along as a package deal.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,087,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fayetteville and Durham have 20 middle class areas that are 80% Black? What about the event criteria?

Another smaller area I thought about was Augusta GA, but it may miss the mark for a couple of things listed in the criteria.
I say Fayetteville is closer to the mark then Augusta based off living in them both, Neither one have that many events, and Fayetteville middle class areas aren't going to be 80% black it's going to be pretty mixed up, but a pretty good percentage of blacks, with the military you have some of everybody.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,087,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't labeling a city "black mecca" make that city less desirable by most non blacks? I'm not trying to be offensive but even other minorities wouldn't want to live in a so called "black mecca", sorry I'm just trying to keep it real.
Doesn't stop anybody from moving to Atlanta, including all other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or