Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
There will be meccas until the end of the world. A standard is a standard. It's a big difference in a place that is good for a particular group vs being a mecca for that group. There will always be black, white, latino, tech, food, gambling, etc meccas.
For racial groups, as the U.S. transitions to majority-minority and there's more racial integration/intermarriage, that will mean less and less as time goes by. You're swimming against the current here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For racial groups, as the U.S. transitions to majority-minority and there's more racial integration/intermarriage, that will mean less and less as time goes by. You're swimming against the current here.
If you say so....

I think you are confusing "good place to live" vs "mecca"

Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
That's why I made this thread. You have black meccas and places that are good for blacks. Two totally different things. Example....Is Atlanta the Korean or Hispanic mecca? No. Is Atlanta a good place for Koreans and Hispanics? Yes. There is a big difference.
I get that, but you'll have places that are good for Black folks that don't fit half of that criteria. For instance, military metros, regardless of Black percentage, tend to have Black median household incomes above the national figure.

Would a metro like say a metro like the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown NY metro be viewed as a good metro for Black people due to having one of the smallest White-Black per capita gaps out of top 100 metros(3rd), for being one of the most integrated top 100 metros in the country, for having a Black educational attainment in the neighborhood of the Black Meccas, for its proximity to NYC where you can take a train into the city and for having a Black median household income above the national figure? It may fit some of the criteria, but what about being a good area for Black people?

What are some other areas that would be viewed as being good for Black people?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-15-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
There's no black mecca at least today. Atlanta and DC, both, have areas of concentrated poverty. Black wealth doesn't cluster. High income blacks are less likely to live around fellow blacks.

Here's a video of a Youtuber dispelling the myth of Atlanta being a black mecca.
https://youtu.be/r-kVYCJAEM8

Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I get that, but you'll have places that are good for Black folks that don't fit half of that criteria.

I think I have said this several times but you are confusing "good place to live" vs "mecca"...We are talking about "mecca" not "a good place to live"

Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no black mecca at least today. Atlanta and DC, both, have areas of concentrated poverty. Black wealth doesn't cluster. High income blacks are less likely to live around fellow blacks.

Here's a video of a Youtuber dispelling the myth of Atlanta being a black mecca.

That's stupid. That's like saying San Francisco isn't the tech mecca because of all the homeless people. That's like saying LA isn't the A List celebrity mecca because of all the illegals. Not trying to hijack this topic. If you want to bring up other topics do it in another thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
If you say so....

I think you are confusing "good place to live" vs "mecca"
I'm well aware of what the difference is. All I'm saying is that mecca status won't carry the importance it used to going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Black wealth actually does cluster in both Atlanta and DC, but just in various places.

For some reason, everyone thinks of "mecca" in purely economic terms. It includes that concept but goes way beyond that.

Either way, going forward, it won't mean nearly as much as it used to in decades past.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
"the blacks"....yeah, not touching that.

Otherwise, this can't be a serious question.
I wanted to comment on "the blacks" as well but left it alone.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
I think I have said this several times but you are confusing "good place to live" vs "mecca"...We are talking about "mecca" not "a good place to live"
I know, but I'm curious as what would qualify for either category.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware of what the difference is. All I'm saying is that mecca status won't carry the importance it used to going forward.

Black wealth actually does cluster in both Atlanta and DC, but just in various places.

For some reason, everyone thinks of "mecca" in purely economic terms. It includes that concept but goes way beyond that.

Either way, going forward, it won't mean nearly as much as it used to in decades past.
OK. I guess there will be no more shopping meccas (NYC), food meccas (San Fran, NYC, Chicago), no more sports meccas (Boston), college football meccas (Alabama), A List celebrity meccas (LA, NYC) anymore going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City