Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times

Advertisements

So the answers are DC, ATL, and NYC. Maybe Phily. Good job guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Philly and Chicago definitely are black meccas, despite their relative "decline". If NYC is being lauded, so should these two, since NYCs AA population is declining as well. Furthermore, NYC has far more dilution with its AA population relative to the rest of the city. Atlanta doesn't have sizeable populations of Chinese or Jews like NYC does; that city is still fairly black/white in comparison.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Philly and Chicago definitely are black meccas, despite their relative "decline". If NYC is being lauded, so should these two, since NYCs AA population is declining as well. Furthermore, NYC has far more dilution with its AA population relative to the rest of the city. Atlanta doesn't have sizeable populations of Chinese or Jews like NYC does; that city is still fairly black/white in comparison.
still doesn't meet OP's criteria

Quote:
There has to be a standard just like there is a standard that must be met to join the military.
It's pretty serious.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Reread the OP again. This thread isn't about boosting a particular city. It's about the standard set on being labeled a future black mecca. That's it. I just set the standard. Again a standard has to be set because the word has been thrown around a lot lately. Again, Im only setting the standard. Read the original post again.

It's like LA setting the standard on being an A-List celebrity mecca. LA has all the top restaurants, famous neighborhoods, history, etc to make it a celebrity mecca. A new city just can't pop up and say it's an A list celebrity mecca unless it has the same qualities as LA. Again, read the OP again.

Actually Atl can boost about several things but Im sticking with the topic
i'd be more accepting of your standard if you expanded it to include west-indians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Who are these cities gunning for the title? Houston, Chicago, Charlotte, Columbus? I'm just wondering because most of these cities do not meet your requirements. I can't really think of any other cities besides the ones you mentioned (ATL, NYC, DC).
has nyc had a black mayor ? philly has had black mayors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedy23 View Post
- There aren't many cities in the United States that have events greater than or equal to Odunde (40 years strong). The cities that do have events of similar scale probably meet most of the criteria presented by the O.P. for black mecca locations.
boston carnival has been around almost 50 years and it was mentioned in this thread that its a mecca for white people:
www.bostoncarnival.org/

there is a cambridge carnival thats been going on for 25 years and cambridge is even more caucasion.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-15-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
still doesn't meet OP's criteria

It's pretty serious.
OP admitted that not every mecca will meet every standard.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
OP admitted that not every mecca will meet every standard.
We've come up with three places, that were quickly shot down.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Chicago is WAY too segregated and racially divided between blacks and whites to be considered a black mecca. Anytime white Chicagoans see a black person outside of the Southside or Westside, they look at them and treat them like, "Who let you out of the hood?!?" even if they are clearly professional, or a tourist.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't labeling a city "black mecca" make that city less desirable by most non blacks? I'm not trying to be offensive but even other minorities wouldn't want to live in a so called "black mecca", sorry I'm just trying to keep it real.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
We've come up with three places, that were quickly shot down.
These places being? I find it ridiculous to discount Philadelphia and Chicago because they're not presently "magnets", yet NYC gets a pass with a declining AA population. Hell, even Atlanta and DCs AA percentage has declined; whites and Latinos are rapidly moving back into both cities. Our black president is from Chicago for crying out loud!

While the gang violence has gotten bad, it's no worse than the Chocolate City or Capital of the South's were in the 80s and 90s. Everything the OP laid out is found in Philadelphia and Chicago (excepting maybe the HBCU for Chi--not sure). Furthermore, his 20+ threshold for black middle class areas is ridiculously high, so only these five cities could even possibly have that many. This discounts so many other areas just based on size (along with the event threshold numbers).

Old 09-16-2015, 12:53 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
has nyc had a black mayor ? philly has had black mayors.
Uh, David Dinkins?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dinkins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City