Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 06:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
OK I just have to ask. Would you struggle in a place like Seattle, Portland, Austin etc.. with very few AA professionals relative to the city population? I guess this an open question, because I'm in ATL a lot but it seems to me that Southern AA's struggle not being in that particular environment. I really am just wondering.
I would live in Austin because of its proximity to Houston. The other two are too far removed from the South and blacker metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Sorry, I live here. To each his own though!
You living in Houston has no bearing on facts though, LOL. You can thoroughly enjoy Houston as a Black person without Houston being on the same level as DC and Atlanta for all things Black; those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying tho. NYC has options. Places like ATL do not. I mean, hispanics and Asians are basically thrown out on Buford Highway. I know that is really general. Your basically hanging around your own kind 85% of the time outside of work. Again, that is part of the reason ATL and DC are so great for AA's but damn man I need variety. I guess I'm ranting again.
You need to explore Atlanta more. Gwinnett County has had one of the highest growth in the Asian population in the country. Mexicans are all over in Atlanta from Gwinnett to Sandy Springs to Marietta to the west and southside. I think Gwinnett is one of the most diverse counties in the south. You can go to certain areas that are so diverse that you wouldnt even think you were in metro Atlanta.

Like I said the only reason blacks mix more in LA is because blacks are spread out generally speaking so they are forced to mingle with everyone because nothing is catered to them.

You asked how would someone from here adapt to Seattle or Portland. I have lived in 6 cities and I have lived overseas. People can adjust to different environments. Im sure a Mexican can adjust to living in Minot, ND. Im sure an asian can adjust to living in Bmore. With that being said most people here are just used to see certain things here. For example going to the doctor its normal for me to go to doctors office and everyone is black to include the doctors. The same with the dentist. Hell my dentist play the local hip hop radio station V-103 while I was getting my teeth cleaned lol Etc. Im used to going to upscale restaurants and seeing well dressed blacks there. Im used to being able to go out to venues with music that I like and having several options on where to go to and see an entire venue of our people well dressed and having fun. We are used to going to subdivisions with 3000 square feet homes that are all owned by black professionals. I think its just depends on what you are accustomed to. I meet people all the time, grown people that are shocked that Atlanta and DC has so many professional blacks but its sad to me that they are shocked by this. I meet people from California here all the time and they say " I cant believe this many black people can get together without nothing popping off because something would pop off at home" Nothing is wrong with liking to be around your own culture. Other races to it all the time and its ok

Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From any objective stat you can find (population, population growth, rates of educational attainment, rates of business ownership, political leadership, etc.) to more subjective things (music, media, history, etc.), Houston is clearly a step below Atlanta and DC, but still relatively high, in terms of all things Black. I mean before Houston elected its first (and so far, only) Black mayor in the late 90's, it was the largest city in the nation to have never done so. By that time, Atlanta had already had six straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, DC had four straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, and both have had an African American mayor since. Atlanta and DC are home to the top-ranked and most notable HBCUs, and both have a more impactful history that pertains to African Americans in particular. Houston is no slouch and is up there, but by most standards, it's not quite in the Atlanta/DC category.
Agreed. Houston is not up there with Atlanta/DC/NYC. It's in that second tier with Chicago and Philadelphia and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Agreed. Houston is not up there with Atlanta/DC/NYC. It's in that second tier with Chicago and Philadelphia and there's nothing wrong with that.
Precisely. It's highly diverse and has a very solid Black cultural infrastructure; that's a powerful punch. There's no need to inflate its assets because what it has is more than sufficient.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
Tell a man with no hands that the worst major city in the nation in income inequality is also " The Black Mecca " and he'll slap the living crap out of you.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Y'all have your opinions.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You need to explore Atlanta more. Gwinnett County has had one of the highest growth in the Asian population in the country. Mexicans are all over in Atlanta from Gwinnett to Sandy Springs to Marietta to the west and southside. I think Gwinnett is one of the most diverse counties in the south. You can go to certain areas that are so diverse that you wouldnt even think you were in metro Atlanta.

Like I said the only reason blacks mix more in LA is because blacks are spread out generally speaking so they are forced to mingle with everyone because nothing is catered to them.

You asked how would someone from here adapt to Seattle or Portland. I have lived in 6 cities and I have lived overseas. People can adjust to different environments. Im sure a Mexican can adjust to living in Minot, ND. Im sure an asian can adjust to living in Bmore. With that being said most people here are just used to see certain things here. For example going to the doctor its normal for me to go to doctors office and everyone is black to include the doctors. The same with the dentist. Hell my dentist play the local hip hop radio station V-103 while I was getting my teeth cleaned lol Etc. Im used to going to upscale restaurants and seeing well dressed blacks there. Im used to being able to go out to venues with music that I like and having several options on where to go to and see an entire venue of our people well dressed and having fun. We are used to going to subdivisions with 3000 square feet homes that are all owned by black professionals. I think its just depends on what you are accustomed to. I meet people all the time, grown people that are shocked that Atlanta and DC has so many professional blacks but its sad to me that they are shocked by this. I meet people from California here all the time and they say " I cant believe this many black people can get together without nothing popping off because something would pop off at home" Nothing is wrong with liking to be around your own culture. Other races to it all the time and its ok
Both exaggerations:

I don't really want to touch your first point because those demographics have nothing to do with what I said or social mixing between races.

Your 2nd point is misguided which is ironic since you asked me to explore ATL more. LA races mix mostly because people don't really care who you are or where you came from generally. Not because places don't "cater" to AA's. They don't cater to white people, or Hispanics, or Asians generally. They cater to whomever like hip-hop, EDM, Indie etc. They cater to whomever likes whatever your interest is. It just happens to be that more than Black people like those things as well.

2nd paragraph I agree with. For the most part.

Last edited by jamills21; 09-17-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
Quote:
Both exaggerations:

I don't really want to touch your first point because those demographics have nothing to do with what I said or social mixing between races.

Your 2nd point is misguided which is ironic since you asked me to explore ATL more. LA races mix mostly because people don't really care who you are or where you came from generally. Not because places don't "cater" to AA's. They don't cater to white people, or Hispanics, or Asians generally. They cater to whomever like hip-hop, EDM, Indie etc. They cater to whomever likes whatever your interest is. It just happens to be that more than Black people like those things as well.

2nd paragraph I agree with. For the most part.
We will have to agree to disagree.

So what is the hottest club in LA on Friday or Saturday night for all hip hop music with professional people with a dress code? Just name one club for each night, the hottest club? (I have a reason im asking you this )

Btw races mix all the time here. It just becomes more segregated at night for nightlife and at church. Different races have need different elements to have fun at night and what works for one group of people generally might not work for another group. Also people can go where they want to here. Its not like the security at the door is saying "your mexican you cant come here" but I know in cities like Miami and LA that they discriminate against people all the time. Instead of saying "we dont want you here" they say "our guest list is filled or our guest list is filled but you can come in if you want bottle service and that will be $1500. Can i have your credit card please" knowing you arent going to do it.

Last edited by afdinatl; 09-18-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Y'all have your opinions.
Except it's really not an opinion; there are objective facts here to consider that you'd rather dismiss under the guise of opinion. It just doesn't work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City