Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You need to explore Atlanta more. Gwinnett County has had one of the highest growth in the Asian population in the country. Mexicans are all over in Atlanta from Gwinnett to Sandy Springs to Marietta to the west and southside. I think Gwinnett is one of the most diverse counties in the south. You can go to certain areas that are so diverse that you wouldnt even think you were in metro Atlanta.

Like I said the only reason blacks mix more in LA is because blacks are spread out generally speaking so they are forced to mingle with everyone because nothing is catered to them.

You asked how would someone from here adapt to Seattle or Portland. I have lived in 6 cities and I have lived overseas. People can adjust to different environments. Im sure a Mexican can adjust to living in Minot, ND. Im sure an asian can adjust to living in Bmore. With that being said most people here are just used to see certain things here. For example going to the doctor its normal for me to go to doctors office and everyone is black to include the doctors. The same with the dentist. Hell my dentist play the local hip hop radio station V-103 while I was getting my teeth cleaned lol Etc. Im used to going to upscale restaurants and seeing well dressed blacks there. Im used to being able to go out to venues with music that I like and having several options on where to go to and see an entire venue of our people well dressed and having fun. We are used to going to subdivisions with 3000 square feet homes that are all owned by black professionals. I think its just depends on what you are accustomed to. I meet people all the time, grown people that are shocked that Atlanta and DC has so many professional blacks but its sad to me that they are shocked by this. I meet people from California here all the time and they say " I cant believe this many black people can get together without nothing popping off because something would pop off at home" Nothing is wrong with liking to be around your own culture. Other races to it all the time and its ok
Those Black people from CA must not have lived in Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills or Baldwin Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,734,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Y'all have your opinions.
They are right though.
It's not opinion, it's fact.
Houston had long been a black stronghold, but not as Strong as ATL, DC or even Detroit, Philly or Chicago.

It attracts a lot of blacks, but also a lot of Asians and more Latinos than blacks.

Houston is an everybody Mecca. I think that in terms of attracting new blacks Houston would be above most large cities but still below ATL and DC and probably new york, and Miami, and even DFW.

Great place for BLacks, but I wouldn't say it is as clear cut as DC and ATL. What I would say is that Houstons black culture is disproportionately larger than its share of the population. It is so much so that I would place it on the level of more historically black cities like Chicago, Philly and Detroit, but below ATL and DC. I would also place it on a higher level than DFW for the same reason. Both have similar black populations but Houston has a stronger black culture and identity

Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,522,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Agreed. Houston is not up there with Atlanta/DC/NYC. It's in that second tier with Chicago and Philadelphia and there's nothing wrong with that.
for some reason i dont see nyc as being a mostly black city although consensus on this thread seems to disagree.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
for some reason i dont see nyc as being a mostly black city although consensus on this thread seems to disagree.
That isn't what people are saying.....

Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Nobody is saying it's a mostly Black city. Where are you getting that from?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
We will have to agree to disagree.

So what is the hottest club in LA on Friday or Saturday night for all hip hop music with professional people with a dress code? Just name one club for each night, the hottest club? (I have a reason im asking you this )

Btw races mix all the time here. It just becomes more segregated at night for nightlife and at church. Different races have need different elements to have fun at night and what works for one group of people generally might not work for another group. Also people can go where they want to here. Its not like the security at the door is saying "your mexican you cant come here" but I know in cities like Miami and LA that they discriminate against people all the time. Instead of saying "we dont want you here" they say "our guest list is filled or our guest list is filled but you can come in if you want bottle service and that will be $1500. Can i have your credit card please" knowing you arent going to do it.
Lets turn it around, what is the hottest club for Asians or Hispanics in ATL? That caters to Asian or Hispanic professionals?I could not name you one in LA, because there is none. It wouldn't be any different for AA's. That the point your missing. LA caters to Professionals, black/white/asian/hispanic people in the entertainment industry, lawyers, doctors, etc... of all races go to the same spots. We don't need to cater to exclusive anybody.

But if your asking me what the hottest club is, truthfully I don't club so I couldn't tell you. I know the names of the clubs, don't know who hangs out there. Can't stand it. But if you want to know the black comedy clubs, restaurants, art galleries...etc than that would be a different story.
So saying something like, LA doesn't cater to Blacks at all even though we get 20,000 people for Taste of Soul and BET experience, and some of the biggest Hip Hop festivels and acts, and clothing collectives, blah blah blah is really misguided. Especially if you want to keep bringing up clubs like it is as part of the life in LA as it is in ATL. Its just a different mentality different culture.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:19 AM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Lets turn it around, what is the hottest club for Asians or Hispanics in ATL?
You are back to talking about clubs. Yesterday you asked why we kept talking about clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Very Slim. No Question. But are we just going to talk about clubs?
It really doesn't make sense to compare the Atlanta and L.A. nightlife scene because the demographics are so different. Black people in L.A. make up such a small percentage of the overall population that even hip hop clubs there are likely to have a lot of non-Black people.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:25 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,974,525 times
[quote=BajanYankee;41245734][b]You are back to talking about clubs. Yesterday you asked why we kept talking about clubs.

Because he asked me directly about it. So I responded.

Quote:
Quote:
It really doesn't make sense to compare the Atlanta and L.A. nightlife scene because the demographics are so different. Black people in L.A. make up such a small percentage of the overall population that even hip hop clubs there are likely to have a lot of non-Black people.[
/QUOTE]

Oh no, I don't want to compare that at all really. I already know ATL dominates in that. I was more annoyed at the assertion that all of sudden ATL has a growing asian & hispanic population so its all of a sudden mixed? And LA all of sudden has nothing catering towards black anything?

I feel like I've taken this way off course so my bad. Ya'll can continue to talk about why Houston, Philly, CHI, is/is not "black mecca".

Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So are there any Black-owned coffee shops in any of these "meccas"?
So no Black-owned coffee shops?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Blacks with Bachelor's Degree or Higher by Zip Code

Chicago (Bronzeville, Kenwood, Hyde Park):

60615 (6,422) (2.2 sq. mi.)
60653 (4,283) (2.3 sq. mi.)

Total: 10,705 (30.0%)(4.5 sq. mi.)

Los Angeles (Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park)

90008 (4,764) (3.7 sq. mi.)
90056 (2,626) (1.6 sq. mi.)

Total: 7,390 (34.4%)(5.3 sq. mi.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City