Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 04:57 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Can you pick up any Atlanta stations from Macon?
I dont think so. Last time I checked, V103 signal is distorted a bit until we get about 20-25 miles north of here in Forsyth, GA (Monroe County). The others dont even pick up at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thanks. It's actually a bit sad in a way. Black people make up as much as 30% of the population in some of these metros but only 1-1.5% of the physicians, chemists, software designers, etc. We've got work to do.

I would have expected the Bay Area to have many more Blacks in tech. But I've heard it's very rough out there for young Black people in that field.
Agreed on both points. As to your first point, it's often the case that Blacks moving to these cities are educated and skilled but it's the resident Black population that's largely not. Also, many educated Blacks have careers geared towards the "helping" industries--teachers, social services, religious vocations, etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:14 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Is there any information that is more recent in regards to business information? I noticed that the information on the Quick Facts website is from 2007.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Indeed. We have four..
95.7 JAMZ (Rap and Hip Hop)
92.9 TUG (Old school and R&B)
98.7 KISS (Old school and R&B)
107.7 HOT (Rap/Hip Hop & R&B)

The took 102.1 away (also Hip-Hop and R&B) and replaced it with an easy listening channel just a couple of years ago.
There's another too; it's entitled "The Beat."

Old 09-27-2015, 12:22 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Wow, according to the recent lists, Washington, DC is the real black mecca.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Again, being a mecca goes beyond metrics related to economics and such. Of course that's part of it but not the only thing to consider. If you're only considering the recent statistics, then you'd have to say that Dallas is a little more of a Black mecca than Houston is, but that would obviously be ignoring other important factors.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 AM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Again, being a mecca goes beyond metrics related to economics and such. Of course that's part of it but not the only thing to consider. If you're only considering the recent statistics, then you'd have to say that Dallas is a little more of a Black mecca than Houston is, but that would obviously be ignoring other important factors.
Dallas and Houston are virtually neck and neck.

It would be great to have a report on this that was more similar to the A.T. Kearney Global Cities report. We would just need to decide on a methodology.

http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/sit...cardReport.pdf

I suggest three main categories for evaluation: economic, political and sociocultural. Let's say cities are ranked in each category on a 100 point scale. Then three categories are averaged. Maybe even a weighted average.

"Economic" may be the easiest in some ways. Median income/wages would be one factor though this needs to be normalized to account for disparities in cost of living. I'd say this should account for 15% of the score in this category. The % of Blacks living in poverty should also be considered, accounting for maybe 10% of the score. I place the most weight on the size of a city's Black professional class relative to the Black workforce. In other words, I think a city whose Black population skews more towards creative class professions (i.e., scientists, writers, etc.) should be rewarded more than a city whose Black population skews more towards retail and lower service class positions. Let's say this accounts for 55% of the score in this category. The remaining 20% could relate to the number of Black-owned companies (which we can get from Black Enterprise).

"Political" is a bit trickier, imo. Here's what I suggest. First, does the metro have a majority Black Congressional district? Second, does the metro have a sitting Black member of Congress? Third, is the sitting mayor Black? Fourth, how many leadership positions are held by African Americans on city council, school board, state assembly, police department, etc? I'm not sure how I'd divide the points but having a Black congressional district would account for a very large bulk of it. Perhaps 20 points. There are some places like the East Bay that don't have a majority Black district but have Black representation in Congress (Barbara Lee). Maybe another 10 points for that. The remaining 70 points should be allocated based on representation in state and local government.

"Sociocultural" is the trickiest of the three. For starters, how many people have attained a Bachelor's degree or better? Then perhaps see how geographically concentrated these people are. I think this should account for a whopping 70% of the score in this category (simply because it's the most objective). HBCU presence should be about 20% of the score with the scores adjusted based on the ranking of these institutions. The remaining 10% could be based on the presence of cultural institutions (Alvin Ailey, Freedom Theater, etc.). That seems harder to judge.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 AM

Black or African American Below Poverty Level by Metro Area

New York - 697,390 (20.8%)
Chicago - 457,136 (29.1%)
Atlanta - 398,898 (22.0%)
Philadelphia - 315,106 (25.8%)
Miami - 314,797 (25.3%)
Detroit - 297,067 (31.4%)
Dallas - 233,164 (22.5%)
Houston - 221,743 (20.3%)
Los Angeles - 209,128 (24.3%)
Washington - 206,088 (13.8%)
Bay Area - 85,934 (22.3%)
Boston - 75,013 (21.5%)

Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It's hard to make an argument against it based on any objective considerations.

-Highest Black household income
-Highest % of AAs with college degrees
-2nd largest Black creative class behind NYC (highest by %)
-Most "top" Black-owned companies according to Black Enterprise
-Howard University
-Lowest Black poverty % among the "meccas"
-Black political leadership (Muriel Bowser, Donna Edwards, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ike Leggett, etc)

Things like nightlife and "vibe" are too subjective. History isn't so subjective but it's not like DC loses out to Houston or Atlanta in that either.

The thing about DC is that the Black-White disparities are smaller there (though still quite large). The creative class is not only larger than it is in other cities, aside from NYC, but Blacks make up a larger % of the overall creative class than they do in other metros. A young white professional is more likely to encounter a person of color in his or her field in DC than they are in any other metro in the U.S.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Dallas and Houston are virtually neck and neck.
I tend to think of Houston as a half-tier above Dallas, but they are pretty close.

Quote:
It would be great to have a report on this that was more similar to the A.T. Kearney Global Cities report. We would just need to decide on a methodology.

http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/sit...cardReport.pdf

I suggest three main categories for evaluation: economic, political and sociocultural. Let's say cities are ranked in each category on a 100 point scale. Then three categories are averaged. Maybe even a weighted average.

"Economic" may be the easiest in some ways. Median income/wages would be one factor though this needs to be normalized to account for disparities in cost of living. I'd say this should account for 15% of the score in this category. The % of Blacks living in poverty should also be considered, accounting for maybe 10% of the score. I place the most weight on the size of a city's Black professional class relative to the Black workforce. In other words, I think a city whose Black population skews more towards creative class professions (i.e., scientists, writers, etc.) should be rewarded more than a city whose Black population skews more towards retail and lower service class positions. Let's say this accounts for 55% of the score in this category. The remaining 20% could relate to the number of Black-owned companies (which we can get from Black Enterprise).

"Political" is a bit trickier, imo. Here's what I suggest. First, does the metro have a majority Black Congressional district? Second, does the metro have a sitting Black member of Congress? Third, is the sitting mayor Black? Fourth, how many leadership positions are held by African Americans on city council, school board, state assembly, police department, etc? I'm not sure how I'd divide the points but having a Black congressional district would account for a very large bulk of it. Perhaps 20 points. There are some places like the East Bay that don't have a majority Black district but have Black representation in Congress (Barbara Lee). Maybe another 10 points for that. The remaining 70 points should be allocated based on representation in state and local government.

"Sociocultural" is the trickiest of the three. For starters, how many people have attained a Bachelor's degree or better? Then perhaps see how geographically concentrated these people are. I think this should account for a whopping 70% of the score in this category (simply because it's the most objective). HBCU presence should be about 20% of the score with the scores adjusted based on the ranking of these institutions. The remaining 10% could be based on the presence of cultural institutions (Alvin Ailey, Freedom Theater, etc.). That seems harder to judge.
That's a decent methodology, but I think the sociocultural category should also be inclusive of a city's history in terms of important developments that have shaped Black American history. Black-oriented special events that draw large crowds should also be considered. I know these things can be very subjective but they should be accounted for somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City