Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Free was easy on the eyes. If I was flipping channels, I'd at least watch 106 & Park until they went to the video or commercial break.

After the Viacom takeover, BET cut back its news programming, dropped Teen Summit, introduced BET Uncut and ramped up the ignorance even more with College Hill. A lot of people were done with BET even before the Viacom takeover but it became nearly impossible for any self-respecting Black person to admit they watched BET after 2001 or so.
Yeah. Don't forget "Cita" who was one of the most offensive things BET ever aired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And while I wish the news component would return, I think the network has definitely improved in the past five years or so in terms of programming.
I really liked the Game. Hollywood Husbands is okay, I guess. Everything else is cheesy trash.

I miss Jam Zone, Uncut, Midnight Love, Hits from the Street, and the old 106.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rosedale Park/North Rosedale Park are pretty good, considering the COL of the area and median incomes at the state, city, metro and national levels: Census Tract 543000 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542900 in Wayne County, Michigan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosedale_Park,_Detroit
Rosedale Park Improvement Association - Home
North Rosedale Park Civic Association
North Rosedale Park - My Grandmont Rosedale
Rosedale Park - My Grandmont Rosedale

From what I saw, Hyde Park had 2 predominately Black census tracts, with one that is above the national figure and around the state figure for median HH income and the other was below the national figure, let alone the state and metro figures: Census Tract 836300 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 410500 in Cook County, Illinois

Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce - Chicago
Chicago Hyde Park Real Estate | listings, restaurants, shopping, maps, and more
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Chicago
Hyde Park - Explore Hyde Park

However, from what I saw, there are a few census tracts in the Beverly(Hills)/Morgan Park area on the Southwest Side of Chicago that have median HH incomes above pretty much every major level: Census Tract 720700 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 750200 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 720200 in Cook County, Illinois

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Park,_Chicago
BAPA - About Beverly Hills/Morgan Park
Some areas Philly on the census block group level: Census Block Group 026600-7 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Block Group 011800-1 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Block Group 030502-3 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Census Block Group 023600-2 in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania

Some for Boston on the same level: Census Block Group 100900-5 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 101001-3 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 101001-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 140300-5 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 140300-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 140300-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 100400-3 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Didn't find any predominately Black census tracts with a median HH income above the state figure in Boston, but some census block groups fit that were in lower middle class census tracts that were predominately Black.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That isn't the flip side of anything. That's one woman's opinion based off of her own isolated experience.

There are more blacks moving from Georgia to Texas than there are those going in the opposite direction.

lol....FYI, people here don't dream about moving to TX. They move there because TX has more jobs and the COL is the same and that's it.

Thing is most people who live in Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will move to these southern cities because these are the only large cities that are mostly cheap in the south. The average black person isn't really trying to leave the south long term wise so people will bounce around these cities. People in say Atlanta would consider those other cities because the COL is generally the same but lets not act like they are moving to those cities because those cities are better for blacks. The average middle class family from here generally speaking isn't trying to move to DC-NY. They damn sure don't want to move to the Midwest and California. Maybe LA but generally they rule out LA because of the COL. The only place left is Charlotte, Dallas and Houston. Charlotte is just 3 hours away so even though both cities are different to get a completely different surroundings they will go to TX. The same as with someone living in TX for their entire life. If you grew up in say Dallas the average black person option is to go to LA, stay in TX or go to Atlanta, generally speaking. They might try California for a few years but generally they are going to leave because of the COL so the only other option is Atlanta or Charlotte. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte are similar to LA, San Fran, Portland and Seattle, or NYC, Philly, Bmore and DC meaning people want to move but they want to stay within their region and these are the options they have for their region.

Atlanta offers more than probably all 3 cities combined. People move all the time. Lets not act like people are moving to TX because its better. The only reason why someone in GA will consider TX is because they have ruled out Charlotte and TX is the only option left. The same as with people in TX. If a TX native from Dallas or Houston wants to leave TX the only option they have is Atlanta if they want to stay in a city that's about the same size as they are used to and has the same COL

Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah. Don't forget "Cita" who was one of the most offensive things BET ever aired.
Whoa. Y'all are taking me on a trip down Ignorance Lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLBNguj28dU

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Yeah, Cita set us back about a decade.

Quote:
How awful is she? it’s like BET took EVERY SINGLE bad stereotype about Black women, exaggerated it by 15 levels and created this character to spite us all.

“MISS CITA, BABBAYYY!!!” She then threatens to smack anyone who is just tuning in, and she spends the whole time doing the “Shoop” hip swerve back and forth. As if she can’t TRULY make a point without using her hips as some sort of exclamation point.

Cita is like what white folks would think Black women are like if they’ve NEVER encountered any Black women EVER. And the fact that two Black men came up with her is just a mess. Also, she was truly the beginning of BET’s descent into Den of Iniquity status.
BET Still Owes Us an Apology for Cita's World | Awesomely Luvvie

Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Has anyone mentioned Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills California as Black Meecas yet?? I believe they have high incomes and high home ownership rates there.
Yes, they mentioned in regards to the census tract/median household income criteria in regards to Los Angeles earlier in the thread.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL, I actually liked Cita's ratchet a$$ for what it was.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:

Atlanta offers more than probably all 3 cities combined
I agree with your post except this. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas offers about the same amount of things generally.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:30 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
lol....FYI, people here don't dream about moving to TX. They move there because TX has more jobs and the COL is the same and that's it.

Thing is most people who live in Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will move to these southern cities because these are the only large cities that are mostly cheap in the south. The average black person isn't really trying to leave the south long term wise so people will bounce around these cities. People in say Atlanta would consider those other cities because the COL is generally the same but lets not act like they are moving to those cities because those cities are better for blacks. The average middle class family from here generally speaking isn't trying to move to DC-NY. They damn sure don't want to move to the Midwest and California. Maybe LA but generally they rule out LA because of the COL. The only place left is Charlotte, Dallas and Houston. Charlotte is just 3 hours away so even though both cities are different to get a completely different surroundings they will go to TX. The same as with someone living in TX for their entire life. If you grew up in say Dallas the average black person option is to go to LA, stay in TX or go to Atlanta, generally speaking. They might try California for a few years but generally they are going to leave because of the COL so the only other option is Atlanta or Charlotte. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte are similar to LA, San Fran, Portland and Seattle, or NYC, Philly, Bmore and DC meaning people want to move but they want to stay within their region and these are the options they have for their region.

Atlanta offers more than probably all 3 cities combined. People move all the time. Lets not act like people are moving to TX because its better. The only reason why someone in GA will consider TX is because they have ruled out Charlotte and TX is the only option left. The same as with people in TX. If a TX native from Dallas or Houston wants to leave TX the only option they have is Atlanta if they want to stay in a city that's about the same size as they are used to and has the same COL
Man, what are you talking about? Oh my God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City