Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I'm not dodging the question. I just see where this is going and I try to avoid the whole arguing back and forth for posts on end thing, when I can help it. So as I said, I'll just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.
I had no intention of starting an argument, but suit yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
People forget about the northern suburbs and areas as well. I prefer the northern areas to the southern and Galveston County areas.
Yes, Waller county is over 35% black. Spring & Humble are over 20% black as well. Acres Homes and that area near the Beltway and 59 N as well (they have alot of black folk that live around that area).

Peter pointed out something that a lot of folks get confused with is the SW side of Houston (SWAT and 59 South/Beltway). That area is suburbs gone horribly wrong IMO, most (not all) of the folks who live there are not from Houston (or Texas for that matter) but are taking advantage of the cheap rent from the old apartment complexes. I don't really care for the area too much BUT people seem to enjoy living there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Dallas has a respectable Black middle class presence on the north side, as well.

As much as I admire the Best Southwest area for being what it is, I couldn't see myself living down there. It's just far too suburban and family-oriented. I'd rather build a home in South Dallas proper.
Yes, Dallas does have areas to the north, but its still is not on the level of Houston IMO. Dallas does not have area on the North with high concentrations of blacks like Spring, Humble, Cleveland (30% AA), Crosby (20% AA)

Your also right, its too far away from every thing. I was JUST in Dallas this weekend, I have family that lives in Lancaster, which was too far away from the core, but I still had a good time at the State Fair.

Quote:
Is it on the scale of Houston's?
Nope.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
My personal experience is that Dallas is more of a destination for southern blacks overall.
You're the only one that's said that.

Houston does have more of a southern appeal to it than Dallas, thus I can see why Houston would appeal more to southern blacks.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
I hate that Dallas isn't getting the same spotlight like Houston is getting; the black media, for the most part, is on Houston's side more so than Dallas'.
When people make this claim, it's always funny to me, because speaking generally and not just in terms of Black people, of the two cities, Dallas is the city that has for years gotten all the national spotlight and media attention while Houston is ignored.

I guess I just don't care to think in terms of "which city is better for BLACK people" when I see a city like Dallas that is great all around these days for ALL people who are looking for the opportunities that it offers; In that regard, being Black never comes into the equation in my mind because I'm too busy enjoying all that the city has to offer and all of its opportunities.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Yes, Waller county is over 35% black. Spring & Humble are over 20% black as well. Acres Homes and that area near the Beltway and 59 N as well (they have alot of black folk that live around that area).

Peter pointed out something that a lot of folks get confused with is the SW side of Houston (SWAT and 59 South/Beltway). That area is suburbs gone horribly wrong IMO, most (not all) of the folks who live there are not from Houston (or Texas for that matter) but are taking advantage of the cheap rent from the old apartment complexes. I don't really care for the area too much BUT people seem to enjoy living there...

Yes, Dallas does have areas to the north, but its still is not on the level of Houston IMO. Dallas does not have area on the North with high concentrations of blacks like Spring, Humble, Cleveland (30% AA), Crosby (20% AA)

Your also right, its too far away from every thing. I was JUST in Dallas this weekend, I have family that lives in Lancaster, which was too far away from the core, but I still had a good time at the State Fair.

Nope.
Don't forget about the areas between Katy and Cypress and along Highway 6/West Little York.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
You're the only one that's said that.

Houston does have more of a southern appeal to it than Dallas, thus I can see why Houston would appeal more to southern blacks.
Yeah, Dallas doesn't even feel as Southern as Houston does, so I don't know know why one would think that. Houston is generally regarded as the most Southern "big" city in Texas.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Not an exclusively Black thing, actually far from it, but Malcolm X Park in DC is a fun place to be on Sunday afternoons. Definitely attracts more of the eccentric crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkAYGHdMNk

Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
When people make this claim, it's always funny to me, because speaking generally and not just in terms of Black people, of the two cities, Dallas is the city that has for years gotten all the national spotlight and media attention while Houston is ignored.

I guess I just don't care to think in terms of "which city is better for BLACK people" when I see a city like Dallas that is great all around these days for ALL people who are looking for the opportunities that it offers; In that regard, being Black never comes into the equation in my mind because I'm too busy enjoying all that the city has to offer and all of its opportunities.
Well, I apologize if this offended you. I mean, that same tired old article (Blacks Wary of Dallas) and that YouTube video are types of bad press that Houston doesn't get compared to Dallas. When a black person doesn't like Dallas, folks recommend Houston.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:58 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I'm living in Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, and whatever area over Cleveland, Waller County, and the likes. Sorry.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Dallas doesn't even feel as Southern as Houston does, so I don't know know why one would think that. Houston is generally regarded as the most Southern "big" city in Texas.
True. Houston even looks southern and sounds way more southern. Houston might as well be in Louisiana. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City