Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm. It looks like Atlanta has something called the "Greenhouse" that's similar to the Soul Summit in Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXeFfx0O9s
I don't like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Lets see then. Prove me wrong if I'm wrong. My answers for Atlanta are in red.

- Name as least one concert venue in any of those cities that had over 15 homegrown R&B/soul/jazz concerts this year? Not talking about national tours or regional tours. Homegrown meaning these concerts are only in said city.

Wolf Creek Amphitheater had around 18 R&B/soul/jazz concerts this season.
PAST EVENTS - http://wolfcreekamphitheater.com/

- If I wanted to go out on a Monday night what options would I have in those cities that are jammed packed on Monday night?

Tongue and Groove
Soho Lounge
Magic City

- How many options does a professional black person have if they want to be around other black professionals on Friday night that isn't ghetto?

M BAR, Sweet Auburn Seafood, BQE Lounge, Do at the View, Kats Café, Gold Room, Bottle Bar Midtown, Boogalou, Scales 925, Rose Bar, Negril Village, Prive, etc. (I could name more but I will just keep this list)

- What huge events or a combination of events on a particular weekend brought in at least 70k blacks to any of those city from Sept to Oct of this year?

Neighborhood Awards -100k blacks (First week in Aug)
Hair Show - 70k+ blacks (2nd week in Aug)
House in the park, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Festival, Wolf Creek concerts on labor day weekend (75k+)
BET Hip Hop Awards + A3C Music Festival (70k) (This weekend)

- What underground/art/soul/underground hip hop venues can I go to that cater to the artsy/soul music crowd? Say that I'm looking for a venue that plays maybe house music or soul music or some underground/classic hip hop?

Studio 7
The Music Room
Edgewood Speakeasy
El Bar
MJQ

Now don't throw out any BS because I will Google search it to make sure its correct.
I've answered most, if not all of these questions based on Houston. Will you please stop making the criteria based on Atlanta? You're trynna make this an unfair comparison.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Charged Up DC Festival | Storey Park (DC) |

Charged Up DC Festival

Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015

Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
So looking at the Black "creative" communities in these cities (artists, musicians, dancers, actors, photographers, models, fashion/graphic designers and writers), the order looks like this.

New York - 12,025
Los Angeles - 6,185
Atlanta - 5,525
Washington - 5,020
Chicago - 4,305
Miami - 2,695
Houston - 2,680
Dallas - 2,550
Philadelphia - 2,520
Detroit - 1,995
Bay Area - 1,987
Boston - 434

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-07-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Not at all. They are in the same boat, and you know this. If they are apples to oranges, so are Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas.
Meaning Memphis to Birmingham is not even close to a comparison as Houston to Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You're from DFW, right?
Nope.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
See, you say things like that and then wonder why you find yourself in heated disagreements with people so often. You might not have to "agree to disagree" so much if you would try being a little more objective.
Yes, he's very condescending. He's a transplant though so I wouldn't pay him any mind. Now i hope the thread can go on in peace .

Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

- Name as least one concert venue in any of those cities that had over 15 homegrown R&B/soul/jazz concerts this year? Not talking about national tours or regional tours. Homegrown meaning these concerts are only in said city.

- If I wanted to go out on a Monday night what options would I have in those cities that are jammed packed on Monday night?

Tongue and Groove
Soho Lounge
Magic City

- How many options does a professional black person have if they want to be around other black professionals on Friday night that isn't ghetto?

M BAR, Sweet Auburn Seafood, BQE Lounge, Do at the View, Kats Café, Gold Room, Bottle Bar Midtown, Boogalou, Scales 925, Rose Bar, Negril Village, Prive, etc. (I could name more but I will just keep this list)

- What huge events or a combination of events on a particular weekend brought in at least 70k blacks to any of those city from Sept to Oct of this year?

House in the park, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Festival, Wolf Creek concerts on labor day weekend (75k+)

- What underground/art/soul/underground hip hop venues can I go to that cater to the artsy/soul music crowd? Say that I'm looking for a venue that plays maybe house music or soul music or some underground/classic hip hop?

Studio 7
The Music Room
Edgewood Speakeasy
El Bar
MJQ

Now don't throw out any BS because I will Google search it to make sure its correct.
This doesn't answer my question. Let me expand the question. Do you mean Atlanta has more to offer speaking for only the Black population or the for the entire population as a whole? If you're talking about Black population only, notice I didn't disagree with you as a whole. But if you're talking about the entire population which includes all ethnic backgrounds, etc., I did disagree with you on this.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Charged Up DC Festival | Storey Park (DC) |

Charged Up DC Festival

Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015

Wow. That's simply amazing.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:51 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
The Lula Washington Dance Theatre of Los Angeles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFoXAdeHXHc

Old 10-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Tongue and Groove
Soho Lounge
Magic City

Studio 7
The Music Room
Edgewood Speakeasy
El Bar
MJQ

Where are the sources for these event numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City