Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 07:24 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was going through past posts in this thread and wanted to add to this. Another example of this which somewhat took me pleasantly by surprise is that on the local news in Philly, they will sometimes have health segments for issues that affect Blacks in particular and they actually frame the discussion as such. I actually don't recall seeing that in previous cities I've lived, at least not with similar frequency.
Detroit had/has segments like this as well. I remember watching a segment about Skin Cancer and signs that Black people should watch for. I want to say that it was on WDIV about 20 years ago.

I believe that a newscast in Columbus actually highlighted people from the "Who's Who In Black Columbus" series as well.

While it isn't a city that has been mentioned for this thread, but I know in Rochester NY, they actually put pictures of high school students from the Black Scholars program through the local Urban League in the local newspaper. So, you can occasionally find Black specific topics within mainstream media outlets in some cities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-14-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Did we ever settle on criteria to be considered a black mecca?

I am not sure I even gave one.

Mine is a place where black people are moving to in much larger numbers than other cities because of actual or perceived livability factors.

My definition would exclude an already chocolate city that is receiving new black residents at a pace similar to other large cities or at a slower pace as is the case in LA.

Simple and sweat.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
None of these are black meccas. Not even Atlanta and DC,,, yes I've spent a lot of time in both.... The true black mecca will be empowering. It would be a black city with Republican Ideologies... You can't have black mecca and liberal policies bc those same liberal policies hurt black people the most.

True Black MECCA REQUIREMENTS

- Low High School Drop Out Rate
- High percentage of blacks w/ a college degree (relative to top performing white cities, not black ones)
- High percentage of black owned businesses
- High percentage of consumers that patronize those black owned businesses
- Political Power and Control
- Entertainment (bars,clubs,etc for all ppl across all classes like you said)
- Low unemployment rate
- A city with black pride, black HBCUs, and tons of black culture
- Relatively low crime per 1000

^^Now like I said, Black Mecca will never exist. You have to change the mentality of our people. ATL is one of the most ratchet places I've ever been. DC is better, more professional and it's probably due to the federal government.

But our people need to take pride in self accountability versus govt accountability or white accountability. We are responsible for us. Until we get that, we will not have a true black mecca. Black mecca will have to be a black republican governed city. Not a democratic one. That's the main problem with DC, ATL, Detroit. That's why it's so easy to gentrify black areas.

Since there will never be a black mecca,,, we have to settle for places that are simply best for black people. And I believe places like Houston is the best. We are a large % of that city. It has it's black pride. And we are not the majority like ATL, DC, Detroit. Being the majority isn't bad but being the majority with an entitlement mentality that encourages us to hold everyone else but ourselves accountable is a nightmare. That creates the ratchetness you see in ATL. At least blacks in DC have government jobs that somewhat circumvents what would be complete ratchetness that is created from that kind of liberal mentality. What also circumvents that ratchitness type mentality is not being the majority. 3 out of 4 people in Houston will not be black and we have to assimilate to survive. We are a large enough % to be powerful and make our presence felt. 1 out of 4 people in Houston will be white. And 2 out of 4 will be Hispanic. Throw in an asian every now and then and you have something beautiful down in H-Town.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
None of these are black meccas. Not even Atlanta and DC,,, yes I've spent a lot of time in both.... The true black mecca will be empowering. It would be a black city with Republican Ideologies... You can't have black mecca and liberal policies bc those same liberal policies hurt black people the most.

True Black MECCA REQUIREMENTS

- Low High School Drop Out Rate
- High percentage of blacks w/ a college degree (relative to top performing white cities, not black ones)
- High percentage of black owned businesses
- High percentage of consumers that patronize those black owned businesses
- Political Power and Control
- Entertainment (bars,clubs,etc for all ppl across all classes like you said)
- Low unemployment rate
- A city with black pride, black HBCUs, and tons of black culture
- Relatively low crime per 1000

^^Now like I said, Black Mecca will never exist. You have to change the mentality of our people. ATL is one of the most ratchet places I've ever been. DC is better, more professional and it's probably due to the federal government.

But our people need to take pride in self accountability versus govt accountability or white accountability. We are responsible for us. Until we get that, we will not have a true black mecca. Black mecca will have to be a black republican governed city. Not a democratic one. That's the main problem with DC, ATL, Detroit. That's why it's so easy to gentrify black areas.

Since there will never be a black mecca,,, we have to settle for places that are simply best for black people. And I believe places like Houston is the best. We are a large % of that city. It has it's black pride. And we are not the majority like ATL, DC, Detroit. Being the majority isn't bad but being the majority with an entitlement mentality that encourages us to hold everyone else but ourselves accountable is a nightmare. That creates the ratchetness you see in ATL. At least blacks in DC have government jobs that somewhat circumvents what would be complete ratchetness that is created from that kind of liberal mentality.

No.....just no.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:24 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
No.....just no.
Then what?!

That's what I'm talking about man.... we will never advanced. Stuck on stupid. Keep pulling for liberal policies. Blacks need businesses man. We need to patronize our businesses. We need Republican, pro business ideaologies to succeed. I'm not saying these clown Republicans can make it happen but if a large % of us start to head that way, it can be tailored to fit us.

You want to raise minimum wage, increase baby leave, make employers pay for healthcare.

That's great for a black worker but what about the black employer. Our history already makes it so we are disadvantaged when it comes to going into business. Now you are definitely pricing us out. Blacks love the idea of min wage increase b/c of the mentality thing I speak of.

Whites and govt are accountable for us. They owe us something. That's the trash mentality. We want a pay increase. No, we want businesses. We need to patronize our own businesses and/or only patronize businesses that hire a lot of blacks and promote those same blacks into upper level management. As long as our mentality it to buy a Mercedes cause 2Chaniz got one vs buy a GM b/c they hire tens of thousands more black folks.... we will always have the mentality that someone need to do for us. We need to do for ourselves. We shouldn't want nor need their help.

Keep entry into business low so we can own our own neighborhoods instead of koreans and middle easterners. Blacks will never get on this pro black movement b/c we are busy stabbing eachother in the back. I give up. You can lead a horse to water but it has to drink. I'm done.. Give me diversity in a city that has black culture. I need a city that won't help me (cause I don't need it) and one that won't stand in my way when I need to make stuff happen. You can have ATL

Old 10-14-2015, 03:30 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I understand getting away from the Democratic bandwagon. But I'm not all that keen on jumping on the Republican bandwagon either. Blacks will never see eye to eye with people like Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Old 10-14-2015, 03:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
^^^^Is that the black republican convention?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I understand getting away from the Democratic bandwagon. But I'm not all that keen on jumping on the Republican bandwagon either. Blacks will never see eye to eye with people like Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
i understand getting away from the democratic bandwagon. But i'm not all that keen on jumping on the republican bandwagon either. Blacks will never see eye to eye with people like ted cruz and john cornyn.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City