Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I gotcha!

Have you ever been to Birmingham before? Just asking out of curiosity.
Once a long time ago and it wasn't for long, as it was on the way to Mississippi.

However, when doing research, I noticed that suburbs like Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook and even Hoover, Leeds and Homewood to a lesser degree, weren't as Black as I thought they would be. They are on par with suburbs you would find in many major/mid-major metros outside of the South. All of them are in the 1-20% Black range.

I did notice that some communities outside of Birmingham that have higher black percentages to the point of being overwhelmingly so though.

With that said, you can/could say the same in regards to suburbs in some other Southern metros as well. Especially given how I've noticed that certain suburbs in these areas are popular with non Black transplants that come from other regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Once a long time ago and it wasn't for long, as it was on the way to Mississippi.

However, when doing research, I noticed that suburbs like Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook and even Hoover, Leeds and Homewood to a lesser degree, weren't as Black as I thought they would be. They are on par with suburbs you would find in many major/mid-major metros outside of the South. All of them are in the 1-20% Black range.

I did notice that some communities outside of Birmingham that have higher black percentages to the point of being overwhelmingly so though.

With that said, you can/could say the same in regards to suburbs in some other Southern metros as well. Especially given how I've noticed that certain suburbs in these areas are popular with non Black transplants that come from other regions.
Hoover is becoming blacker by the day, as well as Calera in south Shelby County. St. Clair and Blount Counties make the metro unbalanced, even though Jefferson County has the largest population and black population in the metro area.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Hoover is becoming blacker by the day, as well as Calera in south Shelby County. St. Clair and Blount Counties make the metro unbalanced, even though Jefferson County has the largest population and black population in the metro area.
I did notice that when looking at school demographics, that Hoover's Black student population is increasing, as are the Asian and Hispanic population there too. It is a pretty big suburb. So, there are areas that will be blacker than others like these census tracts: Census Tract 012913 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 014408 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 012912 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 030314 in Shelby County, Alabama

It was 14.8% Black in 2010 out of about 81,000 people.

Relatively recent high school info: Hoover High School

Spain Park High School

Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I did notice that when looking at school demographics, that Hoover's Black student population is increasing, as are the Asian and Hispanic population there too. It is a pretty big suburb. So, there are areas that will be blacker than others like these census tracts: Census Tract 012913 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 014408 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 012912 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Tract 030314 in Shelby County, Alabama

It was 14.8% Black in 2010 out of about 81,000 people.

Relatively recent high school info: Hoover High School

Spain Park High School
Thanks for this.

I really think that Birmingham is starting to come into its own as a small black mecca. It's always reminded me of a blacker Nashville.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Thanks for this.

I really think that Birmingham is starting to come into its own as a small black mecca. It's always reminded me of a blacker Nashville.
Although Birmingham has obvious advantages for Blacks, I'm not sure I'd say it's becoming a small black mecca and that's mainly because of an exceptionally regressive state legislature, especially in matters towards Birmingham, and local history. Atlanta is not stranger to a hostile, backwards state legislature too but it also practically carries the whole state on its shoulders so the dynamic is a bit different.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although Birmingham has obvious advantages for Blacks, I'm not sure I'd say it's becoming a small black mecca and that's mainly because of an exceptionally regressive state legislature, especially in matters towards Birmingham, and local history. Atlanta is not stranger to a hostile, backwards state legislature too but it also practically carries the whole state on its shoulders so the dynamic is a bit different.
That's you.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
That's you.
I don't know why I was actually expecting a substantial response from you.

At any rate, I think the smaller Black hubs (hard to call them meccas) these days include the likes of Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham for starters. I'm tempted to say Nashville also, but I think it's attracting significantly more Whites than Blacks compared to Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know why I was actually expecting a substantial response from you.

At any rate, I think the smaller Black hubs (hard to call them meccas) these days include the likes of Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham for starters. I'm tempted to say Nashville also, but I think it's attracting significantly more Whites than Blacks compared to Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.
You seem to always challenge my stance and take on the areas that I'm from, live in, or familiar with. From my personal view and standpoint, Birmingham holds its own, and it's up and coming.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You seem to always challenge my stance and take on the areas that I'm from, live in, or familiar with. From my personal view and standpoint, Birmingham holds its own, and it's up and coming.
This has nothing to do with you personally, but to break it down to its most basic terms, my point was that the state of Alabama is Birmingham's biggest hindrance in general and has been for some time. Having the support of a more progressive state is what gives cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, and even Richmond a leg up. I don't see how you could even disagree with that.

But what I suspect will happen is that as downtown Birmingham continues its revitalization (which is impressive), you'll see more and more Whites moving into the city and then you'll see the state legislature become less hostile to the city as time goes by.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
No answer to my question, SB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City