Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 12:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,426,032 times

Advertisements

Nashville where I live is pretty conservative and religious and all races and religions get along great. Nashville has some the friendliest black people by far and they thriving here, still would not say we are a Mecca thou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM

92,087 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Nashville where I live is pretty conservative and religious and all races and religions get along great. Nashville has some the friendliest black people by far and they thriving here, still would not say we are a Mecca thou.
It has the potential due to having multiple HBCU institutions, a city/county that is about 28% Black and a growing economy, but it seems like it is trying to be similar to Austin, Portland, etc with a more diverse city/metro population.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It has the potential due to having multiple HBCU institutions, a city/county that is about 28% Black and a growing economy, but it seems like it is trying to be similar to Austin, Portland, etc with a more diverse city/metro population.
I think the major difference with Nashville was that an early city/county consolidation prevented Blacks from gaining considerable collective political power.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
We have a lot of Asian, Latinos and Muslims moving in especially Kurds, its really diverse. Nashville is still mostly thought of as a black and white city thou.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's clearly nothing like Houston yet. Everywhere seems pretty race-conscious except for Houston. Even the uber-liberal places people think wouldn't be race-conscious.

http://static.vibe.com/uploads/2014/...-harvard11.jpg
I thought you've never been to Houston.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,646,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
We have a lot of Asian, Latinos and Muslims moving in especially Kurds, its really diverse. Nashville is still mostly thought of as a black and white city thou.
That's cool.

You still didn't answer my question though. LOL. I asked because I thought you didn't like Houston, and for you to add it to the mix with DC and Atlanta was eye-opening. LOL

Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,410,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought you've never been to Houston.
I was going by what you guys were saying. Houston must be much less race conscious than places like Berkeley and Stanford since Black students on those campuses are still self-segregating despite sharing a campus with some of the most liberal whites in America. So it sounds like Houston might be able to teach the rest of America to not be so race-obsessed.

http://img.scoop.it/anRuJeYE14We0HMb...ZJNZ2ss5Ku7Cxt

http://www.liberalamerica.org/wp-con...ive-racism.png

Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
That's cool.

You still didn't answer my question though. LOL. I asked because I thought you didn't like Houston, and for you to add it to the mix with DC and Atlanta was eye-opening. LOL
I like Houston personally but originally I did not see it as a Black Mecca because its mostly seen as a Latino and Asian and white town. I now see Houston as a mecca for everyone considering it is the fastest growing city in America in the past 4 years.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:41 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,452,277 times
I wonder why Houston is not that race obsessed when the Dallas area is. I have multiple friends from Dallas(white) and they are some of the most racist people in the world. They won't even accept blacks in their fraternities and had to have a full on debate about accepting someone who was half black last year. I also have around 4 friends from Houston and my family lives there and that's not really a problem down there. Guess this goes to show that Houston is in fact the Black Mecca of Texas, not the USA, but Texas at least.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,410,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I wonder why Houston is not that race obsessed when the Dallas area is. I have multiple friends from Dallas(white) and they are some of the most racist people in the world. They won't even accept blacks in their fraternities and had to have a full on debate about accepting someone who was half black last year. I also have around 4 friends from Houston and my family lives there and that's not really a problem down there. Guess this goes to show that Houston is in fact the Black Mecca of Texas, not the USA, but Texas at least.
Race-obsession and racism are two different things. There is little racism in the United States in the way of overt racial animus. The U.S., however, is probably more race-obsessed than the U.K. since race has been an explosive domestic issue here for far longer. The "race obsession" in the U.S. seems to be pretty consistent moving from region to region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City