Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, I think the fact that the Georgia posters here only seem to be preoccupied with what's best for Black people alone, while I am an advocate of what's best for ALL people, might be an indicator that Texans truly are more racially tolerant.
Or maybe we just think our number one priority should be securing our own oxygen masks first. Everyone else puts their own group interests first so I'm not sure why Blacks should be an exception. But that's another discussion for another day.

And you aren't representative of all Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM

183 posts, read 249,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston blacks make more than Atlanta blacks.
Not in all areas. These are 2011 stats. Would be intersted to see more recent data as in 2011, Atlanta was still marred by a recession.

Houston:
http://www.blackdemographics.com/201...%20Profile.pdf

Atlanta:
http://www.blackdemographics.com/201...mographics.pdf

Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Or maybe we just think our number one priority should be securing our own oxygen masks first. Everyone else puts their own group interests first so I'm not sure why Blacks should be an exception. But that's another discussion for another day.
And within every group you have those few, like me, who realize that pledging loyalty to an entire group of people on the basis of skin color is futile...and racist.

Quote:
Which is why I said it might indicate that Texas is more racially tolerant.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
But in the spirit of celebrating Black American culture: the Prairie View A&M Marching Storm

Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
And you would be incorrect.

Last time I checked, the main factor bringing Blacks to Atlanta is COL, and many of them came from communities that were just as if not more Black (Detroit, Philadelphia, etc.)

Well, I think the fact that the Georgia posters here only seem to be preoccupied with what's best for Black people alone, while I am an advocate of what's best for ALL people, might be an indicator that Texans truly are more racially tolerant.
Black people have the lowest household incomes, lowest college degree attainment, highest poverty rates, highest crime rates....uh, yes, black people need to fix problems that are facing their communities first before going out and falling in front of the sword for other groups of people. Why are black people always expected to fight other people's battles, but never our own?

And none of those cities have more black people than Atlanta. Atlanta metro area has the 2nd highest black population in the country, just after NYC at around 2 million. Houston is just as cheap as Atlanta is so COL is not really it.

What makes Atlanta even more unique when it comes to black success is that unlike D.C., Atlanta doesn't have a massive public sector which is where a high ratio of blacks are employed in so blacks are either working in the private sector here or they're starting their own businesses.

Again, I'm all for diversity and melting pots and stuff(I have a lot of Korean friends who are great people) and think it's impressive Houston is as diverse and international as it is, but if anything, doesn't this argue against the concept of a black mecca?

The fact that Atlanta has such a high black percentage in it's metro and it's still as successful as it is means a lot and why it truly makes a case for being a black mecca.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
And within every group you have those few, like me, who realize that pledging loyalty to an entire group of people on the basis of skin color is futile...and racist.
Yeah, because it's not like we've not been opposed at every turn on the basis of skin color and the promotion of our group interests have been in response to that. That's not the case whatsoever.

Quote:
Which is why I said it might indicate that Texas is more racially tolerant.
Well thanks for letting me know that Texas is an #alllivesmatter kind of place. I'll keep my distance.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

That's the thing though. Since blacks are at the bottom of the social ladder, anything that we fight for indirectly helps other groups of people for example, the Civil Rights Movement. While the goal was to grant basic human rights to blacks, it also helped other minorities get those same rights they may not have otherwise had.

Same with this police brutality stuff. While it might seem like blacks are only fighting for blacks, it indirectly helps Latinos and Whites who are also affected by police brutality.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's the thing though. Since blacks are at the bottom of the social ladder, anything that we fight for indirectly helps other groups of people for example, the Civil Rights Movement. While the goal was to grant basic human rights to blacks, it also helped other minorities get those same rights they may not have otherwise had.

Same with this police brutality stuff. While it might seem like blacks are only fighting for blacks, it indirectly helps Latinos and White who are also affected by police brutality.
Somebody said it's racist though...which is probably the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Is the black mecca thing the only thing that Atlanta has going for it? I, mean, y'all will die if someone takes that made up title away.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
But in the spirit of celebrating Black American culture: the Prairie View A&M Marching Storm

Don't forget about Texas Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City