Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah that's why I used the qualifier "high percentage". I would like to live in the city (which I do but working on getting a new apartment) or close to it at least. But not willing to do the roommate thing ever again. Some people also opt for the shared housing thing.
Same here; those days been over for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Rent that's under $1,000 is a rarity inside of the Beltway and particularly in Silver Spring. But then again, "Silver Spring" can be very broadly defined. According to the Census, the median monthly housing cost in the Silver Spring CPD is $1,556 and only 17% of apartments there rent for less than $1,000. Even in Takoma Park, which has a large immigrant population (and consists of largely older apartments), the median housing cost is $1,369 per month. So you should definitely consider yourself part of the lucky few.
Being that I've lived in a few places, I know how to scout a deal. When I was checking out apartments before moving, I even checked one out in NE DC just a few dollars cheaper a month than my current apartment. If people give themselves enough time and do their due diligence, they can definitely cop a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Rent that's under $1,000 is a rarity inside of the Beltway and particularly in Silver Spring. But then again, "Silver Spring" can be very broadly defined. According to the Census, the median monthly housing cost in the Silver Spring CPD is $1,556 and only 17% of apartments there rent for less than $1,000. Even in Takoma Park, which has a large immigrant population (and consists of largely older apartments), the median housing cost is $1,369 per month. So you should definitely consider yourself part of the lucky few.

One of the things I don't like about DC, is that it seems like a lot of apartments aren't first-come-first-served. In most other cities I've lived in, the first qualified candidate who writes a check gets the apartment. In DC, it's more common to pick-and-choose. My NBPOC sister-in-law found a VERY large 1BR in a decent Columbia Heights building for $1100/mo in 2013. She said they chose her out of 20 applicants. I can't help but wonder how many of the 20 were black.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:36 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Being that I've lived in a few places, I know how to scout a deal. When I was checking out apartments before moving, I even checked one out in NE DC just a few dollars cheaper a month than my current apartment. If people give themselves enough time and do their due diligence, they can definitely cop a deal.
Still a rarity. There are only so many units being offered at that price. Most landlords aren't going to offer rent that low because they know someone is willing to pay considerably more than that. But you do, on occasion, here about people who score great deals.

I look at rents on CL every single day to see if I'm in line with the market. It's nearly impossible to pay less than $1,000 in DC unless you qualify for low-income housing or have a family member who's willing to cut you a break on rent. Or you don't mind living in a fringe neighborhood that's not well-served by transit.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Still a rarity. There are only so many units being offered at that price. Most landlords aren't going to offer rent that low because they know someone is willing to pay considerably more than that. But you do, on occasion, here about people who score great deals.

I look at rents on CL every single day to see if I'm in line with the market. It's nearly impossible to pay less than $1,000 in DC unless you qualify for low-income housing or have a family member who's willing to cut you a break on rent. Or you don't mind living in a fringe neighborhood that's not well-served by transit.
My neighborhood isn't fringe but the SS Metro is only about a 10 minute drive. But I'm a Southerner that believes in having a car anyway, so transit access is nice to have (well maybe not as much these days in DC) but not a necessity.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
There are only so many places you can live if you want all of those urban amenities (transit, 90+ walkscore, restaurants, etc.) in a majority Black neighborhood. Almost all of them are in NYC with maybe one or two in DC.
You know, this is something that will change with time I believe. As young educated black people move back into black neighborhoods, the socioeconomic stats for those neighborhoods are changing. It's going to take a complete flip and increased density for retail to work in these neighborhoods though. NYC is able to provide their level of retail because of zoning and high density. The only way other black neighborhoods will be able to do the same is to change the zoning to allow high density also. With the looming $15 minimum wage bill, D.C. needs to expand density everywhere anyway because that is the only way retail will be able to survive.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
One of the things I don't like about DC, is that it seems like a lot of apartments aren't first-come-first-served. In most other cities I've lived in, the first qualified candidate who writes a check gets the apartment. In DC, it's more common to pick-and-choose. My NBPOC sister-in-law found a VERY large 1BR in a decent Columbia Heights building for $1100/mo in 2013. She said they chose her out of 20 applicants. I can't help but wonder how many of the 20 were black.
It seems that depends on the type of apartment you're applying for. If you're applying for an apartment in a new 600 unit building, then it will likely come down to just your credit history, income and criminal background (if any). If you're dealing with a smaller building, then the landlord or agent may be more picky. And they can afford to be.

In New York, it's common for people to be on a waiting list for years to get into certain buildings.

Rents are much lower in Chicago. I've heard of brand-spanking new units in Bronzeville that can't rent out for $700.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Yes I tell my dad and my family in Chicago all the time. Rent is cheaper in Chicago compared to DC.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It seems that depends on the type of apartment you're applying for. If you're applying for an apartment in a new 600 unit building, then it will likely come down to just your credit history, income and criminal background (if any). If you're dealing with a smaller building, then the landlord or agent may be more picky. And they can afford to be.

In New York, it's common for people to be on a waiting list for years to get into certain buildings.

Rents are much lower in Chicago. I've heard of brand-spanking new units in Bronzeville that can't rent out for $700.
Wow! And I hear good things about Bronzeville...seems to be a great example of a Black neighborhood that's undergoing revitalization without gentrification.

I wonder if that's the case in Philly too, another big, relatively inexpensive city.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You know, this is something that will change with time I believe. As young educated black people move back into black neighborhoods
A lot of educated Blacks have never lived in a Black neighborhood. Minor point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It's going to take a complete flip and increased density for retail to work in these neighborhoods though. NYC is able to provide their level of retail because of zoning and high density. The only way other black neighborhoods will be able to do the same is to change the zoning to allow high density also. With the looming $15 minimum wage bill, D.C. needs to expand density everywhere anyway because that is the only way retail will be able to survive.
The problem is that there aren't enough affluent Blacks to stimulate that type of demand. While there are approximately 80,000 Blacks earning six figures in the DC area, there are 430,000 Whites earning six figures or more. The bottom line is that they (Whites) have the numbers to completely remake large swathes of inner cities while we do not. I know lots of young Black professionals who live EOTR who complain about the lack of services and amenities and they're not going to get them anytime soon because all of the variables businesses look for (high incomes, educational attainment, etc.) are not there. And the only way to get higher income levels is to (a) have half of the educated Blacks in the DC metro area move to Wards 7 and 8 or (b) have more non-Black people move to the area. Given recent history, I'd say that Option B sounds like the more realistic of those two possibilities.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wow! And I hear good things about Bronzeville...seems to be a great example of a Black neighborhood that's undergoing revitalization without gentrification.

I wonder if that's the case in Philly too, another big, relatively inexpensive city.
Philly also has low rents. Though there are some exceptions in Center City and maybe one or two other prime areas, the rents are relatively cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City