Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
1) Most blacks who move to the DFW area move to the suburbs rather than the central cities themselves (unlike Houston, where you'll see blacks in the Central city inside the loop and the suburbs) and are more dispersed throughout the metro, particularly in the northern suburbs like Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney...one of my nephews moved there with some friends of his, all in their early 20s, and they didn't even think to look in the city of Dallas because apartments were either too expensive in the "hot" areas, or too ghetto/ratchet in South Dallas or in the Five Points area in NE Dallas. They chose Arlington and Grand Prairie instead. You do have a lot of blacks that relocate to the southern suburbs like DeSoto, Lancaster, and Cedar Hill, but they're far outnumbered by the native blacks who have been leaving South Dallas for the past few decades. There are areas of South Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Mesquite and Garland that are popular for blacks too, but the hot areas are closer to the job centers in Plano, so they tend to be discussed more. If you're commuting to DT Dallas, then the Southern Suburbs or Mesquite are good options.

1a) Anecdotally, it seems that DFW is more popular for black families while black singles seem to prefer Houston. Family-oriented people aren't going to be in the scene/mix the way singles are and have more important things to worry about than nightlife or going to the latest art events, therefore, reflecting the comparative lack of black culture (which is usually driven by singles or DINKs) in DFW in contrast to Houston.

2) The native blacks tend to stick to areas south of Interstate 30. And there was never an extensive middle-class black community in Dallas or Fort Worth that was equivalent to the Third Ward in Houston. And a lot of black neighborhoods in Dallas were torn down for freeways roughly 50 years ago. There was also never a large HBCU presence in Dallas like there has been in the Houston area, so that has an effect on the culture too, since HBCU's are incubators of black culture in many cities.

3) A few black posters from the DFW area who transplanted there also refer to the whole dynamic of Black Natives vs. Transplants there and how the two don't get along or mix well with each other (because the natives seem to be quite insular and hostile to newcomers), but I'll leave that to them to discuss that. There's more that I could say, but the natives of DFW tend to get very defensive about this particular issue.
because it's untrue,

First off all major cities have hoods, Across America there a pattern of Minorities living in the city and it get whiter the futher out you go because of white flight. And over time some of those outer suburbs may become more diverse. DFW, Houston, ATL, Chicago and etc etc are no acceptation to this,

No black transplants everywhere would want to live in a hood everywhere no matter what city. Of course blacks from Baltimore wouldn't want to move to DFW hood. People wouldn't want to move to the hood in their own cities neither less another city's hood.

When I live in Arlington where I went school I knew black kids, from Chicago, New York, Mississippi, Louisiana, Cali, and heck of Kids born in Fort Worth and Dallas city proper. So the whole Black Natives vs. Transplants you stated is completely false. You ever told you this had a weird experience with a native or relo and misleading you.

It's also important to understand DFW in general is more multipolar then Houston. Not just the city of Dallas but Fort Worth also has Historic black neighborhoods as well in other areas in Tarrant. So blacks aren't central in DFW because DFW itself isn't centralize.

Quote:
"The native blacks tend to stick to areas south of Interstate 30."
I wouldn't say 30 and not just native blacks but North of Tarrant and Dallas counties in general are less diverse.

I also would separate the mid cities, Arlington, Grand Prairie Irving from Northern suburbs because they are between the cities and are in the two most populated counties. So they viewed more as inner suburban region vs The Northern suburbs like Denton and Plano which another ball game being younger and less diverse areas.

It's almost like taking about The Woodlands to Houston or forsyth county to Atlanta.

Last edited by chiatldal; 03-28-2018 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wouldn’t put Chicago in that same tier as DC, Atlanta, or NYC today. While I do disagree with him that Houston is much stronger than DFW for Black culture, Houston is still seen as the more popular city between the two with a slightly stronger culture. It helps that Houston has two large HBCU’s in its metro area. Dallas doesn’t have this.
I wouldn't put NYC in the top tier today either.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I would, based on sheer numbers alone.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
NYC Is definitely in top tier. As usual Kodeblue being bias to the south and not giving credit where it’s due. Let’s argue because even on this thread when salaries for blacks in major cities were reveleaed. NYc was one of the top cities. NYC has one of the largest black middle classes in America. FACTS!

Cost of living is the only con of Black life in this city!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:42 PM

And I also remember a few weeks back you said NYC blacks were a shell of its former self. That’s also a lie since NYCs black middle class is much larger today than it was from the 60s to early 90s while the 70s - 90s for black life in NYC was terrible due to high crime and heroin and crack epedemic.

The Black middle in Middle class would further explode once Caribbean immigrants migrated here in large numbers and started taking over former Italian neighborhoods like Canarsie, Rosedale, Laurelton etc.

The only way NYC isn’t a top tier city is if you are excluding every black person from this topic except African Americans which is BS to me.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I would, based on sheer numbers alone.
In 2018? It's gonna have to be more than the sheer numbers. NYC's black neighborhoods are being gentrified beyond recognition, and it's being well documented.

Before the 2000s, NYC was no doubt a top tier city.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
NYC Is definitely in top tier. As usual Kodeblue being bias to the south and not giving credit where it’s due. Let’s argue because even on this thread when salaries for blacks in major cities were reveleaed. NYc was one of the top cities. NYC has one of the largest black middle classes in America. FACTS!

Cost of living is the only con of Black life in this city!
I don't want to argue with you, black man. We can peacefully disagree.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
In 2018? It's gonna have to be more than the sheer numbers. NYC's black neighborhoods are being gentrified beyond recognition, and it's being well documented.

We're looking at metropolitan areas here and not just the central cities themselves. Otherwise we'd have to exclude DC and even Atlanta from consideration here.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We're looking at metropolitan areas here and not just the central cities themselves. Otherwise we'd have to exclude DC and even Atlanta from consideration here.
City proper alone DC would still be a better black city than 90% of the US.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Lol @ “NYCs black neighborhoods are being gentrified beyond recognition”

Kodeblue you do not live in NYC and neither know much about it!

NYC’s black neighborhoods are much larger than Harlem and Northern Brookyln
You don’t honestly think the cities population of 2 million black folks single handily reside in these two sections of the city do you?

Queens county one of the most well respected counties in America as far as Black middle class is not being gentrified and those middle class areas are still 90% + Black. Same applies to the North Bronx and same applies to a few areas in southern Brooklyn such as Canarsie, East Flatbush and Flatlands.

Before 2000 NYC was actually at a much lower tier since a few of the Black middle class neighborhoods like Mill Basin and Canarsie were actually still white Italian areas in the early 90s.

So how NYC black tier lower if the middle class grew after the 1990s?

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 03-29-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City