Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 04:01 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,349,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How would you even know about a comment made about NYC in the Baltimore forum in the first place?

It's my fault for engaging in the trivial foolishness. I won't put that on you.

As far as the topic is concerned, I still don't have NYC as a top tier as a black Mecca. You're telling me about neighborhoods that people outside of NYC ( tourists) don't know exist. DC feels like a black city, though that has definitely faded, Atlanta feels like a black city. In fact, Atlanta feels like The Black City. Baltimore is a black city, but it unfortunately isn't prominent for anything positive among it's black population, so it is disqualified as a Mecca.
Because I saw it.

So now looking at other forums means = to talking and posting about cities.

This is why I don’t bother to read the rest of your post. You talk like a 5 year old. Literally lmao!

I could care less what you consider a top tier just as long as I proved your creteria to be incorrect is what I care about

It’s clear that the other posters seem to think NYC is one of the top tier and with good reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
What other cities outside of DC and Atlanta can make the claim as the Black Mecca? Oakland was a prominent city for blacks back in the day, but is it still that way? Chicago, Memphis, Detroit?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:54 PM

I was snooping around online and happen to jump into this article here

https://www.essence.com/videos/best-...ls-six-figures

“Atlanta has been referred to as a Black Mecca since the 1970s, the city is the center of black wealth, political power,”

So more proof that Harlem was indeed nowhere near a black mecca 25 years ago!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What other cities outside of DC and Atlanta can make the claim as the Black Mecca? Oakland was a prominent city for blacks back in the day, but is it still that way? Chicago, Memphis, Detroit?
Didn’t you jus say that decreasing population (Detroit/Chicago) And gentrification beyond recognition (Oakland) disqualify cities from being black mecca?

Here’s a good city to recommend that doesn’t contradict your requirements. Charlotte , North Carolina and Houston, TX

High stable healthy black populations and cities not riddled to death with crime and poverty amongst black folks!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:22 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
While I still include NYC with Atlanta and DC, I understand the reasoning of those who don't. There's no doubt that gentrification, which is just on another level in NYC, is pushing Blacks out of the city and region altogether but at this point, NYC still retains enough Black people apsynd culture to remain in that top tier. Whether that will last or how long it will last remains to be seen.

As far as Harlem goes, I completely understand why it's being mentioned as frequently as it is. It is arguably the first neighborhood that comes to mind for many people, Black and otherwise, when talking about notable Black neighborhoods in America. Although the neighborhood declined like so many others in the 70's, 80's, and 90's during the heroin then crack epidemics and the War on Drugs, what's been happening over the past 10-15 years or so is different because the demographics of the neighborhood has undergone very noticeable changes and with that has come the "mainstreaming" of the neighborhood and the closure of Black establishments and institutions. Those are highly visible changes that are just hard to ignore and it just has more of a psychological, jarring effect which just tells you off the bat that things are really changing. In DC, I know of a few churches in the city that have moved out to the suburbs (mainly PG County) as their parishioners have done so, and developers have also offered these churches a pretty penny to sell. In Harlem, there is a church on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd that has been a fixture there for almost a century that happens to be the headquarters of the denomination I was raised in. In reading about the history of our denomination and the profiles of its leaders, I came to know a lot about it as an institution and the role it has played in Harlem since its founding. If ever the day came that the church relocated or was sold or razed, in my mind that would be the absolute death knell of Harlem as an authentic Black neighborhood and would personally be a rather sad, sad day. I hope that day never comes but it remains to be seen.
I hope that doesn't happen either, but it appears that money doesn't care about history, unfortunately. My former church built a mega church in 1996, then sold it to the city not even 15 years later for an even larger mega church.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,270,739 times
Criteria:

1. Become like Wakanda.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Criteria:

1. Become like Wakanda.
That would have to happen in Africa!

And in that sense I hope Ghana is the one to get closest to Wakanda since the county’s looks to be making strides!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:27 AM

“Is Atlanta in danger is losing its Black Mecca status”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...status-n825996

Mutiny77 what do you think or make of this article?

Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM

I wasn’t aware that Atlanta was going through a decrease in the percentage of black folks either. I was under the impression based of people moving down south that the black percentages grew like crazy down there but in reality it was one of the major American cities that was loosing percentages in Black folks!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Criteria:

1. Become like Wakanda.
Black Panther was filmed in Atlanta, therefore Atlanta is Wakanda.

Unrelated, related story: I had an opportunity to be an extra in the film as a friend was on the local casting team, but sadly I could not partake. They were casting passers-by for the Wakanda street scenes with "classically African features". My high yellow self would stick out like sore thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City