U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thanksgiving vacation
Atlanta 28 40.00%
Philly 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 AM

8,203 posts, read 4,406,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta gets (or should get) mentions in history books for its role in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement, but of course Philadelphia is simply a city hard to beat when it comes to early American history in particular; Boston is probably its only peer there.
Not quite relevant to the thread. But Philadelphia's 19th century history is something most people seem to ignore. Phila played a huge part in why the Union ended up winning the Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 AM

8,203 posts, read 4,406,389 times
Quote:
Atlanta probably bests Philly in the commercial category, with the huge convention/tradeshow industry there (if that's what's meant by commercial). "Group" and "leisure" would be interesting to see though. A lot of the folks visiting the museums and such are in sizable groups.
Would it make sense now to describe Atlanta as "Hollywood East"? It's film/TV production has really grown.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 AM

27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not quite relevant to the thread. But Philadelphia's 19th century history is something most people seem to ignore. Phila played a huge part in why the Union ended up winning the Civil War.
I was simply responding to someone else's comment about Atlanta not being mentioned in history books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Would it make sense now to describe Atlanta as "Hollywood East"? It's film/TV production has really grown.
It's been called that, or rather "Hollywood South" a lot lately.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,308,701 times
To the OP (if you're still there): The media will likely shine quite a bit of light on Philly this weekend due to the pope's visit.

BTW, I'm still wondering if any Atlanta poster has an answer to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
While the above pix are fairly well-known Philly icons, I personally can't think of a single image that comes to my mind when I think of Atlanta. Certainly none as easy recognized as any of the 5 above.
I'm not trying to be snarky. I am genuinely interested in learning if I've overlooked a well-known icon or two.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM

27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be snarky. I am genuinely interested in learning if I've overlooked a well-known icon or two.
No, Atlanta doesn't have any landmarks as recognizable as Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the LOVE sculpture, etc. But Stone Mountain, the MLK Historic Site, and Centennial Olympic Park are worth mentioning.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
No, Atlanta doesn't have any landmarks as recognizable as Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the LOVE sculpture, etc. But Stone Mountain, the MLK Historic Site, and Centennial Olympic Park are worth mentioning.
Yes, these all seem like interesting places to visit. The difference is that Philadelphia is more of a tourist destination than Atlanta. By that, I mean people are more likely to travel to Philly to see the sites than Atlanta, which offers sites to see if you happen to be there. I hope the distinction is clear.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:53 AM

975 posts, read 808,291 times
Quote:
Yes, these all seem like interesting places to visit. The difference is that Philadelphia is more of a tourist destination than Atlanta. By that, I mean people are more likely to travel to Philly to see the sites than Atlanta, which offers sites to see if you happen to be there. I hope the distinction is clear.
I agree, Philadelphia has the far more iconic attractions and in a condensed area downtown, which is another advantage. I haven't been to Philly in a long time, and I'd love to visit again. I know there has been quite a resurgence in the city.

Quick question - is South Street the main area for nightlife?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 AM

^^^ I'm the last one to ask about nightlife (I'm 60), but here's my take. Within Center City, I would say there are three main concentrations of nightlife:

- The most sophisticated spots are found in the Rittenhouse Square vicinity,
- Old City is the place that attracts more tourists, and
- South Street appeals to those who want to get drunk.

This fails to take into account the Gayborhood as well as neighborhoods outside of Center City including Manayunk, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Passyunk and others I'm a sure I'm leaving out.

I'm happy to concede that I'm off-base if others are more familiar with the nightlife scene.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,594,417 times
Tourist numbers don't put Philly above Atlanta though when it comes to visitors and tourists. Atlanta had a higher share in domestic and international visitors. The truth is people around the world hear more about Atlanta than they do Philly these days.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Tourist numbers don't put Philly above Atlanta though when it comes to visitors and tourists. Atlanta had a higher share in domestic and international visitors. The truth is people around the world hear more about Atlanta than they do Philly these days.
I see no data to support your assertions, but I nevertheless do agree that there are likely more foreigners who have at least heard of Atlanta than have heard of Philly. To a major extent, I would guess that the Olympics and the airport account for a share of this familiarity. That is why the pope's visit will hopefully raise Philly's profile with people outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or