Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thanksgiving vacation
Atlanta 28 40.00%
Philly 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Weekends? Those buses operate 7 days a week, and depending upon the weather/time of year, are filled with tourists who, more than likely, have no roots in Philly.
I've noted the buses have been running into December and re-starting in late February/early March. Also, the "Philly by Night" busses seem to be a hit. At $27 a pop, they are not filled by locals.

Anyone who feels Philly is not a significant tourist draw hasn't spent much time here. We visited as tourists from Houston in 2008. We were so impressed, we moved here in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 AM

44 posts, read 51,230 times
Philadelphia is a city we all learn about in the history books. Atlanta is not.

The early American history alone is reason enough. I myself have a BA in history and thats a major reason why Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities in the country. Top 5. The history there is unrivaled.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post

The early American history alone is reason enough. I myself have a BA in history and thats a major reason why Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities in the country. Top 5. The history there is unrivaled.
Atlanta gets (or should get) mentions in history books for its role in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement, but of course Philadelphia is simply a city hard to beat when it comes to early American history in particular; Boston is probably its only peer there.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM

7,245 posts, read 10,480,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Anyone who feels Philly is not a significant tourist draw hasn't spent much time here. We visited as tourists from Houston in 2008. We were so impressed, we moved here in 2011.
Interestingly, Philadelphia's fastest-growing travel segment by far is in the "leisure" category: Halftime Report: Leisure Tourism Occupancy Having A Record Year In Philadelphia - Official Philadelphia Tourism Pressroom - visitphilly.com

The leisure segment is also fairly evenly divided with "group" and "commercial" segments. It would be interesting to see how Atlanta compares with these numbers.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Interestingly, Philadelphia's fastest-growing travel segment by far is in the "leisure" category: Halftime Report: Leisure Tourism Occupancy Having A Record Year In Philadelphia - Official Philadelphia Tourism Pressroom - visitphilly.com

The leisure segment is also fairly evenly divided with "group" and "commercial" segments. It would be interesting to see how Atlanta compares with these numbers.
Atlanta probably bests Philly in the commercial category, with the huge convention/tradeshow industry there (if that's what's meant by commercial). "Group" and "leisure" would be interesting to see though. A lot of the folks visiting the museums and such are in sizable groups.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Weekends? Those buses operate 7 days a week, and depending upon the weather/time of year, are filled with tourists who, more than likely, have no roots in Philly.
Just got out from a long walk on a beautiful day. I got to thinking that not only the double decker tourist buses are filled on most days, visitors also tour the city via duck boats, horse drawn carriages, walking tours and even by segway:

I also started thinking about the Philly icons that are relatively well-known:

(all pix mine)

While the above pix are fairly well-known Philly icons, I personally can't think of a single image that comes to my mind when I think of Atlanta. Certainly none as easy recognized as any of the 5 above.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:07 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,859,433 times
OP just flip a coin, and enjoy some place new if you are not going to be with extended family over the holidays. Plenty to do in both, I get the argument on both sides, but honestly since there are kids in the mix, it's not that big of a deal, and both have things that they would enjoy.

https://youtu.be/5bQx7KUD0f4

https://youtu.be/ANNPp8XMqYE

Old 09-20-2015, 07:01 PM

19 posts, read 29,756 times
- I inline skate around Philadelphia 2-3 times per week, have for 15 years and have yet to get tired of the landscape -- there's always something going on (Festivals / Parades / New Construction / etc.). Just wander around Center City / University City / and walk across the Benjamin Franklin bridge (It's a must!)...take in the density of the city. Walk streets like Spruce/Walnut/Chestnut/Market/Locust/South/Pine/Arch/J.F.K. Blvd/Lombard/Sansom from Front St. to at least 40th St. That will provide the experience you're probably looking for. Also, our Thanksgiving day parade (America's Oldest) is worth experiencing at least once.

- Apr - Oct is our peak season, but there's something magical about Halloween to NYE in the Northeast...as other posters have indicated. Many have mentioned making the trek out to KOP, but it's really not necessary any longer. Center City / University City / & the surrounding downtown fringe neighborhoods have more than enough of whatever you're looking for...and our dining scene is probably the most underrated, as far as perception, in the U.S.

Relevant Links:

Thanksgiving Week in Philadelphia 2014 — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Foobooz - Philadelphia Magazine <---- (What to eat)

Last edited by Methedy23; 09-20-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
LOL...These responses are funny ;-)....for me there is just something so snazzy in the air when it is the holidays Turkey Day the main event for me....nothing like a nice colddddd chill on thanksgiving and that food is cooking and all the activities and craziness going on the day after turkey day. Bundled and Scarfed up ;-)
I agree. Choose Philadelphia.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post

Sherman's March destroyed Atlanta in 1864 so that made a bunch of American history books. Well, I'm sure you know that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City