Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer overall?
New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, and CT) 28 36.84%
Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, and DE) 48 63.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times

Advertisements

I'm not one to typically initiate these types of threads, but upon searching for this topic I was very surprised to see these two distinct regions of the Northeast, and frankly of the US, have never really been compared/contrasted in its own dedicated thread on city-data.

So, I think question deserves asking: which region of the Northeast do you prefer? While I know there's some discrepancy with the term "Mid-Atlantic," I'd appreciate if we could avoid that discussion (i.e., I recognize that Maryland/DC metroplex is heavily associated with the Mid-Atlantic, but let's exclude it as to make this comparison fairer). For the purpose of this thread, the sub-regions include:

New England
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut

Mid-Atlantic
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware

Consider all of the traditional aspects, such as scenery, weather, cost-of-living, amenties, and general quality-of-life features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Hmmm.... NYC makes the Mid-Atlantic such a heavy hitter and perhaps imbalanced to a degree to those that don't know New England. Just not feeling this as an apples to apples comparison. As far as cities go, well Boston alone can't compete with DC, Philly, and the heavyweight that is NYC which always comes out on top. I like the smaller quaint coastal cities of New England that exude their own urban charms. Places like Portland, Maine feel like a little Boston microcosm.

That aside, New England is home. I prefer the coastal regions of New England over the Mid-Atlantic in terms of variety with the historic coastal seaports and rocky harbors of places like Newport, RI, Salem, MA, Portsmouth, NH, and Portland, Maine, islands like Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Block Island, and the rocky islands and lighthouses off the Maine coast. New England also generally has more impressive mountains than the Mid Atlantic ranges.

The Mid-Atlantic can match a lot of what New England has in terms of quality of life. There are quaint and pastoral centuries old villages with colonial charm in Vermont, though that's easily found in Pennsylvania as well with their own distinctive charm, look, and feel. The Mid-Atlantic shoreline has its own magic in the barrier islands, particularly in the undeveloped areas like Assateague Island's wild ponies on the beaches in Maryland. The boardwalk towns have their own charm and nostalgia as well. The Mid Atlantic's urban corridor is unmatched in terms of proximity to multiple urban/metro areas.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-16-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
New York State shares a border with Canada, there is nothing "mid" Atlantic about it. And unfortunately in no way shape or form could Maryland especially, and/or DC and VA for that matter be excluded from any discussion regarding the mid Atlantic states as they are the epicenter of the mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Shouldn't Washington, D.C and Maryland/Northern Va be considered in this poll because they deff aren't the south.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:35 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I love the North East. I am from NY. Born in NYC and raised on Long Island. And NYC really has it all. World class in every way.

But I went to college in New England and my heart is there, Now I live in Ohio. My eldest goes to college in Vermont, and my younger kid attends college in Massachusetts - at my Alma Mater. I love visiting New England. There is a feeling and a spirit there that is so American - yet so accepting and open.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
New York State shares a border with Canada, there is nothing "mid" Atlantic about it. And unfortunately in no way shape or form could Maryland especially, and/or DC and VA for that matter be excluded from any discussion regarding the mid Atlantic states as they are the epicenter of the mid-Atlantic.
His classification of states is the one that is generally accepted.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
His classification of states is the one that is generally accepted.
No it isn't! His classification of Mid-Atlantic is one that is antiquated, outdated, and generally unused in normal conversation...

I lived in New York State. It is never referred to by natives as Mid-Atlantic. I spent a lot of time in Central/North Central PA. Same deal...

I get tired of having these conversations. The heart of the Mid-Atlantic, in 2015 and probably going back at least 25 years, is Baltimore-DC, that included the surrounding regions in VA and MD, and any topic speaking of Mid-Atlantic loses credibility if those two cities/regions aren't included...

The Mid-Atlantic in the most logical, realistic form includes the Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Charlottesville areas of VA; all of Maryland except for 'maybe' the panhandle; all of Delaware, and 'maybe' South Central and Southeast PA, and South Jersey, but that's as far north as it could potentially go. And I gotta say, I had family in Harrisburg, spent some time there---"Mid-Atlantic" isn't a geographic designation they use there...

Old 09-17-2015, 06:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,813 times
This is a joke, but Fairfield County GET THE **** OUT OF NEW ENGLAND. Giants and Jets fans need not apply.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
No it isn't! His classification of Mid-Atlantic is one that is antiquated, outdated, and generally unused
I noted in the beginning that this wasn't intended to start a debate of regional classification. I simply thought it would be interesting to compare/contrast the two sub-regions of the Northeast.

I recognize that areas further south are absolutely part of the Mid-Atlantic, but states such as NY, NJ, PA and DE are definiyely considered to be the northern portion of the Mid-Atlantic region. They're the non- New England Northeast.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Hmmm.... NYC makes the Mid-Atlantic such a heavy hitter and perhaps imbalanced to a degree to those that don't know New England.
I agree that New England might not have quite the same exposure, especially when NYC is in the compared region, but I think when you look at these two Northeast portions "overall," and not just which one has greater urban areas, I think a good argument could be made for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City