U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2015, 06:08 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,646,436 times
Reputation: 8513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I just don't understand the significance of north Louisiana to warrant an acronym.

I had never heard NoVa before C-D but I understand the significance.
Lol.

(In case you're actually serious... NOLA is New Orleans, LA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2015, 06:10 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I just don't understand the significance of north Louisiana to warrant an acronym.

I had never heard NoVa before C-D but I understand the significance.
Why does something need to be significant to have an acronym or nickname? Sometimes they are just used by locals, so there is no need for significance in your world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,967 posts, read 1,938,119 times
Reputation: 2440
^ because people post them in an internet forum with the assumption that the readers in another part of the country/world understands them.

a new one for me would be dot.
(hint: something in boston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 02:12 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,430,929 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
"The City"=San Francisco, that was new to me.
Whenever I hear or see someone talking about "The City," I automatically think Manhattan. The only reason I even knew that was also a nickname for San Francisco is because I remember seeing it on the Golden State Warriors uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Florida and New England
1,101 posts, read 1,304,562 times
Reputation: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ because people post them in an internet forum with the assumption that the readers in another part of the country/world understands them.

a new one for me would be dot.
(hint: something in boston).
Dot Avenue, or even worse "The Avenue."

Other Boston-specific references that may be elusive to out-of-towners:

"The Hub"
"Commonwealth Mall" (no shopping there)
"Back Bay"
"The Combat Zone"
"The T" (and also, "The El" in Chicago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Florida and New England
1,101 posts, read 1,304,562 times
Reputation: 1358
Another list of esoteric place names would be airport nicknames:

Bradley
Logan
LaGuardia
Hartsfield
O'Hare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,967 posts, read 1,938,119 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Dot Avenue, or even worse "The Avenue."

Other Boston-specific references that may be elusive to out-of-towners:

"The Hub"
"Commonwealth Mall" (no shopping there)
"Back Bay"
"The Combat Zone"
"The T" (and also, "The El" in Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Another list of esoteric place names would be airport nicknames:

Bradley
Logan
LaGuardia
Hartsfield
O'Hare
i heard of all those except for commonwealth mall and bradley and hartsfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: The City
21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Reputation: 7489
funny thing is Hartsfield is the largest airport in the world

this is kind of an interesting thread though

I have always been a city/geogrphy geek so knew many but some still get me

nicknames like space city I never before here

SF as the city agree with an earlier poster that unles talking locally (which i the cae in many cities) it is always manhattan to me

IE definately more on here

and I have realized based on pasts that I have mistakenly thought I lived in the mid atlantic most of my life and that the mid atlantic may not be part of the northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Austin
587 posts, read 617,945 times
Reputation: 1041
Orlampa was a new one to me. Also, all those silly contraction names for neighborhoods, like SoCo in Austin for South Congress. In the last few years, it seems every city everywhere invents these silly new nicknames for areas.

Anything that was in an atlas, I knew. I read the Rand McNally atlas like it was a best selling novel. I can't believe people never heard of Puget Sound. I thought this site was filled with geography nerds like myself. As a 12 yo in the Ozarks of Arkansas, I knew of the Puget Sound.

Just saw another thread's title and I want to add Knowledge Corridor here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,967 posts, read 1,938,119 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
funny thing is Hartsfield is the largest airport in the world

this is kind of an interesting thread though

I have always been a city/geogrphy geek so knew many but some still get me

nicknames like space city I never before here

SF as the city agree with an earlier poster that unles talking locally (which i the cae in many cities) it is always manhattan to me

IE definately more on here

and I have realized based on pasts that I have mistakenly thought I lived in the mid atlantic most of my life and that the mid atlantic may not be part of the northeast
i always call it atlanta airpoirt
could be either seattle or houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top